Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I dreamed about this project last night. In it, I was vociferously advocating that Eric Lindros deserved spot #100. I don't think that's likely to happen.

Lindros has a lot going for him: enormous star power, very high peak, uniqueness of style and historically significant player, even if as a "falling star with a tragic fate" figure.In history of hockey mythology, he was a more significant figure than a crap ton of players who will get voted in, so why not find him a spot?

I still draw a lot of parallels between Eric Lindros and Mike Tyson.Meteoric rise, very intimidating, very dominant, then the downfall into the abyss, and then some kind of semi-redemption as they grew old after retirement.

I wouldn't mind seeing his name on the list, but I'm not going to fight vociferously for it neither ahah.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Lindros has a lot going for him: enormous star power, very high peak, uniqueness of style and historically significant player, even if as a "falling star with a tragic fate" figure.In history of hockey mythology, he was a more significant figure than a crap ton of players who will get voted in, so why not find him a spot?

I still draw a lot of parallels between Eric Lindros and Mike Tyson.Meteoric rise, very intimidating, very dominant, then the downfall into the abyss, and then some kind of semi-redemption as they grew old after retirement.

I wouldn't mind seeing his name on the list, but I'm not going to fight vociferously for it neither ahah.

That's the funny thing. I had him just outside the top 100 on my original list. I'd have no objections if he ended up in our top hundred. But I wouldn't be the one to strongly advocate for him.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dionne > Thornton and Dionne is still an option in the 60s...

I didn't have them in that order on my R1 list (maybe 15 spots apart : Dionne in the high 70ies, Thornton in the late 80ies) : however, this view is, on first thought, very defensible.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
On Lindros : I must admit I didn't really think about him for R1, because it's as if it never crossed my mind he could be a Top-120 player due to the weakness of his resume. However, as a player... I don't know. I still have time to think about him. He might be available late in the project.

On the lack of Russians in the Top-10 : I could understand someone being surprised at the fact there's no Russian in the Top-20, as there are a few players who have a decent case (that's mostly Makarov and Ovechkin; I don't quite see it for Fetisov, since Potvin BARELY made it). But Top-10? With regards, you're basically asking me not to care.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Representation based on nationality seems quite fair once you factor out players listed from the time period when Canada was producing 99% of the top talent (pre-expansion, basically). Soviet/Russian players occupy spots 12, 13, and 15 under those conditions. Czech players have spots 7 and 9, and a Swedish player is at #8. Canadians take the top 6 spots, then 10, 11, and 14. Keep in mind that the first three of those are Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux, who nobody has ever seriously argued as inferior to any other post-expansion players, regardless of nationality.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
I just want to explain my absense from the last couple of discussion threads. My wife gave birth to our first child last week and there simply has not been any time left over for contributing to the discussion here. I have followed the discussion though and will continue to do so (as well as voting of course) and I will post some already prepared posts about some players when they become available.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dionne > Thornton and Dionne is still an option in the 60s...

Dionne really shouldn't still be an option though.

He is getting too much grief for his playoffs, they are bad but his regular season play really stands out...over many already in.

2 of the biggest fallers are Mikita and Dionne, why I'm not so sure.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I just want to explain my absense from the last couple of discussion threads. My wife gave birth to our first child last week and there simply has not been any time left over for contributing to the discussion here. I have followed the discussion though and will continue to do so (as well as voting of course) and I will post some already prepared posts about some players when they become available.

Congratulations.

Reactions: ted2019 and Batis

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Atleast 4, Fetisov, Kharlamov, Makarov and Tretiak...

So, I can only assume at least one of two things from this:
A) You think the Soviet domestic league in the 1970's and 1980's was a better, stronger league than the NHL or WHA for about two decades.
B) Your list would feature a lot of purely technical skilled players regardless of what they achieved, where or when...

Would you be willing to put forth a rough draft of your top 20...?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was checking the list, and I really hate how bland the table looks compared to the pre-migration one, which had a different background color every two rows and red color at the top.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
So, I can only assume at least one of two things from this:
A) You think the Soviet domestic league in the 1970's and 1980's was a better, stronger league than the NHL or WHA for about two decades.
B) Your list would feature a lot of purely technical skilled players regardless of what they achieved, where or when...

The soviet league was better than the WHA league... The NHL in the 70's was more of a hooligan league with sticks, the soviets knew how to play hockey, and that was evident in those canada cup tournaments where the real winners were the referees.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Tretiak definitely deserves the top 10, russian players were much more skillfull in one to one situations, and that was what he had to deal in the URSS league...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bourque in the top 10 is a joke.... Beliveau, Richard and Harvey out of the top 10 also.

So three out of the four players in the top 10 that put in their relevant years before the Soviets had anything resembling an elite hockey program. Sounds like you're overvaluing the 70s and 80s decades as much as anything else.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
So three out of the four players in the top 10 that put in their relevant years before the Soviets had anything resembling an elite hockey program. Sounds like you're overvaluing the 70s and 80s decades as much as anything else.

Ok maybe I am crazy, so are the people who don't put atleast 1 russian player in the top 10...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok maybe I am crazy, so are the people who don't put atleast 1 russian player in the top 10...

I would think most have Slava Fetisov as their top Russian, and I think he's hard-pressed to get into the top-20. He's probably in the conversation for 7th best defenseman with Denis Potvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad