Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 18

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I'm warming up to this Round- a LOT. THIS is the one that I sort-of wish we had another week to discuss. [I understand that there's no appetite for this.] What I WOULD do if I had more time would be to do a "playing-year-by-playing-year" comparison of my half-dozen favorites from this Round. That would really get some meat on the bone of the inter-positional comparisons, I think. Unfortunately, the clock is ticking- and i don't think I'll have time for that. So (because our time is limited), let me just run through a few observations I made during my additional research.

1) Sergei Fedorov made his way into the NHL at playing age 21. It was his bad luck to have his worst "hockey-card-stats" campaign of his opening seven seasons in the final year of his contract. His team had just prevailed in the Stanley Cup- and (although I don't want to try to re-litigate the Smythe issue here), would there have been that much outcry if Fedorov made off with that trophy?! One other thing I looked up-- +/- for that span. Fedorov was league-wide #1. Now, of course, he played on (not so much a stacked team as much as it was) a really deep team... but that #1 position included cresting his teammates, as well. If not necessarily the best player in the world at the time, one could say he's at least in the conversation(?) So- negotiation positions harden, Detroit makes the qualifying tender, and dares Fedorov to go out and find an offer-sheet from a team willing to part with the five first round picks, all while publicly asserting that they'll match anything put out there. About 60 games of hockey lost, as a 28 year old- all sacrificed on the shrine of human stubbornness. [More on additional offerings to that shrine later.]

2) Boris Mikhailov has a career arc that looks like a better MPG version of Duncan Keith, strangely enough. 13 seasons with CSKA, 12 of which involved scoring more than a point a game. [The one time he missed, he barely missed.] Doubtless better as a finisher- but Soviet league scoring stats look like they're worthy of considerable skepticism on the matter of under-counting assists. Played with All-World teammates, to be sure- but integrated with everyone who lined up alongside him. That's got to count for a lot, right?!?

3) Brian Leetch- interesting among Defensemen in that he arrived in the NHL with some very well-formed fitness to purpose. It's a stretch to say that a Defenseman at this stage in our conversation can reliably go into 'take-over-game' mode... but if there's any Defenseman left here who could (at their Peak) do so, it's this one. Also not forgetting that he was Captain of Team USA's World Cup of Hockey victory in 1996. Mention was made upthread placing a query on Leetch's NHL captaincy- with the comment that perhaps he tried to do too much. May I humbly suggest that it's more plausible to say that, after his injuries, he was tasked with doing too much? Massive even-strength minutes, first option on Penalty Kill and Power Play, AND captain of an aging, declining team, all while physical degradation was taking its inexorable toll. Wasn't what he accomplished in his first 9-10 years in the league enough to merit serious consideration at this point?!

4) Eric Lindros. The whole Sault Ste Marie affair laid a marker for what could be anticipated by those who had eyes to see and minds to process the information. Just for historical purposes, I looked at how decisively Quebéc decided to commit to the Tank Battle to land in the #1 drafting spot. The Tale of the Tape: next-to-last in goals scored, last in goals against, last in shots taken (by over 100) worst in shots allowed (by more than that) and bottom 5 in Save %. Not really so much a Tank Battle as a Tank Rout. Then, Aubut dug his heels in even more firmly than the ownership in the Soo did, with predictable results.
Eric Lindros said:
My decision not to play for the Nordiques was solely based on the majority owner. It had nothing to do with anything other than that. It had nothing to do with language; my wife is [French-Canadian]. It had nothing to do with the size of the population. It was solely based on ownership. That’s about as clear as I can make it.
So- one of closest things in Hockey History to a functional NHL Superstar 18-year-old was deprived of an entire season right on the front-end of his career, on account of Aubut's willingness to cling chancelessly to the fantasy that a change-of-heart would somehow ensue. Then, as if two monuments to Front Office Stupidity weren't enough, the Bonehead Trinity was completed by Philly's front-office giving Lindros a qualifying tender in the form of a publicly-humiliating two-way contract. So, yet another season was surrendered to History. These lost years are nothing like losing time to more altruistic matters like Wartime Service- but they're part of the story, all the same.

I know that there will be those who call out "common denominator," and I won't ignore that perspective. Yes, I think any dispassionate person would concede that Lindros would have benefitted from full-time Professional Representation and Management. Still, one should realize that Lindros' thoughts to proceed in a different direction probably did not issue from his mind unbidden; they were likely placed there. Having said that, Professional Team Management should have been aware that one does not dialog with family members the way one dialogs with hard-boiled Agents. One of the fundamental lessons of Management is that Leadership cannot effectively use one manner of interaction for all persons without regard for circumstance. The putative Team Professionals (in both Quebéc & Philadelphia) could have been expected to be more- well... Professional.

(t) 5] Bill Gadsby & Duncan Keith: and I STILL go back-and-forth on these guys. Like Leetch above, multiple Norris winners who were (arguably) the most important player on their team during Stanley Cup success (successes) are getting in short supply about now. Alternatively, Gadsby was more NHL-relevant earlier in his career, in a league that was a tougher place to compete, day-to-day. Keith carries the playoff-tested seal-of-approval. That said, could Keith even win one Norris if his competition was Harvey and Kelly? I can't wish away Keith's 2017-18 and go :tmi: like it never happened. It was a real egg. I'll be more sure about this one after Keith retires- and I can judge the full careers of the two. Right now, I got Gadsby in front by a bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle McMahon

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm warming up to this Round- a LOT. THIS is the one that I sort-of wish we had another week to discuss. [I understand that there's no appetite for this.] What I WOULD do if I had more time would be to do a "playing-year-by-playing-year" comparison of my half-dozen favorites from this Round. That would really get some meat on the bone of the inter-positional comparisons, I think. Unfortunately, the clock is ticking- and i don't think I'll have time for that. So (because our time is limited), let me just run through a few observations I made during my additional research.

1) Sergei Fedorov made his way into the NHL at playing age 21. It was his bad luck to have his worst "hockey-card-stats" campaign of his opening seven seasons in the final year of his contract. His team had just prevailed in the Stanley Cup- and (although I don't want to try to re-litigate the Smythe issue here), would there have been that much outcry if Fedorov made off with that trophy?! One other thing I looked up-- +/- for that span. Fedorov was league-wide #1. Now, of course, he played on (not so much a stacked team as much as it was) a really deep team... but that #1 position included cresting his teammates, as well. If not necessarily the best player in the world at the time, one could say he's at least in the conversation(?) So- negotiation positions harden, Detroit makes the qualifying tender, and dares Fedorov to go out and find an offer-sheet from a team willing to part with the five first round picks, all while publicly asserting that they'll match anything put out there. About 60 games of hockey lost, as a 28 year old- all sacrificed on the shrine of human stubbornness. [More on additional offerings to that shrine later.]

2) Boris Mikhailov has a career arc that looks like a better MPG version of Duncan Keith, strangely enough. 13 seasons with CSKA, 12 of which involved scoring more than a point a game. [The one time he missed, he barely missed.] Doubtless better as a finisher- but Soviet league scoring stats look like they're worthy of considerable skepticism on the matter of under-counting assists. Played with All-World teammates, to be sure- but integrated with everyone who lined up alongside him. That's got to count for a lot, right?!?

3) Brian Leetch- interesting among Defensemen in that he arrived in the NHL with some very well-formed fitness to purpose. It's a stretch to say that a Defenseman at this stage in our conversation can reliably go into 'take-over-game' mode... but if there's any Defenseman left here who could (at their Peak) do so, it's this one. Also not forgetting that he was Captain of Team USA's World Cup of Hockey victory in 1996. Mention was made upthread placing a query on Leetch's NHL captaincy- with the comment that perhaps he tried to do too much. May I humbly suggest that it's more plausible to say that, after his injuries, he was tasked with doing too much? Massive even-strength minutes, first option on Penalty Kill and Power Play, AND captain of an aging, declining team, all while physical degradation was taking its inexorable toll. Wasn't what he accomplished in his first 9-10 years in the league enough to merit serious consideration at this point?!

4) Eric Lindros. The whole Sault Ste Marie affair laid a marker for what could be anticipated by those who had eyes to see and minds to process the information. Just for historical purposes, I looked at how decisively Quebec decided to commit to the Tank Battle to land in the #1 drafting spot. The Tale of the Tape: next-to-last in goals scored, last in goals against, last in shots taken (by over 100) worst in shots allowed (by more than that) and bottom 5 in Save %. Not really so much a Tank Battle as a Tank Rout. Then, Aubut dug his heels in even more firmly than the ownership in the Soo did, with predictable results.So- one of closest things in Hockey History to a functional NHL Superstar 18-year-old was deprived of an entire season right on the front-end of his career, on account of Aubut's willingness to cling chancelessly to the fantasy that a change-of-heart would somehow ensue. Then, as if two monuments to Front Office Stupidity weren't enough, the Bonehead Trinity was completed by Philly's front-office giving Lindros a qualifying tender in the form of a publicly-humiliating two-way contract. So, yet another season was surrendered to History. These lost years are nothing like losing time to more altruistic matters like Wartime Service- but they're part of the story, all the same.

I know that there will be those who call out "common denominator," and I won't ignore that perspective. Yes, I think any dispassionate person would concede that Lindros would have benefitted from full-time Professional Representation and Management. Still, one should realize that Lindros' thoughts to proceed in a different direction probably did not issue from his mind unbidden; they were likely placed there. Having said that, Professional Team Management should have been aware that one does not dialog with family members the way one dialogs with hard-boiled Agents. One of the fundamental lessons of Management is that Leadership cannot effectively use one manner of interaction for all persons without regard for circumstance. The putative Team Professionals (in both Quebéc & Philadelphia) could have been expected to be more- well... Professional.

(t) 5] Bill Gadsby & Duncan Keith: and I STILL go back-and-forth on these guys. Like Leetch above, multiple Norris winners who were (arguably) the most important player on their team during Stanley Cup success (successes) are getting in short supply about now. Alternatively, Gadsby was more NHL-relevant earlier in his career, in a league that was a tougher place to compete, day-to-day. Keith carries the playoff-tested seal-of-approval. That said, could Keith even win one Norris if his competition was Harvey and Kelly? I can't wish away Keith's 2017-18 and go :tmi: like it never happened. It was a real egg. I'll be more sure about this one after Keith retires- and I can judge the full careers of the two. Right now, I got Gadsby in front by a bumper.

So 3 of your top 4 all peaked at the same time?

Not saying that makes you wrong per se, but that's a definite pro-early 90s slant.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
So 3 of your top 4 all peaked at the same time... that's a definite pro-early 90s slant.
I don't believe you're in possession of sufficient information to make that conclusion. If you had a copy of my Prelim List, you could hazard a better guess as to whether or not that's what's in play. I don't think my Prelim List is over-represented by that era of players- and I think everyone I discussed in the post above is due for advancement about now, except for Mikhailov, who's (imo) a little overdue, and Fedorov, who's (imnsho) way overdue.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I don't believe you're in possession of sufficient information to make that conclusion. If you had a copy of my Prelim List, you could hazard a better guess as to whether or not that's what's in play. I don't think my Prelim List is over-represented by that era of players- and I think everyone I discussed in the post above is due for advancement about now, except for Mikhailov, who's (imo) a little overdue, and Fedorov, who's (imnsho) way overdue.

Leetch, Keith, Fedorov will not ever make my top 100 list.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I'm just stirring the pot a little bit and used your post as a foil. Sorry about that.

I think 10 years later, the 2008 top 100 looks a little bit too pro 40s-70s. Just think we should be aware that the current list doesn't end up too pro-any era, that's all.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I'm just stirring the pot a little bit and used your post as a foil. Sorry about that.

I think 10 years later, the 2008 top 100 looks a little bit too pro 40s-70s. Just think we should be aware that the current list doesn't end up too pro-any era, that's all.

It will be interesting to compare the 2 lists when all is said and done. IMO, this list is trending toward being a little bit too pro 80's to present.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Lang and Tanguay were also at the same PPG clip as MSL that season and were top 15 in scoring.

The clutch and grab era was alive and well
And it's pretty amazing a guy of such diminutive stature came out on top that year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And it's pretty amazing a guy of such diminutive stature came out on top that year.

MSL was short at 5'8 but he was a solid 180lbs.

Also like it was mentioned upthread some of the bigger players were worn down from injuries in the era.

In fact only one player was in the top 10 scoring in each of the 3 "deadest" seasons of 2001-02 to 2003-04 and that was Markus Naslund.

Furthermore only a single top 10 scorer from 02-03 (Naslund) was in the top 10 the following year.

Has that ever happened before?

Or since?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It will be interesting to compare the 2 lists when all is said and done. IMO, this list is trending toward being a little bit too pro 80's to present.

Well you have elite talent emerging outside of Canada in the late 70's that exploded even more post 1980ish so it's hardly surprising.

13. Hasek
15. Lidstrom
16. Jagr
22. Ovechkin
25. Fetisov
26. Makarov
41. Chelios
43. Kharlamov
50.Treitiak
51. Forsberg
52. Malkin
69. Selanne
76. Juri Kurri

Which of these players isn't a top 100 player?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Well you have elite talent emerging outside of Canada in the late 70's that exploded even more post 1980ish so it's hardly surprising.

13. Hasek
15. Lidstrom
16. Jagr
22. Ovechkin
25. Fetisov
26. Makarov
41. Chelios
43. Kharlamov
50.Treitiak
51. Forsberg
52. Malkin
69. Selanne
76. Juri Kurri

Which of these players isn't a top 100 player?

Not sure what you are trying to say here. I think all these players with the exception of Malkin, Ovechkin, and maybe Selenne were also on the 2008 list so not much of an impact on the current list.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Further to your list and what you said about Lindros here

he whole Sault Ste Marie affair laid a marker for what could be anticipated by those who had eyes to see and minds to process the information.
and also led to his trade from Quebec no doubt left a bad taste with some people, perhaps even some in this group have a lingering feeling about him?

That being said I'm pretty sure that Ted Lindsay in the early 60's might have been looked upon in a slightly lesser light for his union activities maybe time heals all wounds?

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Turek had 22 decisions in 1998, 8 of them against teams that were .500+, and that number could've been only 5 had Turek won one (of his two) game(s) against Ottawa AND his game against Phoenix.

Would that be offset by Turek's decisions being on the road by an almost 2:1 margin (14 road, 8 home)?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not sure what you are trying to say here. I think all these players with the exception of Malkin, Ovechkin, and maybe Selenne were also on the 2008 list so not much of an impact on the current list.

Add Crosby to that as well.

I was responding more to the current list being to 80's to present dominant not so much to compare from the previous list.

I think my previous post provided a partial or possible explanation for why that is so.

Also, it's a fact that there wasn't elite all time great talents from the maritimes or from BC until the 80s as well, with Sakic and Brett Hull from BC and Crosby and MacInnis from the maritimes.

If one were to do a top 100 players from all time prior to 1980, there wouldn't have been 4 guys from BC and the maritimes on that list, nor so many non Canadians to be sure.

IMO the list would probably be off kilter a bit if it wasn't post 1980ish heavy given these reasons.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I like St. Louis and his skillset but some context is probably needed. He won his Hart/Art Ross in the late stages of the DPE when Markus Näslund/Iginla were the big shots Art Ross threats because Forsberg was crippled and everyone else from the 90s were running on fumes after years of abuse and literally dragging Derian Hatcher/Todd Simpson type of players around on the their backs.

if we’re going to relitigate the 2004 season, yeah it was weak af.

second place in scoring and 1AST center was sakic’s 6th or 7th best season.

tied for 2nd + the rocket was third year kovalchuk. a good player at his peak but to put it in perspective, he never finished higher than 5th in points ever again.

2nd in hart voting was iginla, who scored all of four goals in the first two months of the season and still managed to tie for the rocket. did not score a point/game and in the other 3/4 of the season he scored at exactly a 50 goal pace, so it’s not like he turned it on at a bure pace after november.

also tied for the rocket was rick nash. enough said.

4th in scoring was markus naslund’s least impressive season in four years.

thingsone might not remember:

- robert lang was leading the league in scoring fairly late in the season iirc.

- patrik elias was the best LW

- alex tanguay probably would have been #2 had he not missed the last three weeks of the season.

- mats sundin got the 2AST just for being normal old 75 point sundin.

- even lidstrom, who won the norris in the six surrounding seasons and was 1AST in the nine surrounding seasons, had a dog crap year.

all that said, it’s not like MSL didn’t trounce his competition, weak though it was.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would that be offset by Turek's decisions being on the road by an almost 2:1 margin (14 road, 8 home)?

Let's say it does.

... You're still comparing a guy who played 3X the amount of minutes the other did.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Voted. My highest ranked remaining player is #1, but 4 newly eligible players jumped my #2 carryover, 3 modern players and Cowley.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If you ignore potential/what-ifs entirely, is Lindros any better than Thornton? If so, why?

They both won a Hart. Thornton actually has an Art Ross as well. Joe's been a top five and top ten scorer more often and has a nice long and healthy prime unlike Eric.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
They both won a Hart. Thornton actually has an Art Ross as well.

Eh, both scored alongside Jagr those years. 1 or 2 points in whatever direction doesn't do much. Had Lindros played 2 more games he would have Art Rossed too. But, Thornton should at least get credit for doing it over 80 games. But Lindros was a more intense in-your-face impact guy. He had an actual playoffs where he looked dominant (1997) and also set up Linden for the game-tying goal in the Olympics semifinals against the Czechs in 1998 after some good hustling behind the net.

Joe Thornton just never had any such moments, moving the best-on-best needle in crucial moments. That's why Lindros is here and Thornton isn't (yet, perhaps he shows up tomorrow).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I both want to rank Eric Lindros first and last.

On the one hand, no one can approach his historical impact, his peak level of domination, his star power, his uniqueness as a player, etc.

On the other, his career on paper sucks at this point.

So I'm going to throw him in the middle and call it a day.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
If you ignore potential/what-ifs entirely, is Lindros any better than (un-nominated player)? If so, why?

They both won a Hart. (Un-nominated player) actually has an Art Ross as well. Homophobic Slur's been a top five and top ten scorer more often and has a nice long and healthy prime unlike Eric.
I was about to chase this shiny object- but then I checked myself.

I hope you don't take this personally- because typically, I like your contributions and welcome your input. I'm only quoting your post because it just happens to be the latest example of the sort of assertion we see too much of in this Project. "Why should we consider (nominated player X) when I don't see that he has any visible merit over (un-nominated player Y)."

For instance, it would side-track the spirit of the Project for me to say "I can't see any reason to favor St Louis over (six different un-nominated Wingers)." It would be better for me to say (as I have already) that I believe St Louis & Belfour are really close... and that I favor St Louis over Cowley.

Edit: even though I'd happily take more time on this Round if I could, I just dropped off my ballot. [You know, just in case I decide to venerate the Patron a little too much today.] D, E, F on my Prelim List turned into E, F, D in my placings-- so talking this out made me reconsider some things. (And I'm still not sure I have it entirely right.) I/J is another grouping that could have gone either way.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If you ignore potential/what-ifs entirely, is Lindros any better than Thornton? If so, why?

They both won a Hart. Thornton actually has an Art Ross as well. Joe's been a top five and top ten scorer more often and has a nice long and healthy prime unlike Eric.

Lindros broke Joe's face in a fight, turning Thornton into the soft setup man that he became.

And if you saw them both play, you would know why Lindros was better.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad