Top 100 Lists for 2015

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well Azpi is apparently one of the best FB in the game according to that ranking.

Yet, he's just a solid FB that brings pretty much nothing offensively. Aurier has an Azpi in each foot. Same with Alves, Lahm, Alaba, etc...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That fantasy list is much much worse...you have guys like Lucas and Sakho ahead of guys like Ribery,Masch. Some of the picks are based on age which throws the list out of whack. Makes it even funnier that Dybala isn't on the list.

Considering it's 100 players deep the 442 list isn't all that bad but you'll get a few odd picks as to be expected.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It is awful. And I'd say that fantasy draft list (and yes I said it's obviously different from a "best" list) is still better.
Look at the top CBs taken. It still makes more sense than 442's. Same with keepers.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It is awful. And I'd say that fantasy draft list (and yes I said it's obviously different from a "best" list) is still better.
Look at the top CBs taken. It still makes more sense than 442's. Same with keepers.

Well I really do want to get into this... but the keepers list isn't that far off the first 3 are the exact same.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Couple of things:

Obviously either list is perfect. The FFT list overrates players with strong reputations in the Champions League and international competitions, while the Fantasy list (needless to say) overrates players with high upsides (though Lewandowski and Muller were both selected outside of the top 25...?).

Agreed that Verratti is the most 'poorly ranked' player on the FFT list.

Someone laughed about FFT's first 2 CBs being Godin and Chiellini. While Chiellini is overrated I think Godin is at the same or a similar level as Silva and Ramos and may have more intangibles than both those two (as a calming presence for instance).

Surprised no one has commented on Giovinco at 94. I thought this board had a lot of North Americans?

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Of all the names you could have an issue with you pick Azpi? Sure, the rankings make no sense, but he is one of the better fullbacks in the world and was a vital part of the solid defensive line that won the league last season.

Az is insulated in Mourinho's system and does nothing offensively. Shouldn't be on this list.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Someone laughed about FFT's first 2 CBs being Godin and Chiellini. While Chiellini is overrated I think Godin is at the same or a similar level as Silva and Ramos and may have more intangibles than both those two (as a calming presence for instance).

Not even close to Silva. As for Ramos, he's highly overrated, but still better than Chiellini. Then again, he's not even Real's best CB.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Not even close to Silva. As for Ramos, he's highly overrated, but still better than Chiellini. Then again, he's not even Real's best CB.

I think you overrate Silva. In form he is the best, but he has often been inconsistent Internationally and I'm not sure I'd pick him over Godin in a hypothetical 2016 cup final.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Godin isn't nearly as well-rounded as Thiago Silva or Boateng. Those two are still clearly the best for me. Varane could join them soon.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Think we're getting worked up way too much about this.
Coming up with a top-25 list is tough enough, nevermind top-100.
All our lists would vary greatly outside of the #1 spot.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Think we're getting worked up way too much about this.
Coming up with a top-25 list is tough enough, nevermind top-100.
All our lists would vary greatly outside of the #1 spot.

Agreed. That's why I said it's a bad list in my eyes, but understandably so given the lack of standards. Individual player rankings are ultimately futile.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Well Azpi is apparently one of the best FB in the game according to that ranking.

Yet, he's just a solid FB that brings pretty much nothing offensively. Aurier has an Azpi in each foot. Same with Alves, Lahm, Alaba, etc...

Well don't let your clear bias get in the way of making such ridiculous claims. Azpi has very good offensive abilities and is better defensively than Aurier or Alves.

He may not have too many opportunities to show his full potential playing on the opposite side of the pitch but if he can keep one of La Liga's best fullbacks (in their natural position even) on the bench, that should tell you something.

I agree that Verratti is definitely ranked lower than he should, but of all the names you picked you could've picked many others that were even more ":biglaugh:"

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Couple of things:

Obviously either list is perfect. The FFT list overrates players with strong reputations in the Champions League and international competitions, while the Fantasy list (needless to say) overrates players with high upsides (though Lewandowski and Muller were both selected outside of the top 25...?).

Agreed that Verratti is the most 'poorly ranked' player on the FFT list.

Surprised no one has commented on Giovinco at 94. I thought this board had a lot of North Americans?

Well, he was the first name that I looked for. I think he's adeqautely ranked, so I didn't feel the need to post.

The list as a whole is alright, for one of this magnitude. That said, and I know it's been mentioned a dozen times already, but that Verratti ranking :help:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Pretty sure I could be world class playing behind a team that has 80% possession. Boateng has the easiest job in the sport.

Playing on a defensive line that high to face speedy counters having to cover huge amounts of open space while having much more responsibility to take part in the offensive / passing game as somewhat of a playmaker probably makes it closer to the toughest center back job in the sport. Your utter lack of understanding of the game is downright puzzling, sometimes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well don't let your clear bias get in the way of making such ridiculous claims. Azpi has very good offensive abilities and is better defensively than Aurier or Alves.

He may not have too many opportunities to show his full potential playing on the opposite side of the pitch but if he can keep one of La Liga's best fullbacks (in their natural position even) on the bench, that should tell you something

Erh, we saw Azpi in OM and what he could do offensively. Let's not pretend, he never had the opportunity to show them.

Aurier is better in pretty much every aspect and Alves as well. The fact Azpi plays in a defensive system means he has less 1 on 1 with offensive players, but Alves and Aurier are physically much stronger and have shown to be able to handle offensive players on their own.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Erh, is this the top 100 from 2012 or 2015, because the Azpi currently playing is miles ahead of what he was when he first joined. If anything Alves has regressed and Aurier has a lot to improve on as well. So I don't know why you're bringing up his OM days. Call it a defensive system but both Alves and Aurier have quality CBs and DMs to cover their ***** too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, defensive system means he has help covering his forward all the time. Not the case for other teams. We saw Azpi in the offensive zone already, and he's not even comparable to Aurier and Alves. Not even close. And I doubt he has improved on his OM days offensively, since he doesn't play that way in Chelsea.

And Aurier has lots to improve? He's the best RB in the game already. By a fair margin.
He's been absolutely unstoppable this season. On both sides of the pitch.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
giovinco -> 94 -> he's no business in the top 100
rodriguez -> 97 -> Still underrated
verratti -> 87 -> List lost credibility too early, he's a top 40 player in the world, I would say top 25 easily
carvalho -> 86 -> how is this guy ahead of verratti...
Schweinstiger & morata -> 68 & 69 -> overrated
Xabi Alonso & Otamendi -> 50 & 51 -> sigh...
Pique -> 35 -> he's not that good, not anymore
Kroos -> 28 -> overrated by about 30 places
Rakitic -> 12 -> lol

These were the most obvious to me, but there were more...

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Can't believe Lahm hasn't been mentioned. Way too high.

I see Godin is still one of the most overrated players on HF Boards. Looks as though Azpilicueta is skyrocketing up that list as well.

Fantasy drafts are different (you have to draft for positions, etc...) and yet it's a million years better than 442's list.

This.

We were also considering futures (which is why I took Pogba 5th overall). The 442 list isn't a total disaster, but I think there are a few catastrophic mistakes (lookin at Verratti)

Well some of us were considering futures, but not everyone involved.

That fantasy list is much much worse...you have guys like Lucas and Sakho ahead of guys like Ribery,Masch. Some of the picks are based on age which throws the list out of whack. Makes it even funnier that Dybala isn't on the list.

Considering it's 100 players deep the 442 list isn't all that bad but you'll get a few odd picks as to be expected.

To be fair, Ribery's injury was being factored in. Rightly so to be fair considering how much he's played in the last year and a half.

I drafted both Masherano and Dybala. In the case of the latter I didn't get much credit for it.

Playing on a defensive line that high to face speedy counters having to cover huge amounts of open space while having much more responsibility to take part in the offensive / passing game as somewhat of a playmaker probably makes it closer to the toughest center back job in the sport. Your utter lack of understanding of the game is downright puzzling, sometimes.

It amazes me how often people don't take this into consideration when rating certain defenders.

giovinco -> 94 -> he's no business in the top 100
rodriguez -> 97 -> Still underrated
verratti -> 87 -> List lost credibility too early, he's a top 40 player in the world, I would say top 25 easily
carvalho -> 86 -> how is this guy ahead of verratti...
Schweinstiger & morata -> 68 & 69 -> overrated
Xabi Alonso & Otamendi -> 50 & 51 -> sigh...
Pique -> 35 -> he's not that good, not anymore
Kroos -> 28 -> overrated by about 30 places
Rakitic -> 12 -> lol

These were the most obvious to me, but there were more...

Pique isn't the CB that should be raising eyebrows. All things considered he's fine considering where the other CBs fell, though some of them are out of place as well. I know your boy is Ramos though so I won't comment on his place.

Rakitic is definitely too high, but it's not "lol" worthy as he's been one of the best midfielders in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad