Top 10 worst contracts in the NHL

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
People don't understand Weber's contract is only bad for Nashville it amazes me....

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Every year, it gets worse...hang on guys, as mentioned, July 2nd will be the new benchmark.

Charging ahead full-steam towards another lockout.

These contracts on 7/2 are going to be new levels of stupid.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Brendan Smith is owed 4 million per year for the next 3 years. he also doesn't play in the NHL right now.

He's gonna be back up in the NHL as long as he actually works out and conditions this summer. Coupled with AV being gone, most Rangers fans think he'll be back.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Paying an average defenseman 8 million dollars doesn’t make it good for the Habs either.

Average defenceman? Who are you talking about? He’s still in the top half of number 1 defenceman in the league and his salary is going down. Not to mention the $7.6 million won’t look so bad with the cap rapidly inflating like it is. Nashville should be the ones afraid as the cap recapture is huge for them while he only has to play a few more seasons for it not to affect us at all.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
JVR will be on here. I like him, but he's one of those guys that teams will regret committing to long-term going into his 30s

JvR will still probably score 25-35 for the next three years and 20-30 for the next two or three after that just due to his hands and net front play, realistically how much worse can his skating get? Anything less than 7 will be fine...if he is signed by a team like Calgary or Boston that can insulate him well.

Price is obviously not good but at least he's a superstar and goalies tend to maintain their play longer. Lucic, Eriksson and Alzner are definitely worse. Brown had a bounce back year but still, Ladd is unfortunate, too much for Backes for too long.

Toews and Seabrook are bad but three cups...bad but it's not like there's zero justification.

Macdonald is bad but it isn't heinous anymore, it's just two more years.

The absolute worst contract I would say in my mind is Alzner.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Paying an average defenseman 8 million dollars doesn’t make it good for the Habs either.

Was injured first game of the season this season, was 6th in Norris voting the year before... I guess there's only 5 above avergae D in the league then :help:

member 157595

JvR will still probably score 25-35 for the next three years and 20-30 for the next two or three after that just due to his hands and net front play, realistically how much worse can his skating get? Anything less than 7 will be fine...if he is signed by a team like Calgary or Boston that can insulate him well.

Price is obviously not good but at least he's a superstar and goalies tend to maintain their play longer. Lucic, Eriksson and Alzner are definitely worse. Brown had a bounce back year but still, Ladd is unfortunate, too much for Backes for too long.

Toews and Seabrook are bad but three cups...bad but it's not like there's zero justification.

Macdonald is bad but it isn't heinous anymore, it's just two more years.

The absolute worst contract I would say in my mind is Alzner.

I forgot about Alzner. Everyone saw that coming except for Geoff Molson's love child.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Charging ahead full-steam towards another lockout.

These contracts on 7/2 are going to be new levels of stupid.

Bad contracts don't point toward a lockout. The players get 50% of HRR regardless. Bad contracts just distribute that money badly for the teams that own them. That can't be fixed by the CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad