Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Does there also need to be one Swede? One Czech? One American?

Czech? If it is Hasek sure...Jagr I don't put but I respect who does...American and swede in the top 10? No way.

I just think Russia deserves some players in the top 10, at their peak they were the best national team in the world, why? Because they had phenomenal players with a different style. And CSKA and other russian teams used to kick NHL teams ass in the Super Series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Czech? If it is Hasek sure...Jagr I don't put but I respect who does...American and swede in the top 10? No way.

I just think Russia deserves some players in the top 10, at their peak they were the best national team in the world, why? Because they had phenomenal players with a different style. And CSKA and other russian teams used to kick NHL teams ass in the Super Series.

American, Swedish, and Czech national teams can all claim to be the best at various points in time as well. Why does Russia deserve special treatment?

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
American, Swedish, and Czech national teams can all claim to be the best at various points in time as well. Why does Russia deserve special treatment?

Because they are on the level of Canada in terms of making great players, they are the 2 main hockey nations...

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Ummm- okay...

Just thinking- we're more than halfway through- who's everyone's "big movers" so far? In other words, what players have you reconsidered most, as a result of the conversations? Here are mine-

1. Sprague Cleghorn- 15 down-- from 40 to 55. I overvalued him on my Prelim List, and underestimated his shed-denizen nature-- then wound up putting him about where consensus places him.

2. Terry Sawchuk- 9 up-- from 45 to 36. When formulating my Prelim List, his inconsistency freaked me out a bit. I guess I "over-freaked."

3. Ken Dryden- 6 down-- from 41 to 47. don't consider myself a big "career-value" guy for goaltenders... but wow did he have a short career.

4. Steve Yzerman- 5 up-- from 46 to 41. He was discussed in parallel to Lalonde, and ultimately, I thought that he was a worthy advancement alongside him.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Because they are on the level of Canada in terms of making great players, they are the 2 main hockey nations...

I'd say that has been acknowledged when you look at the placements of the players you've suggested should be in the top 10. Makarov is the highest rated winger of his era, ahead of Bossy, way ahead of Kurri who has not made the list yet. Tretiak is a very close second to Dryden at goaltender, ahead of Holocek who has not made the list yet. Kharlamov is second only to Guy Lafleur for wingers of his era, and will be far ahead of whoever the next winger from that time ends up being. Fetisov is third-rated defenseman of his era, behind Bourque and Potvin and ahead of Robinson and Coffey.

This all seems quite reasonable for a great nation that nonetheless only beat Canada in one major tournament out of five that occurred during the time period that covers those four Soviet greats.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Bourque in the top 10 is a joke.... Beliveau, Richard and Harvey out of the top 10 also.

So, I found Harvey and Fetisov to be remarkably similar players. So this is where it crosses the line from "I like skill" to "I like/dislike a country"...I can't imagine anyone knowing the fundamentals and nuances of hockey, particularly on defense, and saying that Harvey and Fetisov are far apart...there's no logical consistency to that for me.

I may be the closest to having a Russian in my top 10 out of anyone here (Fetisov, 12), but it certainly wouldn't be at Harvey's expense.

Once again, to see your logic and value system, I invite just a rough top 20 of yours...it's easier to come at the work that's already done and critique it, I'd like to see how your list would compare...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I just want to explain my absense from the last couple of discussion threads. My wife gave birth to our first child last week and there simply has not been any time left over for contributing to the discussion here. I have followed the discussion though and will continue to do so (as well as voting of course) and I will post some already prepared posts about some players when they become available.

Huge congratulations! I know the feeling - my priorities changed significantly when my daughter was born eighteen months ago (and I wouldn't have it any other way).

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
I'd say that has been acknowledged when you look at the placements of the players you've suggested should be in the top 10. Makarov is the highest rated winger of his era, ahead of Bossy, way ahead of Kurri who has not made the list yet. Tretiak is a very close second to Dryden at goaltender, ahead of Holocek who has not made the list yet. Kharlamov is second only to Guy Lafleur for wingers of his era, and will be far ahead of whoever the next winger from that time ends up being. Fetisov is third-rated defenseman of his era, behind Bourque and Potvin and ahead of Robinson and Coffey.

This all seems quite reasonable for a great nation that nonetheless only beat Canada in one major tournament out of five that occurred during the time period that covers those four Soviet greats.

Dryden ahead of Tretiak? Joke of the century loool, and of course in the other positions the canadian guy is always the best lol but Dryden ahead of Tretiak is too much.

Yes, but URSS national team and the russian teams won more games if we count those tournaments, Super Series,Challenge Cup and Rendez vous... Canada Cup was a joke, the refs were totally biased and Canada was playing with home court advantage all the time...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Dryden ahead of Tretiak? Joke of the century loool, and of course in the other positions the canadian guy is always the best lol but Dryden ahead of Tretiak is too much.

Yes, but URSS national team and the russian teams won more games if we count those tournaments, Super Series,Challenge Cup and Rendez vous... Canada Cup was a joke, the refs were totally biased and Canada was playing with home court advantage all the time...

Makarov is ahead of Bossy, so no. Seems you are more interested in nationalism-driven criticism than having any serious debate, so I'll just leave it at that.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Makarov is ahead of Bossy, so no. Seems you are more interested in nationalism-driven criticism than having any serious debate, so I'll just leave it at that.

I can say the same about you guys, there isn't one single position where the best ever is a russian, ONE????

I have no problem in saying that Canada has the best player ever, or that there is more all time great canadians, but come on guys??? The russians also know how to play hockey, and they are head to head with Canada players in terms of talent and greatness. The Czechs not so much, but Hasek deserves the Top 10.

Reactions: Sentinel

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Certainly not .Nor is it particularly close anywhere...Ovechkin is the best shot at LW with probably just Bobby Hull to beat at this point, but that's one hell of a guy to try to beat...

Kharlamov was better than Ovechkin and Hull, but because he did not play in the NHL doesn't get the love he deserves... Bobby Clarke hurting him in the Summit Series 1972 was the reason of Canada comeback.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Kharlamov was better than Ovechkin and Hull, but because he did not play in the NHL doesn't get the love he deserves... Bobby Clarke hurting him in the Summit Series 1972 was the reason of Canada comeback.

Last direct ask for you to put forth a rough top 20 or top 25 just so we can see what kind of deck/logic you're working with. Otherwise, these drive-by anecdotes aren't going to get us anywhere...ball is in your court...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Last direct ask for you to put forth a rough top 20 or top 25 just so we can see what kind of deck/logic you're working with. Otherwise, these drive-by anecdotes aren't going to get us anywhere...ball is in your court...

Given the nature and content of this thread, consider this an official request. Give us an ordering.

No more drive-by attacks.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Lindros has a lot going for him: enormous star power, very high peak, uniqueness of style and historically significant player, even if as a "falling star with a tragic fate" figure.In history of hockey mythology, he was a more significant figure than a crap ton of players who will get voted in, so why not find him a spot?

I still draw a lot of parallels between Eric Lindros and Mike Tyson.Meteoric rise, very intimidating, very dominant, then the downfall into the abyss, and then some kind of semi-redemption as they grew old after retirement.

I wouldn't mind seeing his name on the list, but I'm not going to fight vociferously for it neither ahah.

The difference between Lindros and a lot of players left on the list, is that Lindros was probably the most dominating player for a several season clip, while the others weren't. I agree that Eric should be on the top 100, but sadly I see personal bias by some will keep him out.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Atleast 4, Fetisov, Kharlamov, Makarov and Tretiak...

Fetisov is a top 15 talent and I think, should be higher
Kharlamov is a top 40-50 player, slotted correctly
Tretiak is a top 60-70 talent and I think him at 50 is too high
Makarov is in the same boat as Fetisov. I also think that he's the best Russian player ever and could warrant a top 12-18, but no higher then that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fetisov is a top 15 talent and I think, should be higher
Kharlamov is a top 40-50 player, slotted correctly
Tretiak is a top 60-70 talent and I think him at 50 is too high
Makarov is in the same boat as Fetisov. I also think that he's the best Russian player ever and could warrant a top 12-18, but no higher then that.

Agree with most of this but Fetisov simply didn't show any level of greatness after the age of 30 and that's bad for any Dman not named Orr looking for a spot in the top 10.

I guess a case could be made for Makarov in the top 10 but Maurice richard would be the odd man out and I don't see that happening.

It's kind of ironic that this specific poster is so high on the 4 Russian greats from the 70's and 80's being ranked in the top 10 (his opinion which really isn't backed up by anything)when some in this project have been pushing for Firsov for several rounds now.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
My next 5 to add are Firsov, Bowie, Stuart, Malone, Moore. Very curious to see who shows up next, my list is starting to diverge from who's showing up more and more.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It's kind of ironic that this specific poster is so high on the 4 Russian greats from the 70's and 80's being ranked in the top 10 (his opinion which really isn't backed up by anything)when some in this project have been pushing for Firsov for several rounds now.

"Ironic", huh? Well, I'm missing the irony here...

I haven't seen anyone in the project claim that Firsov should be in the top 10, or that he should definitely be ranked above Kharlamov (and certainly not above Makarov and/or Fetisov). But "it would have been nice" if Firsov had been at least available around the same time as Kharlamov and Tretiak, because there are some arguments for him.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
"Ironic", huh? Well, I'm missing the irony here...

I haven't seen anyone in the project claim that Firsov should be in the top 10, or that he should definitely be ranked above Kharlamov (and certainly not above Makarov and/or Fetisov). But "it would have been nice" if Firsov had been at least available around the same time as Kharlamov and Tretiak, because there are some arguments for him.

I’ll state that, I rated and still do rate Firsov over Kharlamov and Tretiak. FWIW.

Reactions: Batis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese