Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Unfun Fun Fact: I believe I have eight defensemen that I would like to see before Coffey. Don't @ me.
I don't have my list committed to memory, but I know I have at least 5 until Coffey comes up. Wouldn't shock me if it's 8 - I know I had him behind Robinson, Chelios, Park, and Pilote. And in hindsight I might move a few guys I know have lower higher over him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Unfun Fun Fact: I believe I have eight defensemen that I would like to see before Coffey. Don't @ me.

I actually have exactly 10 (going by my R1 list and not counting Fetisov), and really only one that I'm not quite sure if that's right.

Reactions: VanIslander

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Is Robinson better than Chelios? :)

Maybe not if taken from a season-by-season analysis against their peers or similar such analysis, but top-down Robinson is far ahead of Chelios, and I like Chelios a lot because I'm a Montreal fan whose childhood was the Chelios and Roy years.

Not sure how to communicate what I mean, but something like this: Everyone would take a new Chris Chelios on his team, but no one is waiting for the next Chris Chelios.Meanwhile people have been waiting for the next Larry Robinson ever since he retired.Chris Pronger was supposed to be the next Robinson; he partially succeeded, ultimately failed.Zdeno Chara had the "endboss" quality that Robinson brought to the table, that is unquantifiable but so valuable IMO.But Chara is not Robinson.No one filled his shoes.

This "endboss" quality is a huge part of Robinson's legacy.No wonder his signature moment is the big hit against Dornhoefer.

(Of course Robinson also has the career resume to go along with that, not saying that alone would be sufficient)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe not if taken from a season-by-season analysis against their peers or similar such analysis, but top-down Robinson is far ahead of Chelios, and I like Chelios a lot because I'm a Montreal fan whose childhood was the Chelios and Roy years.

Not sure how to communicate what I mean, but something like this: Everyone would take a new Chris Chelios on his team, but no one is waiting for the next Chris Chelios.Meanwhile people have been waiting for the next Larry Robinson ever since he retired.Chris Pronger was supposed to be the next Robinson; he partially succeeded, ultimately failed.Zdeno Chara had the "endboss" quality that Robinson brought to the table, that is unquantifiable but so valuable IMO.But Chara is not Robinson.No one filled his shoes.

This "endboss" quality is a huge part of Robinson's legacy.No wonder his signature moment is the big hit against Dornhoefer.

Yeah, there's also Luke Schenn and Gary Nylund that were supposed to be the next Robinsons. Schenn ended up being the next Nylund, and that was the end of that.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009

Hmm. I feel like people are looking for the next Coffey in each draft. Doesn't really say much about how to rank him versus Cleghorn and Clancy.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hmm. I feel like people are looking for the next Coffey in each draft. Doesn't really say much about how to rank him versus Cleghorn and Clancy.

Well isn't Coffey ranked very high (and very low) by some people? To be honest Coffey is such a controversial player that even if I agree with you, he's not a good comparison in the context of this discussion.Robinson was not controversial like that (neither was Chelios).

Edit: It's also not clear to me that people weren't waiting for the next Sprague Cleghorn back in the days.That would be an interesting thing to look for; studying Shore's arrival might yield some nice quotes about that.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well isn't Coffey ranked very high (and very low) by some people? To be honest Coffey is such a controversial player that even if I agree with you, he's not a good comparison in the context if this discussion.Robinson was not controversial like that (neither was Chelios).
One-way players are always going to get a side-eye look in these discussions because you can *only* talk about their offense. Coffey is a special case because not only is he one-way, he's one-way whose most notable years involved passing the puck to #1 and #4 on our list. Outside of a lockout shortened win in 95 which salvages his case *somewhat*, that's pretty much all he hangs his hat on.

But we'll get into this later. Hopefully *much* later.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Brodeur was leaped by Esposito, Hall and Clarke? Seriously? I mean, okay for Hall, since he was pretty close in the first place, but...

Oh and Makarov making it on first vote of eligibility is perfectly par for the course. Good thing he was just under Fetisov, or else that could've been a problem.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Brodeur was leaped by Esposito, Hall and Clarke? Seriously?

Are you that surprised? I'm sure Brodeur, as much as any player in this thing, has his steady NRs.

Well... the remainder of Brodeur in this thing is the main reason why Bill Cook isn't an automatic #1 for me whenever he appears.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Are you that surprised? I'm sure Brodeur, as much as any player in this thing, has his steady NRs.

Well... the remainder of Brodeur in this thing is the main reason why Bill Cook isn't an automatic #1 for me whenever he appears.

.. He had just 2 last round.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A few years ago, I voted Esposito over Clarke and Clarke finished ahead. This time, I voted Clarke ahead, and Espo finishes ahead.

Either way, glad those two are close.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The C's were tough to rank. Hall getting in and Brodeur on the outside is ridiculous IMO. Yet again outside the top 30 despite a mountain of evidence thanks to many different members. Some people just buy the he was a product of NJ system bullshit. If he was in the bottom 3-4 for you this round, shame. Guy holds all kinds of records, has a better peak that the numbers indicate, fantastic longevity, won 3 Cups and is still waiting? A joke at this point.

Sorry. But it pisses me off as much as Jagr jumping almost 10 spots from 10 years back.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The C's were tough to rank. Hall getting in and Brodeur on the outside is ridiculous IMO. Yet again outside the top 30 despite a mountain of evidence thanks to many different members. Some people just buy the he was a product of NJ system bull****. Guy holds all kinds of records, has a better peak that the numbers indicate, fantastic longevity, won 3 Cups and is still waiting? A joke at this point.

Sorry. But it pisses me off as much as Jagr jumping almost 10 spots from 10 years back.

To be fair, that is consistent with the goalies project.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only good thing ? The streak of "goalies ranked first" will continue, since there's no way I'm ranking Sawchuk anywhere the top at this point, and we don't know yet if Dryden is eligible (and there's probably one skater that will be better than him).

... And seriously, if the result of Vote threads is that Brodeur goes unranked, then we're badly losing our time.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The C's were tough to rank. Hall getting in and Brodeur on the outside is ridiculous IMO. Yet again outside the top 30 despite a mountain of evidence thanks to many different members. Some people just buy the he was a product of NJ system bull****. If he was in the bottom 3-4 for you this round, shame. Guy holds all kinds of records, has a better peak that the numbers indicate, fantastic longevity, won 3 Cups and is still waiting? A joke at this point.

It really isn't. Hall isn't some also ran here. He was ranked as the best goalie in the league 7 times. If you feel that strongly that Hall shouldn't be over Brodeur, should've made your case better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad