Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Participation dropped from the high 20s to low 20s as soon as the 2019 All-Time Draft started, which unfortunately was to be expected. We've been stable at the low 20s for several rounds now.

Don't know if that's really the cause, but FTR I didn't stop voting.

I did miss Vote 7 and Vote 15 on pure brain cramps of forgetting to vote on Sundays and missing the deadline, but otherwise I've read and voted every week, and I'm pretty busy lately.Don't think the ATD workload can justify dropping out of the project altogether.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
If he was better...if...it's not by a lot.

Regardless, you haven't gone 10 minutes without reminding us why you quit...you didn't like that your favorite players weren't given the same random preferential treatment that you give them. Can you just take that line, put it in the first-person and add it to your signature so that you don't have to keep repeating it for everyone else that isn't interested?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I didn't knew Gartner was on the Centennial's list, and frankly, I'd rather have stayed ignorant about that.

The NHL's top 100 list probably would have been rejected by the screeners of our project (and not just because it had no non-NHLers, obviously). It was a really half-assed effort, despite the league talking it up for months in advance.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The NHL's top 100 list probably would have been rejected by the screeners of our project (and not just because it had no non-NHLers, obviously). It was a really half-assed effort, despite the league talking it up for months in advance.

I think it was a "best 100 NHL players" kind of list, so non-NHLers on that list would have been pretty contradictory I think. Gartner shouldn't be there anyways though.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think it was a "best 100 NHL players" kind of list, so non-NHLers on that list would have been pretty contradictory I think. Gartner shouldn't be there anyways though.

Yes, that's correct. I meant it would have been rejected by our screeners even if ignoring the fact that it had no non-NHLers on it. There's probably 20 names on that list that raise eyebrows, and the inclusions of Gartner and Nieuwendyk in particular are flat-out ridiculous.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
One way our list is better than THN's: everyone submitted a top 120 for the aggregate list. THN voters each submitted top 50s that were then aggregated to form a top 100.

So anyone in the 51-100 range on THN's list probably only had a few (top 50!) votes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Fedorov and Kurri are not that far one from an other.

But Joe Thornton... I don't quite know how to put it, but for a guy who could defend competently (in that, he wasn't a 1-way player) and who could genereally make the ice tilt in its favor so that he isn't always defending, and whose offense is probably the best off just about any player left, including those actually for voting, why the actual f*** are we discussing Nels Stewart, exactly?

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Thornton has accumulated these point finishes within a period of 14 years: 1,2,3,4,5. (and 8th). Just thought that looked cool.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes, that's correct. I meant it would have been rejected by our screeners even if ignoring the fact that it had no non-NHLers on it. There's probably 20 names on that list that raise eyebrows, and the inclusions of Gartner and Nieuwendyk in particular are flat-out ridiculous.

So would Scotty Bowman's list, yet it still gets trotted out from time to time for some weird reason.

Agree, not even sure if either Gartner or Nieuwendyk would make a top 200 NHLers of all time list.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Fedorov and Kurri are not that far one from an other.

But Joe Thornton... I don't quite know how to put it, but for a guy who could defend competently (in that, he wasn't a 1-way player) and who could genereally make the ice tilt in its favor so that he isn't always defending, and whose offense is probably the best off just about any player left, including those actually for voting, why the actual **** are we discussing Nels Stewart, exactly?

Is Thornton really any better than Adam Oates was?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Is Thornton really any better than Adam Oates was?

They're nowhere close at this point. I mean, without going into specifics, in terms of raw points, Joe Thornton is ahead of Adam Oates as we speak, and considering the era they respectively played in (and the fact that their non-offense game is a bit of a wash), that should probably makes sure there's not even a hint of a debate.

(I'm probably the furthest thing from being a Thornton fan here, but seriously, in terms of pure offence, he's probably closer to Joe Sakic than to Adam Oates)

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thought experiment: Why would I take Joe Thornton over a guy like Mike Modano among recent modern centers? Because he scored more points and has a better trophy case? Are we measuring the table with the ruler or the ruler with the table?

Modano is a superior #1 center to build a team around, as he has proven.Even when the Sharks went to the Finals it was clear Thornton was a secondary piece.Nothing against Thornton, great playmaker, tough player, but just incapable of taking a team on his back and push it forward in the post-season.He's a not a ''franchise player''.

Modano played in all situations, crazy TOI in the playoffs.In the RS, under the Hitchcock system, his offense suffered.Yet played a key role in back-to-back trips to the SC Finals, winning one SC.

Reactions: Sentinel

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Thought experiment: Why would I take Joe Thornton over a guy like Mike Modano among recent modern centers? Because he scored more points and has a better trophy case? Are we measuring the table with the ruler or the ruler with the table?

Modano is clearly a superior #1 center to build a team around, as he has proven.Even when the Sharks went to the Finals it was clear Thornton was a secondary piece.Nothing against Thornton, great playmaker, tough player, but just incapable of taking a team on his back and push it forward in the post-season.

Modano played in all situations, crazy TOI in the playoffs.In the RS, under the Hitchcock system, his offense suffered.Yet played a key role in back-to-back trips to the SC Finals, winning one SC.

... I get the feeling this is actually an argument for Ed Belfour in disguise. Modano won jack squat without an elite netminder, too.

The idea with Thornton being... If those intangibles didn't matter at all, he'd ALREADY be in.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
... I get the feeling this is actually an argument for Ed Belfour in disguise.

Belfour was better in 2000 than 1999 IIRC.

Regardless, Modano was a great performer in the back-to-back runs, and IMO the MVP for Dallas if you take them together.

No point in discussing Modano for 2 pages, but I wanted to bring Modano vs. Thornton, because both played in the Western Conference recently, in a conference with a bunch of tough centers and tough teams, and he managed to get a SC out of it, as opposed to Thornton.And let's not pretend Thornton played on weak teams.

Reactions: Sentinel

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
The only way to spin it would be "Kurri PLAYED with a far better player."

Anybody with a pair of eyes saw that Feds was better in every aspect of the game. Except maybe scoring goals.

Kurri's defense ALLOWED Gretzky to play half the rink. I'll still take Kurri of Fedorov any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Belfour was better in 2000 than 1999 IIRC.

Regardless, Modano was a great performer in the back-to-back runs, and IMO the MVP for Dallas if you take them together.

No point in discussing Modano for 2 pages, but I wanted to bring Modano vs. Thornton, because both played in the Western Conference recently, in a conference with a bunch of tough centers and tough teams, and he managed to get a SC out of it, as opposed to Thornton.And let's not pretend Thornton played on weak teams.

Belfour vs. Toskala, Nabokov, Niemi, Nittymaki, Jones.

Reactions: Nick Hansen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad