Top 10 worst contracts in the NHL

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Let me know if you agree/disagree with any of these or would add a player..

NYI - Andrew Ladd (32) - 5.5M x 5

Islanders are going to be paying 5.5M for 5 years for a guy who seems to be a 30pt player.

CHI - Brent Seabrook (33) - 6.875M x 6
At age 33, he's only going to get worse, and that term is insane for a #5 defender.

MIN - Zach Parise - 7.538M x 7
Oft-injured, and lost his offensive flaire - Parise seems like a candidate for LTIR-etirement.

NYR - Brendan Smith (29) - 4.35M x 3
Decent chunk of money and term for a guying who is playing in the AHL.

OTT - Bobby Ryan (31) - 7.25M x 4
Misses about 20 games a year, and can't hit more than 15 goals or 35 points. Bounceback factor is a possibility due to great playoff run in 2016/17 but still... Two crap seasons in a row.

VAN - Loui Eriksson (32) - 6M x 4
If you're a regular HFboards poster, you've seen the countless Loui Eriksson hate threads and posts.

NYR - Marc Staal (31) - 5.7M x 3
Just... bad.

EDM - Milan Lucic (29) - 6M x 5
He might bounce back, doubt he's this bad - but he will get worse and worse from here on out, that's the nature of players like Lucic.

CAR - Scott Darling - 4.15M x 3
Possibility of bouncing back, but also a strong chance he's the most overpaid backup in the league.

BUF - Zach Bogosian (27) - 5.142M x 2
Absolutely been useless his entire tenure, luckily only has 2 years left, and spends most of his time on the LTIR.

TBL - Ryan Callahan (33) - 5.8 x 2
Probably the highest paid 4th liner in the league, 2 years left on this brutal contract.

CHI - Jonathan Toews (30) - 10.5M x 5
Plays like a 7.5-8.5M player at best, getting paid for helping the resurgence of Chicago. If he declines even further, this could be #1, but he at least provides 50pts + elite two-way game.

Honourable mentions:
MTL - Karl Alzner (29) - 4.625M x 4
ANA - Corey Perry (33) - 8.625M x 3
CLB - Brandon Dubinsky (32) - 5.85M x 3
OTT - Marian Gaborik (36) - 4.875M x 3
PHI - Andrew MacDonald (31) - 5M x 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Macbanan

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Not sure how Corey Perry didn't make this list. He's a third liner making NHL All Star superstar money.
Ah good catch, completely forgot. Although 49/53 pts isn't 3rd line tier.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ah good catch, completely forgot. Although 49/53 pts isn't 3rd line tier.
That's cause Carlyle won't move him off Getzlaf and Rakell's line. He has his moments of playing like his old self but for the most part the puck dies on his stick way more often than he does anything useful with it.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
How are Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler not at least honorable mentions? Perry is paid extravagantly (8.625 for 3 more years) to be a middle six producer. Kesler, while I adore what he did his first few years in Anaheim, is now broken. He is rumored to not even play a single game this upcoming season and we will just cross our fingers that in a year and half he can be anywhere worth the 6.875 for the final three years until he's 37. (37!)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would trade Brouwer straight up for Perry, Toews, or Price every day of the week

Hell, I'd probably trade some actual value if the Flames had any to spare

None of those three belong anywhere near this list.

Reactions: sharks9

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a bad list. Would probably have Weber on there over B. Smith or Staal just because of the term. He's making nearly 8 million per for the next 8 years and is certainly not getting any faster.

Kesler is another one that's going to get worse before it gets worse. Who the hell gave Bogosian that money anyway?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lucic is near, or at the bottom. This is a guy who is an anchor in the top 6 and actively ruining the production of McDavid. Lucics production flatter him because he was stapled to McDavid for most of the year. I have little doubt that Bobby Ryan would have faired much better with McDavid. Lucic has also lost all fire and plays the game like a pansy. There was numerous instances where he would get rocked and get up like a scared choir boy. Atleast if he was gooning it up and creating fear on the ice, hed have some value. This a player completely checked out and riding into retirement

To make matter s worse, PWFs go down hill faster due to wear and tear on the body. So what were are seeing with Lucic may only get noticeably worse in the future

I would trade him straight up for Seabrook and Ryan. Parise I wouldnt as that contract is legitamately one of the worst ever (although signed in a different time).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nathan Horton's deal would be crippling to a lot of non-cap teams as the Leafs pay his full salary as his contract wasn't insured.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would have Lucic at # 1. He's in slow motion on the ice

Vegas is eating David Clarkson's contract, final verdict was it was not insured either
( 2 more years @ 5,250,000)
the only silver lining of the expansion draft for CBJ

But Vegas has made enough this post season to pay it off.

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
Really surprised there's a contract for 3 years under 4.5million on your list but you left off Carey Price's contract's off lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad