Top 100 Lists for 2015

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
I stopped at 87. LMAO.
Written by an 8 year old surely.

And X4L, what has winning have to do with the quality of players? Is Cruyff a lesser player than Burruchaga?

Lloris is without a doubt a top 100 player. Actually, he should be in the top half.

I wasn't arguing the quality of the players, I was responding to why the EPL is underrated in general. I think they're rated just fine.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Can't believe Lahm hasn't

Pique isn't the CB that should be raising eyebrows. All things considered he's fine considering where the other CBs fell, though some of them are out of place as well. I know your boy is Ramos though so I won't comment on his place.

Rakitic is definitely too high, but it's not "lol" worthy as he's been one of the best midfielders in the game.

Rakitic has no business in the 12th position, not even close, even though he has been good. Top 40 ok, but more is just overrating him

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
>mfw he points out azplicueta but navas is two spots ahead of azpi

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Rakitic has no business in the 12th position, not even close, even though he has been good. Top 40 ok, but more is just overrating him

I would agree that Rakitic shouldn't be in the 12th position as I already noted when I said the player is "definitely too high." That said it's not "lol" worthy nor is it any more out of order than Lahm in 13th, especially if you're highlighting x amount of players on the list as you did. That's not to mention other players. I didn't make a specific list of players who are out of order as it'd be entirely too long. That said a quick glance tells me that the likes of Lahm, Bale, Varane, Sanchez, Godin, Kroos, Aubameyang, Douglas Costa, Toure, Tevez, Bonucci, Otamendi, etc are all higher than they should be.

The problem is we don't know the criteria used in compiling the list (unless the article states it). However I could see a strong argument for Rakitic being top 30, and surely being higher than wherever you'd personally rate him, based on his form the past two seasons and what he's won as a player. That's the problem with such lists though. Statistics, form, what player's have own and their entire career can all come into play and skew the results.

I personally think that while such a list can be interesting and has merit, though I wouldn't want to undertake such an excercise, it's a better idea to rank players within their own position. Now if that were the case I could see a case for Rakitic going top three, however I wouldn't make that case as I put more stock into a players actually ability than say stats or what they've won with their respective sides. Still Rakitic would be command a high place on such a list all things considered.

>mfw he points out azplicueta but navas is two spots ahead of azpi

Not sure if you're referring to me or not considering where your post is, so I'll give you the opportunity to clarify, but if you are there are multiple reasons why I pointed out Azpilicueta and not Navas as I'm sure there are multiple reasons if fewer that others have as well.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
Not sure if keepers should be ranked... are any of them top 100 in VORP?

Harry Kane one spot ahead of Rooney is funny

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not sure if keepers should be ranked... are any of them top 100 in VORP?

Harry Kane one spot ahead of Rooney is funny

I'm not sure VORP is a developed or viable metric for evaluating players in football. It works more easily in sports/leagues with a salary cap and/or draft where the "average" player is more easily standardized. I haven't seen any football analytics people use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some keepers do feature highly in certain advanced stats: Neuer for instance.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
I'm not sure VORP is a developed or viable metric for evaluating players in football. It works more easily in sports/leagues with a salary cap and/or draft where the "average" player is more easily standardized. I haven't seen any football analytics people use it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some keepers do feature highly in certain advanced stats: Neuer for instance.

I didn't mean VORP as a real footy metric but rather the general concept. Basically, is the difference between a top 5 keeper and the 50th one or so as big in goal as it is at CB etc (I don't think so), and how should that impact the way they are included in one list with outfield players? As you say the lack of division into major and minor leagues makes the replacement level or average difficult and I don't think I've seen anyone tackle that either, but imo the concept can still be applied (with a grain os salt)

Now discussions where people have to rate two things in relation to each other (here: quality of RL and the player in question) can certainly get tideous, as over/underrated threads prove :D

Neuer is unique in many ways, this could very well be one of them.

Rooney's been ***** for a year and Kane's been great. It's not all that funny

That's exactly why I found it funny... if Rooney was ahead by 5 or so spots that's be even dumber, sure, but having them right next to each other is funny in that it almost seems full of derision. The authors/editors saw Rooney and Kane right next to each other and no one put a stop to it

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
That's exactly why I found it funny... if Rooney was ahead by 5 or so spots that's be even dumber, sure, but having them right next to each other is funny in that it almost seems full of derision. The authors/editors saw Rooney and Kane right next to each other and no one put a stop to it

Ohhhhhhhh okay I read it the other way, like you were implying it was absurd for Kane to be ahead of Rooney. That's my bad

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Another 'Top 100' list, this time from the English newspaper The Guardian.

100. Laurent Koscielny
99. Nemanja Matic
98. Andriy Yarmolenko
97. Riyad Mahrez
96. Francesco Totti
95. Santi Cazorla
94. Sebastian Giovinco
93. Carlos Sanchez
92. Leonardo Bonucci
91. Isco
90. Dimitri Payet
89. Alex Texeira
88. Marcelo
87. Juan Mata
86. Memphis Depay
85. Javier Pastore
84. Claudio Bravo
83. Nolito
82. Mauro Icardi
81. Thiago Alcantara
80. Mario Gotze
79. Petr Cech
78. Arda Turan
77. Henrikh Mkhitaryan
76. Franck Ribery
75. Mats Hummels
74. Bastian Schweinsteiger
73. Yevhen Konoplyanka
72. Jordi Alba
71. Giorgio Chiellini
70. Koke
69. Mohamed Salah
68. Jamie Vardy
67. Keylor Navas
66. Anthony Martial
65. Carlos Bacca
64. Yacine Brahimi
63. Cesc Fabregas
62. Raheem Sterling
61. Alexandre Lacazette
60. Wayne Rooney
59. Hulk
58. Daniel Alves
57. Vincent Kompany
56. Raphael Varane
55. Miralem Pjanic
54. Edinson Cavani
53. Blaise Matuidi
52. Willian
51. Diego Costa
50. Marco Reus
49. Xabi Alonso
48. Gonzalo Higuain
47. Alvaro Morata
46. Philippe Coutinho
45. Jerome Boateng
44. Gerard Pique
43. Marco Verratti
42. Andrea Pirlo
41. Thiago Silva
40. Diego Godin
39. Angel di Maria
38. Harry Kane
37. Sergio Ramos
36. Thibaut Courtois
35. Toni Kroos
34. Gianluigi Buffon
33. Karim Benzema
32. Douglas Costa
31. Luka Modric
30. David Silva
29. Yaya Toure
28. Antoine Griezmann
27. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
26. Mesut Ozil
25. Javier Mascherano
24. Sergio Busquets
23. David Alaba
22. Arjen Robben
21. Philipp Lahm
20. Ivan Rakitic
19. James Rodriguez
18. David De Gea
17. Carlos Tevez
16. Gareth Bale
15. Arturo Vidal
14. Kevin De Bruyne
13. Eden Hazard
12. Andres Iniesta
11. Paul Pogba
10. Alexis Sanchez
9. Sergio Aguero
8. Manuel Neuer
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
6. Thomas Muller
5. Robert Lewandowski
4. Luis Suarez
3. Neymar
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
1. Lionel Messi

A lot of 'recency effects' going on, but is this a 'better' list?

Edit: Pirlo at 42?? Probably not.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Both of those lists have Tevez ridiculously high.

Like the first list, there is a lot I find ridiculous, but again, that's just the nature of making such a ranking.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Carlos Sanchez? ****ing really? That too better than Matic, Cazorla and Mahrez?

Giovinco is not a top 100 player in the world.

Harry Kane is not better than a lot of the strikers below him let alone other players in other positions.

There are so many BS rankings I can't cover them all.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
43. Marco Verratti
41. Thiago Silva
40. Diego Godin
39. Angel di Maria
38. Harry Kane

LOL

Coutinho and Morata above of Reus too LOL

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
43. Marco Verratti
41. Thiago Silva
40. Diego Godin
39. Angel di Maria
38. Harry Kane

LOL

Coutinho and Morata above of Reus too LOL

Reus wasn't that good that year, so it's hard to complain. The issue is that the criteria for the list are poorly defined, so they end up doing a mix of players who are very talented but didn't really have a "top 100" type year and players who have no history of performing but scored a bunch of goals in what may have been a fluke campaign. Hence you get Franck Ribery (who barely played in the calendar year 2015) on the same list as Jamie Vardy. Different factors are weighed completely arbitrarily.

Oh yeah, and Mkhitaryan belongs far higher, as usual. Godin over both Thiago Silva and Boateng too. Ok I should stop.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Their rankings are debatable but Brahimi, Hulk, and Salah belong on the list and I'm not sure they've been on the other ones.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Messi
2. Neymar
3. Suarez
4. Ronaldo
5. Lewandowski
6. Muller
7. Pogba
8. Alaba
9. Neuer
10. Kane
11. Sanchez
12. Ozil
13. Bale
14. Ibra
15. Courtois
16. Busquets
17. Pique
18. Boateng
19. Verrati
20. Kroos
21. Griezmann
22. De Gea
23. De Bruyne
24. Dybala
25. Brahimi

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
1. Messi
2. Neymar
3. Suarez
4. Ronaldo
5. Lewandowski
6. Muller
7. Pogba
8. Alaba
9. Neuer
10. Kane
11. Sanchez
12. Ozil
13. Bale
14. Ibra
15. Courtois
16. Busquets
17. Pique
18. Boateng
19. Verrati
20. Kroos
21. Griezmann
22. De Gea
23. De Bruyne
24. Dybala
25. Brahimi

Thanks. Pretty far off from my general idea, even though I don't have an ordered list with specific rankings for each player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad