Top 10 worst contracts in the NHL

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Year 3/4 of Whatever contract John Carlson signs this summer. Guys playing some fantastic hockey in the finals and is going to get paid July 1st.

Currently I’d say Lucic, seabrook, Toews (by 3-4 million), Darling, phaneuf, Matt martin, all possible answers

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Brendan Smith honestly worse than Marc Staal on the Rangers. Dude was buried in the minors all season with a 4.3 million dollar cap hit. At least Staal is still serviceable.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Brendan Smith honestly worse than Marc Staal on the Rangers. Dude was buried in the minors all season with a 4.3 million dollar cap hit. At least Staal is still serviceable.

and he was excellent the year before. It was documented that Smith got married in the summer and came into camp out of shape (Don LaGrecca ESPN radio) last season. He will come into camp hungry and frankly not playing AV's man-man hybrid system will help all the defense under Quinn.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
and he was excellent the year before. It was documented that Smith got married in the summer and came into camp out of shape (Don LaGrecca ESPN radio) last season. He will come into camp hungry and frankly not playing AV's man-man hybrid system will help all the defense under Quinn.
It was actually well talked about that he was a dumpster fire before and after that trade. Rangers thought they found a diamond in the rough as opposed to a guy trying to cash in on a new contract after being traded.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Vancouver has two awful contracts with Gudbranson who literally does NOTHING and Eriksson.

Every one on the first page with Perry, Price and Weber.

Matt Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian

Evander Kane in San Jose is a head scratcher. He goes hot then ice cold and has ALWAYS relied on top centers, he takes too many shots, most right into the chest of the goaltender causing the play to go dead. Then there's his attitde and off the ice stuff. The money is too much and the term is horrendous. They will regret it in 3 years if not next year.

Surprised no one said Eichel in 3 pages. There was sort of an uprorar coming into this year but I think after once again finishing just under PPG 2nd straight year despite injuries, it's evident he's worth it. Looks like a slight overpayment now but in his prime years with the cap going up it should look just fine.g 10 x 8 years, YOU Have to pay your star top dollars and having him until 2026 is great news. Besides even if you view this as a bad contract (I think it's maybe 1m too high AS OF NOW) it's no where near the worst contracts.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
You want the Worst Contracts? Click this link and you got them all listed on there.

Cost Per Point - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Wow, never looked at NHL contracts like that before.

I'd have to say Zach Parise should be #1 worst contract going by that list since he has 7 more years.

Another weird thing that this list made me consider....

A guy like Phil Kessel (who I love btw) makes $86,000 per point (and that's US$) and that's all he does!

If I was making $86,000 a year I'd feel like I was doing quite a bit better than most.........like holy shit these guys get paid, I mean I know that of course I do, they win the lottery jackpot every new season, some of them win Lottario (the AHL waiver guys) and some of them win 649 when it's gone up to $12 million, every...single....year they play. Crazy.

Reactions: Newfy OilPenguin

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Price's contract hasn't even kicked in yet, and people want to place him at #1. lol

I agree that he should be given one more year to see if this is the new normal or if he can bounce back, as he's been injured a lot.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Not a MTL fan, but I'm astonished at how quickly folks have given up on Carey Price. Goalie is the most important position in the game, and, granted, Carey had a terrible year last year, but before that he was the undisputed best goaltender in the world for several years running. He's only 30, and goalies tend not to decline as fast as skaters do. If he rounds back into form, he'll be worth every penny.

Reactions: jfhabs

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
\
MIN - Zach Parise - 7.538M x 7

Oft-injured, and lost his offensive flaire - Parise seems like a candidate for LTIR-etirement.

I'm certainly not going to pretend Parise's contract is a particularly good one (I was it was about $2 million cheaper), but he hasn't lost his offensive flair. He had a back injury that required surgery, sat out half the season, then came back very rusty. After about a month he turned into the ZP of old. He led our team in goal scoring down the stretch, and led them offensively in the playoffs. Heck, he was the only guy that could score in the playoffs. I think he's a little fragile these days, but if he could stay healthy he'd be a good contract. As it is, it's very meh. At least he's not quite as fragile as Gaborik was here, though he's also not as offensively gifted either. With his back finally fixed via surgery, he's far less of a candidate for LTIR than he was before this season started. I'll put it this way, with Parise coming into a season being healthy for the first time in 3 seasons, he's one of the last guys I'd want to move, even with that contract. That's also an indictment on the rest of the team.

Reactions: Rolo

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
With his back finally fixed via surgery, he's far less of a candidate for LTIR than he was before this season started. I'll put it this way, with Parise coming into a season being healthy for the first time in 3 seasons..
This is interesting news to me, as a fantasy hockey player - might have to snag him super late.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Not a MTL fan, but I'm astonished at how quickly folks have given up on Carey Price. Goalie is the most important position in the game, and, granted, Carey had a terrible year last year, but before that he was the undisputed best goaltender in the world for several years running. He's only 30, and goalies tend not to decline as fast as skaters do. If he rounds back into form, he'll be worth every penny.

I think it's because it is widely expected that his contract will likely become a very bad one. Not for sure, but just very likely.

I'm not putting him on that list yet but he'll probably be filling in on top 3 worst contract at some point the question is will they get 5 amazing years out of him and will they be competitive enough within 5 years that you say ok that's fine to pay a goalie $10m/year?

I'll wait and see if he rebounds next year, after that he's shooting straight to the top of bad contracts if he doesn't go back to being one of, if not the best, goalies in the league.

Reactions: Rolo

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

It's not that people aren't saying Price isn't good, they're saying that when you consider the make of the Canadiens having a player who can't score one goal being paid 10 million hurts your roster. Especially if said player wont be signed for his prime years, this looks like a Vancouver Luongo situation or worse.

Price wasn't the BEST GOaltender in the world for several years running, there may have been two seasons where people (most people) considered him the best in the game.

He went godly for a season or two, but so have other goalies like Ryan Miller. That could be Price in a few years, hell maybe even next year when you consider how bad Price was last year. He has no support. He's a great goalie but the whole situation comes into play with CONTRACT it isn't always just money and term.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Toews takes too much heat in these threads because while he's overpaid he's still a very good player, which is far from the case with these other players. I'd take overpaying a good player 2-3 million every day of the week over giving 4, 5, or 6 million to a scrub.

Price probably deserves some slack to but I'm biased because I think paying that much to any goalie is a bad move and I hate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad