Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Re: Jagr, I don't mind him getting in really, but the gap between him and Mikita is a bit puzzling, considering the case for both (prime regular season point production) is similar.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I should have doubled-down on my anti-defenseman gimmick. I’ll take the blame for this one.

Did Potvin kinda come out of nowhere for anyone else? It seemed like he and Mikita were really taking a hit for their lack of longevity in the last vote.

Bourque was basically putting a magnifying glass over each and all of Potvin's flaws.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
PlayerBallotsPoints1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10thNR
Nicklas Lidstrom27197674231312
Jaromir Jagr281833437511131
Red Kelly29181166118123
Denis Potvin291703244253312
Jacques Plante2416763521121125
Frank Nighbor291653335115422
Mark Messier2714622145162312
Alex Ovechkin251041134225164
Guy Lafleur26981112444453
Phil Esposito239811114222726
Stan Mikita23862112123566
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jacques Plante with 6 firsts and 5 blanks. Not a good look for us voters. Especially considering Plante is hardly a controversial player.

Surprised Nighbor didn't get in considering the glowing reviews. (I had him 8th)

How good was Bobby Orr that he could make an average player like Esposito into a record shattering scoring machine?

Very pleased to see Potvin get in.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Potvin sort of came out of nowhere for me too... until I realize he's not as controversial as some of these other players, so he would naturally get fewer really low votes.

You are about the 4th person to state this.

Denis Potvin was a special player. Don't think many realize how good he was. Of course, the huge emphasis on longevity this time around did him no favors. I had him #1 this round.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I personally felt Potvin had some of the strongest arguments presented in the last round. I came away with a higher opinion of him than I came in with.

Didn't really see the same push for Lidstrom, and I'm fairly surprised he ended up leading the round.
Because I've been specifically instructed to "lay off the Lidstrom vs. Bourque argument" and therefore lost interest.

Naturally I disagree with much of the placing. Not as much as before because the damage is mostly done. Plante is the worst offender; but given the endless 50s Habs love, it's not at all surprising. I still hope to keep in it (it's been hard with my endless travels), but much of my enthusiasm has vaporized.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
You are about the 4th person to state this.

Denis Potvin was a special player. Don't think many realize how good he was. Of course, the huge emphasis on longevity this time around did him no favors. I had him #1 this round.
One day we can simply make a list that is based entirely on peak (possibly with prime) and ignores longevity altogether. So we can see how good, you know, a player actually was. Yes, it will hurt Lidstrom, but at least Hasek will be right where he should be.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Plante went too low, if anything. I mean, the most substantial argument brought against him went along the lines of "Hur Durrr Montreal Canadiens hurr durr". Most of the points for him were brought in V3.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Jacques Plante with 6 firsts and 5 blanks. Not a good look for us voters. Especially considering Plante is hardly a controversial player.

Surprised Nighbor didn't get in considering the glowing reviews. (I had him 8th)

How good was Bobby Orr that he could make an average player like Esposito into a record shattering scoring machine?

Very pleased to see Potvin get in.
I'm happy with Potvin too. I pushed hard for him. I think he was *the* driver of a great dynasty - so far every other major post-war dynasty has been represented (Toronto w/ Kelly right before him technically), and I don't think that's a bad placement for Potvin at all. (EDIT: Forgot about the 70s Habs not being represented yet, but I'm pretty comfortable saying Potvin > Lafleur)

To the "needs moar longevity" crowd - Potvin did as much with his shorter longevity (but still plenty long peak/prime? Seriously what - 10 season prime and we're going to say he lacked "longevity" because he didn't drag his corpse around until he was 40?) as anyone else on this part of the list did with their careers.

Plante went too low, if anything. I mean, the most substantial argument brought against him went along the lines of "Hur Durrr Montreal Canadiens hurr durr". Most of the points for him were brought in V3.

There wasn't a good argument against him, but it was more that there were question marks that it was impossible to get a good answer to. I mean - he's clearly ahead of Hall and he ended up going the vote before him, so I think it's okay. Funny I think I had him at that exact spot in my initial list but I think I had him 6th or 7th on my list, but I definitely don't have issues with his placement.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Anxiously waiting for this weeks results.

I am expecting Nighbor, Messier, Lafleur, Brodeur, and either Mikita or Ovechkin. That order more or less.

I fully expect a Soviet forward coming up next, as well as a few Centers from a range of different era's. There's a couple Wingers that might be due, but could see them waiting another round. Would be surprised to see a defenceman next round.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm hoping for no Brodeur. Not because I don't think it's time (though I don't), but I feel like we're just getting started really talking about him. I've been holding off since last night because there was no sense posting anymore with most votes cast.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm hoping for no Brodeur. Not because I don't think it's time (though I don't), but I feel like we're just getting started really talking about him. I've been holding off since last night because there was no sense posting anymore with most votes cast.
While I feel he deserves to go in, and feel he has been talked about lots, I agree there is still a lot more there to dig deeper into, so I wouldn't be too upset if he hung around another week.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Well, why not play the speculation game, while Palm Beach County does its thing. [But seriously- I saw there was at least one late submission for the Vote. I'm sure that didn't help matters...]
I fully expect a Soviet forward coming up next, as well as a few Centers from a range of different era's. There's a couple Wingers that might be due, but could see them waiting another round. Would be surprised to see a defenceman next round.
Sakic and/or Trottier will show, guaranteed.
Guessing that the next four will be Makarov, Sakic, Trottier, and the Cyclone.
Some reasoned surmises there, no doubt. We DO seem to love nominating Centers-- and there are enough of them in conversation-range that I could easily see it.
I'll take Larry Robinson for the next vote please...
Robinson, to me, would have been an "on-time" nomination last round. If nominated this round, he would merit immediate consideration... UNLESS we leave the wrong leftovers on the table from the round we're just wrapping up. I have a nomination "wish," or two, that I believe has no chance in hell of being fulfilled- so I'll just stick to speculation:

1) I think Robinson comes aboard now. 2) So should Cyclone Taylor, whom I have as the top NA forward not yet nominated. 3) With Fetisov standing last round, can Makarov be far behind?? Strong BPA-case, utterly independent of the leftovers. 4/5) Trottier/Bossy. People think of these players as a pair. I know I do. I can't help myself, dammit.

Should be a good nomination round. As I look at my list, I don't see anyone ranked 40 or below whom I believe has a chance of standing next round. Lowest-position dark-horse is Sakic, who could come 'round as part of our ongoing theme of Center-Lust. [Plus- he's a popular HoH flavor.] That's all right, we've had worse nominees already.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone not named Robinson or Makarov would be something of an afterthought as far as I'm concerned. Not that there wouldn't be some other good candidates at this point (Dryden, Clancy, Chelios, Cook comes to mind), but I dont see any of these making a serious dent. They'd look better than Sawchuk, and that's mostly it.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Chelios, Dryden, Robinson and two of Lalonde, Richard and Vezina for next round, please.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad