Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 18

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ok...so where does Bure go? He barely made pension in the NHL...so doesn't that factor in? Why are you ascribing the lack of Bure (who made my list, for the record) to lack of top-10 finishes instead of the elephant in the room...? Which is him not playing games.

I was using him as a comparison to Harvey in being better than his stats looked.

Games played?

What about for Russia and internationally?

As much as I like him as a player and as a Canuck fan he wouldn't make my top 100.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Is that what everyone is referring to when they said he controlled the game? Line changes? You’d better let them know because I don’t think they realized this was what made him second to Orr.

If he was so great at controlling it then why didn’t he turn it into more offense? If he touched the puck the most on the team, which is what this implies, then how could he even avoid not finishing higher in team scoring? I have no doubt he was great for his era, I just question how he could possibly be viewed as the next tier after Orr when we know other defenders came and did their own version of “controlled the game” and were clearly larger contributors to their teams offense. This group is saddled in between Orr and Harvey in this regard in most, if not all cases. Not adding up guys.

Everyone is referring to aspects of the game that you do not recognize or appreciate. Listing some. PK before the 1956-57 rule change limiting the PP to one goal, coincidental penalty situations that did not exist by the time Orr arrived.

Controlling the game pace is about winning, not trying to score taking unnecessary risks and blowing 5-1 leads in playoff games.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Nobody who watched Harvey play can question that he was controlling the game.It's like questioning that Lemieux was a good one-on-one player, or that Chara is tall.This betrays either that you never bothered to watch him (despite arguing against him for over a decade on this board) or that you're brain-damaged when it comes to evaluating talent.Pick one.

Oh I’ve watched and it’s been exaggerated here and accounts and quotes are often taken at face value. Maybe in the early 70’s he stood out as second to Orr with a gap after that but the numbers, which both Mario and Chara have on their side, don’t show him as the closest thing to a poor man’s Orr anymore. Orr was literally leading his teams offense and the numbers clearly show it. Harvey was usually quite far down in team scoring, despite being part of their legendary PP unit. It’s because he wasn’t Orr, didn’t rush the puck nearly as much, not even close, and he sat back far more. It’s fine, but it means he wasn’t controlling the play like some others who have come since that did those things more. Bourque is the best example. Played a ton, shot a ton, was all
over the ice, being the motor behind his team.

Could Harvey have done it more? Sure, but being clear second to Orr is still a stretch.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Everyone is referring to aspects of the game that you do not recognize or appreciate. Listing some. PK before the 1956-57 rule change limiting the PP to one goal, coincidental penalty situations that did not exist by the time Orr arrived.

Controlling the game pace is about winning, not trying to score taking unnecessary risks and blowing 5-1 leads in playoff games.

Is this supposed to be the big reason why Orr and Harvey are so far apart statistically? I’ll give you points for trying.

Sure, but the Habs has way more going for them than just Harvey “controlling the play/pace” so let’s not pretend he was their Orr cause they really weren’t the same type of player. 27 points vs. 120 displays this with a blinding light. Which leads us right back to my original point, which was just a thought on what Farkas posted, which still isn’t going to be proven wrong because it’s true.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I waited a bit before taking on the mantle of "clubhouse moderator," but i think now's a good time for these reminders:
Stay on topic and don't get caught up in talking about non-eligible players
This thread exists for the purpose of discussing this Round's nominees, who are-

Vote 18 Candidates
  • Bill Cowley
  • Bill Gadsby
  • Boris Mikhailov
  • Brian Leetch
  • Duncan Keith
  • Ed Belfour
  • Eric Lindros
  • Martin St. Louis
  • Nels Stewart
  • Sergei Fedorov
  • Zdeno Chara
And some contributions may be approaching running afoul of this particular clause:
Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey will be met with frontier justice
There's so much interesting material available that my biggest struggle is where to start! We shouldn't have to brook off-topic posts about players addressed long ago, or players not yet part of the discussion...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
How?

Edit: okay, I see...

Double edit: Flames already have a Cup, they don't need another one.

Triple edit: Was it really Flames fault only though? I mean, St. Louis can't really play the size card here because V. Bure is also a midget.

St-Louis can play the Hart+Art Ross on a Stanley Cup win against that let him go for nothing card. A card that neither Bure brother has in his hand.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
St-Louis can play the Hart+Art Ross on a Stanley Cup win against that let him go for nothing card. A card that neither Bure brother has in his hand.

I like St. Louis and his skillset but some context is probably needed. He won his Hart/Art Ross in the late stages of the DPE when Markus Näslund/Iginla were the big shots Art Ross threats because Forsberg was crippled and everyone else from the 90s were running on fumes after years of abuse and literally dragging Derian Hatcher/Todd Simpson type of players around on the their backs.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I like St. Louis and his skillset but some context is probably needed. He won his Hart/Art Ross in the late stages of the DPE when Markus Näslund/Iginla were the big shots Art Ross threats because Forsberg was crippled and everyone else from the 90s were running on fumes after years of abuse and literally dragging Derian Hatcher/Todd Simpson type of players around on the their backs.
Kovalchuk and Sakic were also factors that season.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Tampa didn't seem to learn from it either because later on they let another small sized undrafted French-Canadian player go for nothing, who also would have won the Cup if not for meeting a team in the finals who actually had more than one player who could do something on the offensive side of the puck.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Kovalchuk and Sakic were also factors that season.

Kovalchuk is a flashier and slightly better/glorified winger version of Alex Yashin. Sakic didn't have that great of a season by his own standards (hence the mentioning of running on fumes). Players like Cory Stillman and Robert Lang also made the top 10 in scoring that year (with Lang actually scoring at a higher clip than Sakic).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Another good argument like that and St-Louis will look better than Ed Belfour as far as I'm concerned...

Last edited:

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Ed Belfour vs. other Dallas Stars goaltenders

Tm GA RnkTm GAGPSv %GAA
19973rd198
Moog 48.9132.15
19982nd167
Belfour 61.9161.88
Turek 23.9012.22
19991st168
Belfour 61.9151.99
Turek 26.9152.29
20003rd184
Belfour 62.9192.10
Fernandez 24.9202.13
20012nd187
Belfour 63.9052.34
Turco 26.9251.90
200218th213
Belfour 60.8953.17
Turco 31.9212.49
20033rd169
Turco 55.9321.73
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

While Ed Belfour had a career renaissance in Dallas, it does look like a very good defense to have in front of you, because a lot of other guys did just as well. His value added comes in the playoffs for stringing together enough good runs for Dallas to win its only Cup. While Belfour was on my 120 and CuJo was not, I don't think I'd be as quick to put Belfour ahead of Joseph, who generally had weak teams in front of him before Detroit (and then, even mighty Detroit gave him anemic goal support, sending Joseph off with a pair of 1-0 playoff losses in his final games. With a .931 save percentage and 1.64 GAA, Joseph went 4-8 as a Wing.)

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ed Belfour vs other Dallas Stars goaltenders

Tm GA RnkTm GASv %GAA
19973rd198
Moog.9132.15
19982nd167
Belfour.9161.88
Turek.9012.22
19991st168
Belfour.9151.99
Turek.9152.29
20003rd184
Belfour.9192.10
Fernandez.9202.13
20012nd187
Belfour.9052.34
Turco.9251.90
200218th213
Belfour.8953.17
Turco.9212.49
20033rd169
Turco.9321.73
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
While Ed Belfour had a career renaissance in Dallas, it does look like a very good defense to have in front of you, because a lot of other guys did just as well. His value added comes in the playoffs for stringing together enough good runs for Dallas to win its only Cup. While Belfour was on my 120 and CuJo was not, I don't think I'd be as quick to put Belfour ahead of Joseph, who generally had weak teams in front of him before Detroit (and then, even mighty Detroit gave him anemic goal support, sending Joseph off with a pair of 1-0 playoff losses in his final games. With a .931 save percentage and 1.64 GAA, Joseph went 4-8 as a Wing.)

You can't exactly do this without posting the games played (I mean, you can, but you get the idea...)

Reactions: Canadiens1958

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kovalchuk is a flashier and slightly better/glorified winger version of Alex Yashin. Sakic didn't have that great of a season by his own standards (hence the mentioning of running on fumes). Players like Cory Stillman and Robert Lang also made the top 10 in scoring that year (with Lang actually scoring at a higher clip than Sakic).

Lang and Tanguay were also at the same PPG clip as MSL that season and were top 15 in scoring.

The clutch and grab era was alive and well.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I wonder too how much of an effect moving from Reunion Arena to the new building for the 2001-02 season had for Dallas' GAA numbers. The ice at the old building was notoriously awful, and may have suppressed scoring.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Plus looking at quality of opposition and back to back games on consecutive days.

Turek had 22 decisions in 1998, 8 of them against teams that were .500+, and that number could've been only 5 had Turek won one (of his two) game(s) against Ottawa AND his game against Phoenix.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad