Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 19

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Two more defensemen:

Eddie Gerard. I'm probably more appreciative of Gerard than most guys (he's a defenseman, and he played 100 years ago), but like TDMM, I'm not 100% sure he's a top-100 player. I was one of the people who kick-started the appreciation of Gerard in an off-hfboards ATD in 2008, while at hfboards he had just risen from 361st to 204th, and has now plateaued at 89th-102nd the past seven drafts. He seems to be a player you "really had to be there" to appreciate. Very much like Serge Savard in that respect. I don't know if it's fair to say cups "followed him around"; if anything, the cup followed Nighbor around. His career was extremely short - just nine years in a time when quite a few elite defensemen were able to play forever (Cleghorn, Johnson, Hall, Patrick, Boucher, Cameron all played 14-20 years). Would someone like to take a stab at what Gerard's all-star voting record would look like? It would be nice to get a sense for what the quality of his short peak was, in order to know what we should think of him with relation to guys like Keith, Karlsson and Leetch. I know it's really difficult considering offense should not be that important in such things, and that's half of what we have (the other half being his team's defensive performance, knowing he played most/all of the minutes).

Valeri Vasiliev. He seems to really define the term "borderline top-100 player" for me. I've read everything posted about him thus far in the project and I feel like I'm not quite as high on him as I used to be. Or it might just be that too many good new players have come up in the past decade and he's exactly the caliber of player that is in position to get nudged out. With European forwards of the 70s and 80s, I don't find it all that difficult to fudge some regular season numbers and get an idea of where they would rank in a global league on a year-to-year basis. But I refuse to use offense to judge defensemen in any significant way, so the best thing we have is Vasiliev's eye-test based all-star voting record. But what do you do with it? When he was the best Soviet defenseman, where did that rank him in the world? You can probably safely say never 1st, but he very well could have been 2nd a couple times. There might also be times where even in that competitive era, a top-end all-star soviet defenseman might have only been 10th-15th in the world - who can say? Has anyone cooked up a fair and realistic assessment of what his NHL all-star record may have looked like? As with Firsov, I don't mean literally pretend he crosses the atlantic and starts playing here, but just base it on skill/talent, and overall quality of play and value delivered. Was he a potential NHL all-star, and how many times? I'm open to ranking him for sure, but he's a question mark in a field of so many sure things.

Centers:

Nels Stewart. There's lots to not like, but there's also lots to like. For starters, are we going to keep out the only multiple Hart winner remaining? He's also a top-5 finisher one other time, not exactly insignificant at this point in the process. He's a two-time goals leader, one-time points leader, and is probably the best example after Newsy Lalonde, of a player who didn't always lead in goals and/or points, but was always right there in the mix, year after year, for a very long time. He hit the ground running as an NHL rookie, and if that makes you wonder how much earlier he could have been a good NHL player, you're barking up the right tree. For three seasons prior to his NHL debut at 23, he was a very dominant scorer in the USAHA, a very strong league whose Pittsburgh Yellowjackets, almost player-for-player became the NHL's Pirates in 1925-26 and went 19-16-1. By my rough league-equivalency numbers, I give him scores of 77, 75 and 73, which fall just outside of his top-10 seasons and should not in any way move the needle for what you think of his peak, but do significantly add to his already impressive longevity case. If you're wondering whether having a big, slow, poor defensively, bully of a center was a winning strategy for his teams, the Maroons were 20 games over .500 in 7 seasons with him, and the Bruins were 13 games over in 3 more seasons, before he went to the Americans, who were, of course, never good. On the other hand, when games got tighter and competition got tougher, Stewart's teams were 21-27-6 in the playoffs, which is not great, but it's both better and worse if you break it up into two parts: 8-5-4 through 1928, and 13-22-2 after that. Stewart played in a time where award voters and reporters were not going to just be seduced by stats and send votes and platitudes to the highest scorers - we see evidence of that all over the place. But Stewart passed the eye test enough to end up with the best individual trophy case of his era and arguably all-time too, among available players, that is. He was a highly significant player to his era, and yes, all-time as well. He has to be on the list.

Norm Ullman. This one may be a little detailed, so allow me to break from my usual "one paragraph" format just this once.

offense: Back in the day before quantitative measures like VsX were a thing, and we counted up top-10 finishes as a way of explaining dominance, Ullman looked outstanding. Eight times in the top-10 in points, and seven more times in the top-20 for a total of 15 significant seasons. And then some people would say, "yeah, but it was the original six, there were 18 first line spots, of course Ullman was going to be in the top-20!" But, 1) playing and excelling in the O6 environment is a plus, not a minus, 2) Ullman was usually not a first line player, 3) When we shifted to quantitative measures like VsX, Ullman still looked rather excellent. Definitely some shine comes off of his 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1964 seasons from 10th-19th in scoring, but it also highlights how his 16th in 1963 and his 17th in 1972 are really not to be ignored and are just as significant as his pair of 12ths in 1960 and 1969. He was a very significant scorer for a very long time.

I think the more you look at his offense, though, the more you like it. For a few reasons:
- Ullman did not get a chance to shine on the PP nearly as much as some players. On the most recent and complete spreadsheet that I have (1960-2017), he is 57th in points by forwards. Out of the top-100 (down to players with 869 points), he is 81st in PP usage: 51%. That is still a good number for PP usage, but the average for players of this ilk is 61% and more than a quarter of them are up over 70%. Ullman's usage on the PP was more like that of Pat Verbeek, Rod Brind'Amour and Bobby Smith, than guys like hawerchuk (72%), Federko (72%), Stastny (71%), and Thornton (69%). (only Muller, Thomas, Roberts and Hunter on this list are below 44%).
- So you must be thinking, to end up with those kinds of raw offensive totals despite stunted PP opportunities, he must have been excellent at even strength. You would be absolutely right; he was excellent at even strength. Out of 927 forwards with 500+ games on this spreadsheet, Ullman is 18th in ESP/80. The players ahead of him are Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Bobby Hull, Forsberg, Lindros, Jagr, Malkin, Bossy, Ovechkin, Bure, Richard, Sakic, Esposito, Kane, Beliveau, and Howe - a mix of very dominant full-career players, and a few guys who are all-prime like Forsberg, Lindros, Bure, and to a lesser extent, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Kane, the latter two who will almost certainly drop below his number once they've played 1100+ games themselves. He's also not-insignificantly ahead of Yzerman, Bathgate, Dionne, Brett Hull, Selanne, Kurri, and Fedorov, just to name a few already-inducted players (not to mention currently available names Stastny, St. Louis and Iginla).
- Now, don't forget, these are full-career numbers. Ullman amassed these even-strength figures over a very long career (over 1100 games captured by this spreadsheet). If we were to just isolate everyone's best 7 or 10 seasons as an even strength scorer, Ullman would look even better: He has an excellent string of ES points finishes: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, strangely enough, with another half dozen in the 9th-12th range, including one in his 2nd last NHL season in 1974 at the age of 38.
- Ullman's linemate situation left a lot to be desired. For most of his career, he was by far the best player on his line and had to do it all himself at even strength. On the PP, he surely had some opportunities with Howe and others, but his linemates were often glorified checkers like Floyd Smith, who he elevated to secondary scorer-status. If Ullman wasn't participating in the offense, it wasn't going in. Out of that same list of 927 forwards from 1960-2017 with 500 games, Ullman is 40th in his offensive participation score of 79% - so he participated in 79% of the even strength goals that his team scored with him on the ice. Elite players by this metric tend to be pretty tightly packed, but he looks the best among this group by this metric: Iginla is the closest at 78%, St. Louis and Lindros are at 77% and Stastny is at 75%. Only Thornton ties him at 79%. In case you are wondering if this stat is in any way meaningful, yes, the elite players rise to the top - the highest are Crosby, Beliveau, Elias, Malkin and Gretzky, while enforcers occupy the bottom spots.

Given his unique situation, I find his offensive record to be the most impressive of all forwards in this round. Imagine Thornton or St. Louis with 2nd/3rd line caliber linemates and restricted PP usage. Imagine them doing that in the Original six era!

defense: many quotes from throughout Ullman's career paint him as a very hard-working, highly conscientious defensive player. This bio here: ATD2011 Bio Thread contains most, but not all of what I dug up on him a few years prior. It's nothing but highly complementary. He was not Dave Keon or Henri Richard, but his defensive game, by the eye test, leaves little to be desired. Ullman would be the 2nd/3rd best defensive forward available in this round, well behind Keon and virtually tied with Abel - with no one else even close.

playoffs: Unfortunately for Ullman, it's feast and famine. If you look at a metric like playoff VsX, which zeroes in specifically on his five best playoffs, then he looks excellent, because his 1st-1st-2nd in playoff scoring give him scores of 136, 100, 100, and a five year score of 89. On the other hand, outside of those five seasons he has 21 points in 56 games. It results in a mixed bag playoff record that resulted in no cups, and a stat line of 83 points in 106 games, which is actually pretty decent overall - a better scoring rate than Keon and Richard, and just short of Delvecchio and Mahovlich. The R:on and R:off numbers don't look great for him, though. His goals against totals couldn't have been great to end up with ratios like that. On the other hand, he was often a matchup center and his linemates were nowhere near his level, so he carried the brunt of the responsibilities in all three zones, and was usually not as good as the guy he was up against. When you consider we're talking about the #1 centers on original six playoff teams, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

other: It was mentioned that he was a #2 center. Let's get serious here. While it's true that he was usually a second liner, thanks to the desire to spread the scoring out in Detroit's lineup, this does not mean he was not one of the NHL's best six centers. Of course he was no Mikita, Beliveau or Richard, but for the majority of his prime he would be the next name you'd come up with in the conversation of best centers. And despite not having the benefit of the "easier" aspects of being a top line center (better linemates, more icetime, guaranteed top unit PP), he did have to face some of the tougher aspects of it (like carrying weaker linemates while going up against top units). Don't forget that after Ullman was traded to Toronto, he became their #1, all-around, all-situations center, and Punch Imlach called him the best center he ever coached. At 33-39, he put up a 1.17 GF/GA ratio while the Leafs were merely even (1.00) with him off the ice. Indeed, he came out positive for his career (1.03-1.00) despite having the Gordie Howe/Alex Delvecchio tandem as an off-ice comparable for half the time covered by those numbers. Yes, Ullman was a difference maker and he absolutely belongs in the last ten spots here.

more to come later.

Nice to see that ATD matters, at least for Gerard. Perhaps for Hasek it will in the future. He was picked 26th in the latest edition. Then you have interesting anomalities. Bill Gadsby #64, Rod Langway #65, MarkHowe #77, Toe Blake #79, Serge Savard #82, Norm Ullman #90, Evgeni Malkin #97, Frank Brimsek #100.

Others are pretty close in rank in the Top 100 and the ATD.

Years you made the point about the competition aspect of history. This illustrates your point. ATD, effectively you have to have a strategy, make the best choice or face the consequences of a weak team. Top 100 there are no consequences that counter-balance ratings.

Your Imlach quote is inaccurate about Ullman. Operative is in the NHL. Imlach coached Beliveau in the QSHL - Quebec Aces.

Ullman 4th amongst centers in his prime. Bit of a moving target. Regardless, teams and centers they would not trade for Ullman or preferred to Ullman. O6 era

Detroit preferred Delvecchio. Montreal - Beliveau, Henri Richard, Backstrom. Toronto - Keon,Kelly,Pulford. Chicago-Mikita,maybe Esposito. New York, Ratelle, maybe Goyette. Boston none. Mid 1960s top two Boston centers were Oliver and Martin, former Red Wings.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
it boggles my mind how early selanne went when we currently have these two very good, nearly direct comparables to him, both of whom are imo better than him.

Considering Selanne went exactly where he would be anticipated to land based on the Wingers Project, it probably has more to do with a potential underrating of Kane (short career, 2018-19 hadn’t happened yet) and Thornton (toxic playoffs) than anything else if you think them to be direct comparables.

Selanne looked good relative to Moore and Mahovlich years ago, just as he looked good relative to them here. But we might not even have consensus that Kane and Thornton are better than other contemporaries Iginla, St. Louis, Keith, etc.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Or Mark Howe never agreed with the way Mike Keenan did things, so Keenan isn't too fond of Howe. Howe played 91.8 % of the games available during his prime with the Flyers. He missed games just like everyone else.

Players miss games but even the most fragile sneak in a complete season or two. Mark Howe never did. Keenan and Mark Howe, Imlach and Dave Keon. Fond of both players but two of the worst examples using coaches comments.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Two more defensemen:

Eddie Gerard. I'm probably more appreciative of Gerard than most guys (he's a defenseman, and he played 100 years ago), but like TDMM, I'm not 100% sure he's a top-100 player. I was one of the people who kick-started the appreciation of Gerard in an off-hfboards ATD in 2008, while at hfboards he had just risen from 361st to 204th, and has now plateaued at 89th-102nd the past seven drafts. He seems to be a player you "really had to be there" to appreciate. Very much like Serge Savard in that respect. I don't know if it's fair to say cups "followed him around"; if anything, the cup followed Nighbor around. His career was extremely short - just nine years in a time when quite a few elite defensemen were able to play forever (Cleghorn, Johnson, Hall, Patrick, Boucher, Cameron all played 14-20 years). Would someone like to take a stab at what Gerard's all-star voting record would look like? It would be nice to get a sense for what the quality of his short peak was, in order to know what we should think of him with relation to guys like Keith, Karlsson and Leetch. I know it's really difficult considering offense should not be that important in such things, and that's half of what we have (the other half being his team's defensive performance, knowing he played most/all of the minutes).

Valeri Vasiliev. He seems to really define the term "borderline top-100 player" for me. I've read everything posted about him thus far in the project and I feel like I'm not quite as high on him as I used to be. Or it might just be that too many good new players have come up in the past decade and he's exactly the caliber of player that is in position to get nudged out. With European forwards of the 70s and 80s, I don't find it all that difficult to fudge some regular season numbers and get an idea of where they would rank in a global league on a year-to-year basis. But I refuse to use offense to judge defensemen in any significant way, so the best thing we have is Vasiliev's eye-test based all-star voting record. But what do you do with it? When he was the best Soviet defenseman, where did that rank him in the world? You can probably safely say never 1st, but he very well could have been 2nd a couple times. There might also be times where even in that competitive era, a top-end all-star soviet defenseman might have only been 10th-15th in the world - who can say? Has anyone cooked up a fair and realistic assessment of what his NHL all-star record may have looked like? As with Firsov, I don't mean literally pretend he crosses the atlantic and starts playing here, but just base it on skill/talent, and overall quality of play and value delivered. Was he a potential NHL all-star, and how many times? I'm open to ranking him for sure, but he's a question mark in a field of so many sure things.

Centers:

Nels Stewart. There's lots to not like, but there's also lots to like. For starters, are we going to keep out the only multiple Hart winner remaining? He's also a top-5 finisher one other time, not exactly insignificant at this point in the process. He's a two-time goals leader, one-time points leader, and is probably the best example after Newsy Lalonde, of a player who didn't always lead in goals and/or points, but was always right there in the mix, year after year, for a very long time. He hit the ground running as an NHL rookie, and if that makes you wonder how much earlier he could have been a good NHL player, you're barking up the right tree. For three seasons prior to his NHL debut at 23, he was a very dominant scorer in the USAHA, a very strong league whose Pittsburgh Yellowjackets, almost player-for-player became the NHL's Pirates in 1925-26 and went 19-16-1. By my rough league-equivalency numbers, I give him scores of 77, 75 and 73, which fall just outside of his top-10 seasons and should not in any way move the needle for what you think of his peak, but do significantly add to his already impressive longevity case. If you're wondering whether having a big, slow, poor defensively, bully of a center was a winning strategy for his teams, the Maroons were 20 games over .500 in 7 seasons with him, and the Bruins were 13 games over in 3 more seasons, before he went to the Americans, who were, of course, never good. On the other hand, when games got tighter and competition got tougher, Stewart's teams were 21-27-6 in the playoffs, which is not great, but it's both better and worse if you break it up into two parts: 8-5-4 through 1928, and 13-22-2 after that. Stewart played in a time where award voters and reporters were not going to just be seduced by stats and send votes and platitudes to the highest scorers - we see evidence of that all over the place. But Stewart passed the eye test enough to end up with the best individual trophy case of his era and arguably all-time too, among available players, that is. He was a highly significant player to his era, and yes, all-time as well. He has to be on the list.

Norm Ullman. This one may be a little detailed, so allow me to break from my usual "one paragraph" format just this once.

offense: Back in the day before quantitative measures like VsX were a thing, and we counted up top-10 finishes as a way of explaining dominance, Ullman looked outstanding. Eight times in the top-10 in points, and seven more times in the top-20 for a total of 15 significant seasons. And then some people would say, "yeah, but it was the original six, there were 18 first line spots, of course Ullman was going to be in the top-20!" But, 1) playing and excelling in the O6 environment is a plus, not a minus, 2) Ullman was usually not a first line player, 3) When we shifted to quantitative measures like VsX, Ullman still looked rather excellent. Definitely some shine comes off of his 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1964 seasons from 10th-19th in scoring, but it also highlights how his 16th in 1963 and his 17th in 1972 are really not to be ignored and are just as significant as his pair of 12ths in 1960 and 1969. He was a very significant scorer for a very long time.

I think the more you look at his offense, though, the more you like it. For a few reasons:
- Ullman did not get a chance to shine on the PP nearly as much as some players. On the most recent and complete spreadsheet that I have (1960-2017), he is 57th in points by forwards. Out of the top-100 (down to players with 869 points), he is 81st in PP usage: 51%. That is still a good number for PP usage, but the average for players of this ilk is 61% and more than a quarter of them are up over 70%. Ullman's usage on the PP was more like that of Pat Verbeek, Rod Brind'Amour and Bobby Smith, than guys like hawerchuk (72%), Federko (72%), Stastny (71%), and Thornton (69%). (only Muller, Thomas, Roberts and Hunter on this list are below 44%).
- So you must be thinking, to end up with those kinds of raw offensive totals despite stunted PP opportunities, he must have been excellent at even strength. You would be absolutely right; he was excellent at even strength. Out of 927 forwards with 500+ games on this spreadsheet, Ullman is 18th in ESP/80. The players ahead of him are Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Bobby Hull, Forsberg, Lindros, Jagr, Malkin, Bossy, Ovechkin, Bure, Richard, Sakic, Esposito, Kane, Beliveau, and Howe - a mix of very dominant full-career players, and a few guys who are all-prime like Forsberg, Lindros, Bure, and to a lesser extent, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Kane, the latter two who will almost certainly drop below his number once they've played 1100+ games themselves. He's also not-insignificantly ahead of Yzerman, Bathgate, Dionne, Brett Hull, Selanne, Kurri, and Fedorov, just to name a few already-inducted players (not to mention currently available names Stastny, St. Louis and Iginla).
- Now, don't forget, these are full-career numbers. Ullman amassed these even-strength figures over a very long career (over 1100 games captured by this spreadsheet). If we were to just isolate everyone's best 7 or 10 seasons as an even strength scorer, Ullman would look even better: He has an excellent string of ES points finishes: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, strangely enough, with another half dozen in the 9th-12th range, including one in his 2nd last NHL season in 1974 at the age of 38.
- Ullman's linemate situation left a lot to be desired. For most of his career, he was by far the best player on his line and had to do it all himself at even strength. On the PP, he surely had some opportunities with Howe and others, but his linemates were often glorified checkers like Floyd Smith, who he elevated to secondary scorer-status. If Ullman wasn't participating in the offense, it wasn't going in. Out of that same list of 927 forwards from 1960-2017 with 500 games, Ullman is 40th in his offensive participation score of 79% - so he participated in 79% of the even strength goals that his team scored with him on the ice. Elite players by this metric tend to be pretty tightly packed, but he looks the best among this group by this metric: Iginla is the closest at 78%, St. Louis and Lindros are at 77% and Stastny is at 75%. Only Thornton ties him at 79%. In case you are wondering if this stat is in any way meaningful, yes, the elite players rise to the top - the highest are Crosby, Beliveau, Elias, Malkin and Gretzky, while enforcers occupy the bottom spots.

Given his unique situation, I find his offensive record to be the most impressive of all forwards in this round. Imagine Thornton or St. Louis with 2nd/3rd line caliber linemates and restricted PP usage. Imagine them doing that in the Original six era!

defense: many quotes from throughout Ullman's career paint him as a very hard-working, highly conscientious defensive player. This bio here: ATD2011 Bio Thread contains most, but not all of what I dug up on him a few years prior. It's nothing but highly complementary. He was not Dave Keon or Henri Richard, but his defensive game, by the eye test, leaves little to be desired. Ullman would be the 2nd/3rd best defensive forward available in this round, well behind Keon and virtually tied with Abel - with no one else even close.

playoffs: Unfortunately for Ullman, it's feast and famine. If you look at a metric like playoff VsX, which zeroes in specifically on his five best playoffs, then he looks excellent, because his 1st-1st-2nd in playoff scoring give him scores of 136, 100, 100, and a five year score of 89. On the other hand, outside of those five seasons he has 21 points in 56 games. It results in a mixed bag playoff record that resulted in no cups, and a stat line of 83 points in 106 games, which is actually pretty decent overall - a better scoring rate than Keon and Richard, and just short of Delvecchio and Mahovlich. The R:on and R:off numbers don't look great for him, though. His goals against totals couldn't have been great to end up with ratios like that. On the other hand, he was often a matchup center and his linemates were nowhere near his level, so he carried the brunt of the responsibilities in all three zones, and was usually not as good as the guy he was up against. When you consider we're talking about the #1 centers on original six playoff teams, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

other: It was mentioned that he was a #2 center. Let's get serious here. While it's true that he was usually a second liner, thanks to the desire to spread the scoring out in Detroit's lineup, this does not mean he was not one of the NHL's best six centers. Of course he was no Mikita, Beliveau or Richard, but for the majority of his prime he would be the next name you'd come up with in the conversation of best centers. And despite not having the benefit of the "easier" aspects of being a top line center (better linemates, more icetime, guaranteed top unit PP), he did have to face some of the tougher aspects of it (like carrying weaker linemates while going up against top units). Don't forget that after Ullman was traded to Toronto, he became their #1, all-around, all-situations center, and Punch Imlach called him the best center he ever coached. At 33-39, he put up a 1.17 GF/GA ratio while the Leafs were merely even (1.00) with him off the ice. Indeed, he came out positive for his career (1.03-1.00) despite having the Gordie Howe/Alex Delvecchio tandem as an off-ice comparable for half the time covered by those numbers. Yes, Ullman was a difference maker and he absolutely belongs in the last ten spots here.

more to come later.
Great work you guys, but remember, carpal tunnel syndrome is a thing.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
a sign that awards placements should be taken with a grain of salt? i always had these three guys stastny > hawerchuk > savard, but i could go either way on hawerchuk and savard. stastny a little higher than the other two because he just scored a little more in his prime, and hawerchuk was the more complete player than savard and had the best longevity as a point producer of the three. but otoh while hawerchuk has decent excuses for his playoff record, savard has a legitimately great playoff record.
Me too, but I always put Hawerchuk ahead of the other two. Partly because I saw him far more often, but mostly because he did the most with the least support.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I never thought I'd be arguing in favour of Patty Kane in this project, but let me say this. "Sheltering" a player is increasingly difficult in the playoffs, and he has regularly come up big there, while his ice time sees a 1-2 minute per game increase.

I dont disagree with this either.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
PLAYOFF R-ON/R-OFF

Serge Savard

SeasonGames R ON R OFF INCREASE
1967-686#DIV/0! 1.84 #DIV/0!
1968-6914 1.17 1.67 -30%
1971-726 1.00 0.70 43%
1972-7317 1.16 1.93 -40%
1973-746 0.55 1.29 -58%
1974-7511 1.15 1.75 -34%
1975-7613 2.88 1.11 159%
1976-7714 1.92 3.50 -45%
1977-7815 3.63 1.00 263%
1978-7916 1.44 1.38 5%
1979-802 - 1.60 -100%
1980-813 - 0.57 -100%
1981-824 0.63 0.30 108%
1982-833 0.25 0.25 0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Savard's career ratio is almost exactly even. His personal results are very strong (almost identical to Lidstrom, Pronger and Chara), but his teams were consistently excellent (the only defensemen with 100+ playoff games with a better R-Off environment were, basically, all of the Edmonton Oilers, players who were on the 1970s Habs, and Brian Rafalski). Savard's results are basically indistinguishable from longtime teammate Guy Lapointe (keeping in mind Savard had tougher match-ups and contributed more on the PK, while Lapointe contributed more with the man advantage). Another person who put up basically identical R-On and R-Off numbers - Kevin Lowe. I don't think Savard's numbers tell us much that we don't already know - Savard played at a very high level, but it's tricky to disentangle that from the strength of his team.

TABLE WITH CAREER NUMBERS

PLAYERGAMESR-ONR-OFFRATIO
Mark Howe101 1.54 0.87 0.76
Dave Keon92 1.24 0.74 0.67
Erik Karlsson48 1.19 0.77 0.54
Bill Gadsby44 1.12 0.79 0.42
Duncan Keith126 1.30 0.96 0.35
Peter Stastny93 0.97 0.75 0.29
Jarome Iginla81 1.13 0.94 0.21
Brian Leetch95 1.02 0.88 0.15
Eric Lindros53 1.18 1.12 0.05
Martin St. Louis107 1.01 1.02 (0.00)
Serge Savard130 1.35 1.38 (0.02)
Patrick Kane127 1.04 1.12 (0.07)
Norm Ullman87 0.73 0.79 (0.08)
Joe Thornton160 0.79 1.05 (0.25)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thank you for to Hockey Outsider for the outstanding contribution. Will look behind the numbers.

Pre 1970. Before two major broken legs took away Serge Savard's speed.

1969 Conn Smythe winner. Mainly because Serge Savard outplayed Bobby Orr in the semi-finals.
Offensively in six games. Savard 3 G 4A. Orr 1G 3A. Savard was a factor in all wins with 2 Tieing/winning assists and 2 such goals.

Defensively especially the PK. Savard played D/F on the PK. Bruin PP had scored 60 goals in 76 games was reduced to 3 goals in 6 games. On the PP, Savard contributed 1 G 2 A as the Canadiens scored 6 PPG in six games.

1969 NHL Stanley Cup Semi-Finals: BOS vs. MTL | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
how can we reconcile howe's inferior norris record relative to gadsby, leetch, and keith with his superior hart record?

This is actually a good point. When it came to awards voting, it looks like either feast or famine for Howe (at least compared to the other full-career defensemen available here.

3 times Howe was a 1st Team All-Star/Norris runner up, and all three times he received a non-trival amount of Hart votes (3, 5, 7). But those are the only times he was a post-season All-Star.

Overall Norris record 2, 2, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 10

The anti-Howe argument would be
1) It was a little easier for defensemen to get Hart votes in the 1980s than in more recent decades
2) Howe was more likely to get Hart votes than someone like Leetch, who played with a superstar forward in Messier.

Or Mark Howe never agreed with the way Mike Keenan did things, so Keenan isn't too fond of Howe. Howe played 91.8 % of the games available during his prime with the Flyers. He missed games just like everyone else.

I probably made too much of the fact that Howe regularly missed 5-10 games a season; you're right, that isn't unheard of from a star defenseman.

Makes the feast or famine nature of his awards voting a little more puzzling: Mark Howe Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

One pro-Howe argument would probably be something like this: Like Keith, he was a more balanced defenseman than offense-first guys like Leetch and (probably) the NYR version of Gadsby, and it's easier for offensive defenseman to repeat high Norris finishes.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Doesn't this flatter Leetch? Like, a lot? I can't shake the thought that his playoff career mirrors Ovechkin's at this point, with a few more 0 GP seasons replacing a few 7-12 GP seasons.

Among defensemen with a reasonable number of playoff games, only 3 have a point-per-game average in the playoffs: Bobby Orr, Brian Leetch, and Paul Coffey. Nobody else is all that close: Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com.

It's not nothing.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Considering Selanne went exactly where he would be anticipated to land based on the Wingers Project, it probably has more to do with a potential underrating of Kane (short career, 2018-19 hadn’t happened yet) and Thornton (toxic playoffs) than anything else if you think them to be direct comparables.

Selanne looked good relative to Moore and Mahovlich years ago, just as he looked good relative to them here. But we might not even have consensus that Kane and Thornton are better than other contemporaries Iginla, St. Louis, Keith, etc.

Yes, Selanne went about where he should - maybe ahead of a couple of centers who appeared too late, but not crazy early. I think it's more than Kane and Thornton appeared too late, as this board is generally quite conservative about what to do with active players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thank you for to Hockey Outsider for the outstanding contribution. Will look behind the numbers.

Pre 1970. Before two major broken legs took away Serge Savard's speed.

1969 Conn Smythe winner. Mainly because Serge Savard outplayed Bobby Orr in the semi-finals.
Offensively in six games. Savard 3 G 4A. Orr 1G 3A. Savard was a factor in all wins with 2 Tieing/winning assists and 2 such goals.

Defensively especially the PK. Savard played D/F on the PK. Bruin PP had scored 60 goals in 76 games was reduced to 3 goals in 6 games. On the PP, Savard contributed 1 G 2 A as the Canadiens scored 6 PPG in six games.

1969 NHL Stanley Cup Semi-Finals: BOS vs. MTL | Hockey-Reference.com

So can we vote in the pre-broken legs Savard?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Details about Serge Savard's leg injuries and editorial comment:

March 11, 1970 -scroll to page 28.

The Montreal Gazette - Recherche d'archives de Google Actualités

Telling is that Serge Savard had relegated J.C. Tremblay to back-up status.

High praise from Dink Carroll.

January 30, 1971:

Two key points raised in the article. Savard playing forward on the PK. This would split his defensive contribution amongst two positions. Also confirmation that in 1970 he was on an All-Star team trajectory.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
kane played with toews in the 2009 season (including the run to the conference finals), half of the 2010 regular season (+ the cup run), and all of 2011. then they were split up before being reunited for the second half of the 2013 cup run (i.e., kane's conn smythe run).

he also almost always had patrick sharp on his line up to 2013.

i don't know what exactly to make of this information though. i'm tempted to make the argument that kane's offense explodes once he is "freed" from the top opposition he would have faced on toews' line but that isn't actually true; he doesn't explode until a few years after he and toews are separated.

and what do we make of panarin in 2016 and '17? sharp and panarin aren't centers (most of the time) but they are very good legitimate first line players.

Yeah, you're right. Up to 2013, he did have use of Toews and Sharp. It's after that (the last 6 years) where they weren't together.

2013 and back, players who factored in on Kane ES points (279 pts):
Toews 98
Sharp 74
Hossa 34
Seabrook 33
Keith 32
Brouwer 29

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
ted1971 said:
Or Mark Howe never agreed with the way Mike Keenan did things, so Keenan isn't too fond of Howe. Howe played 91.8 % of the games available during his prime with the Flyers. He missed games just like everyone else.​
I probably made too much of the fact that Howe regularly missed 5-10 games a season; you're right, that isn't unheard of from a star defenseman.

Makes the feast or famine nature of his awards voting a little more puzzling: Mark Howe Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

The only thing I can think of is that voters thought other defensemen had better seasons? In 84-85, Howe had better numbers then Rod Langway and possibly Scott Stevens. In 79-80, Borje Salming finished 2nd, but his numbers aren't as good as Bourque or Howe. In 83-84, he should've finished higher then 10th. he had a better season then Beck & Marois and possibly Charlie Huddy. In 87-88, he had a better season then Coffey, Patrick & Kevin Lowe. I think since Howe wasn't flashy, he was sorta taken for granted.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Imagine if Iginla actually played with a #1 center his entire career in Calgary? Conroy, Savard, Langkow isn't exactly a murders row for centers.

On a positive note, his LW's were extremely strong for his last 7 1/2 seasons in Calgary between Huselius, Tanguay and Cammalleri. All 3 averaged around a 70 point pace as Flames during Iginla's time and a 75 point average during 4 of the 5 best seasons of his career.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Among defensemen with a reasonable number of playoff games, only 3 have a point-per-game average in the playoffs: Bobby Orr, Brian Leetch, and Paul Coffey. Nobody else is all that close: Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com.

It's not nothing.

a lot of caveats with leetch’s accomplishment relative to macinnis, potvin, wilson, even reinhart. but still, that is very good company he’s keeping.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Two more defensemen:

From 1919 on backwards, it's quite difficult to ascribe Gerard value at a specific position. It seems he played both forward and defense regularly, probably more forward, especially in his first couple of seasons. Trail of the Stanley Cup lists starting positions for playoff/Cup games. In 1915, Gerard is listed as Ottawa's starting winger in the NHA playoffs. In the Cup series against Vancouver, he played wing under Eastern rules and rover under Western rules. The book mentions that he was mainly a forward until 1918, in which he is said to have alternated on defense with the other Ottawa defenders. He is listed as a forward in the 1917 NHA playoffs, as well as 1919 (he is also listed as a substitute for some games that year). It seems he was starting to become a primary d-man at this point, but moved back to forward when Harry Cameron was acquired.

Starting in 1920, Gerard seems to have been a defenseman more exclusively. Every further playoff game in his career he is listed as a starting defender. Unfortunately the book doesn't really have a whole lot to say about Gerard individually. He was named captain of the Senators around this time, and his ability as a defender (regardless of position) was said to be acknowledged by all.

My best guess would be that Gerard was a Norris contender level of player from 1920 to his 1923 retirement. Perhaps it would be appropriate to give him similar awards credit as Mark Howe has. Like Howe, he started as a forward, so that makes for a good parallel. Howe has three AST-1 selections, all from the three seasons where he was Norris runner-up. Gerard would have been fighting with his teammate Georges Boucher and his sometimes teammates/usually opponents Cleghorn and Cameron for awards in a modern scenario. I'm not sure how many other contenders there would have been from the West at that time. Bullet Joe Simpson was just coming on to the scene when Gerard retired. Lloyd Cook and Art Duncan were dependable, but never made the Hall of Fame, so hard to say. Can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head.

I was probably a little over-zealous for Gerard initially. His longevity isn't great, even for the era. I do believe he deserves to be in the top 100 for his importance to Ottawa's dynasty, and the way his ability was raved about by contemporaries after his retirement. I think I had him around #60 on my original list though; that was too high upon further review.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
From 1919 on backwards, it's quite difficult to ascribe Gerard value at a specific position. It seems he played both forward and defense regularly, probably more forward, especially in his first couple of seasons. Trail of the Stanley Cup lists starting positions for playoff/Cup games. In 1915, Gerard is listed as Ottawa's starting winger in the NHA playoffs. In the Cup series against Vancouver, he played wing under Eastern rules and rover under Western rules. The book mentions that he was mainly a forward until 1918, in which he is said to have alternated on defense with the other Ottawa defenders. He is listed as a forward in the 1917 NHA playoffs, as well as 1919 (he is also listed as a substitute for some games that year). It seems he was starting to become a primary d-man at this point, but moved back to forward when Harry Cameron was acquired.

Starting in 1920, Gerard seems to have been a defenseman more exclusively. Every further playoff game in his career he is listed as a starting defender. Unfortunately the book doesn't really have a whole lot to say about Gerard individually. He was named captain of the Senators around this time, and his ability as a defender (regardless of position) was said to be acknowledged by all.

My best guess would be that Gerard was a Norris contender level of player from 1920 to his 1923 retirement. Perhaps it would be appropriate to give him similar awards credit as Mark Howe has. Like Howe, he started as a forward, so that makes for a good parallel. Howe has three AST-1 selections, all from the three seasons where he was Norris runner-up. Gerard would have been fighting with his teammate Georges Boucher and his sometimes teammates/usually opponents Cleghorn and Cameron for awards in a modern scenario. I'm not sure how many other contenders there would have been from the West at that time. Bullet Joe Simpson was just coming on to the scene when Gerard retired. Lloyd Cook and Art Duncan were dependable, but never made the Hall of Fame, so hard to say. Can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head.

I was probably a little over-zealous for Gerard initially. His longevity isn't great, even for the era. I do believe he deserves to be in the top 100 for his importance to Ottawa's dynasty, and the way his ability was raved about by contemporaries after his retirement. I think I had him around #60 on my original list though; that was too high upon further review.

Among high peak, short career defensemen, Gerard vs Karlsson is an interesting comparison. Totally different styles of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad