Top 10 Struggling Players at Mid-Point of Season

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
You clearly didn't read what I wrote. I made note to the amount of points he is on pace for. And his statistics show he isn't as much of an offensive threat as Hamilton has been in the past. Relax buddy

Guys like Marc Methot, Michael Stone are stay at home defensemen. Hanifin is decent enough defensively, but he certainly doesn’t stay at home. It’s okay to admit you don’t actually watch a player.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Guys like Marc Methot, Michael Stone are stay at home defensemen. Hanifin is decent enough defensively, but he certainly doesn’t stay at home. It’s okay to admit you don’t actually watch a player.
Okay. Stay at home wasn't the correct way too put it looking back. He is more defensively minded then stay at home. I was incorrect too say stay at home

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That’s actually a pretty good comparison though. Bouwmeester was probably a better skater in his prime, but I think Hanifin’s offensive skills are a bit better. Both scored goals mostly from jumping up in the play rather than shots from the point. The only reason Bouwmeester didn’t put up more points in Calgary was because Sutter didn’t want any defensemen ever leaving the point. Bouwmeester was back to jumping up in the play all the time for the short time Hartley was his coach.

At the time of the draft, Bouwmeester had entered the SAH phase, even with St. Louis. I'm pretty sure Button really pushed that as a way to downplay Hanifin's offensive upside; he was the most vocal critic of Hanifin's offensive ceiling.

Hanifin reminded me of OEL stylistically in Carolina. Long, sort of lanky build with the skating that allows him to jump into the rush effectively. Hanifin is more of a playmaker whereas OEL is more of a shooter.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Quick isn’t at his best, but man, you guys should watch some of the games. If Doughty or Muzzin aren’t on the ice, the defense is a complete shitshow. Forwards aren’t helping, defensemen aren’t clearing, it’s bad all around. The Kings are also having a near-historically-bad penalty kill this season. Hell, for a while, the Kings had more shorthanded goals against than powerplay goals.

Kopitar though, there’s like zero effort there. Last year was a real high, this year is a real low. No bueno. I’d add Toffoli and Carter to the list over Quick, for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Analytically he's the worst C in the league for scoring chances against, at least he was and I don't think it's changed. As a 2 way player he's bottom barrel and he's absolutely not scoring at all right now. I'd say as far as disappointing players go he's right there after the 10 you mentioned.

Evgeni Kuznetsov isn't even the most disappointing player on his team. Kuzy was playing well until he had a concussion and he's been trying to find his game since. Pretty normal for players to struggle after coming back from a brain injury.

The most disappointing player on the Caps easily goes to Andre Burakovsky and it's not particularly close. Dude has been totally useless and looks like he's playing his way out of DC.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
TJ Oshie doesn’t have as many points as you might expect. Has looked invisible for stretches this season (I actually just looked up how many points he had... I only knew vaguely he hasn’t been amazing)

Another guy coming back from a concussion. I think Oshie had 1 goal in 30+ games last year coming back from getting his brain rattled.

Reactions: Zack Kelly

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good list and good post.

Dougie Hamilton. :laugh: Wish I could say I’m sorry to see him struggling. I hope he’s at least enjoying the post game dominoe shows in Carolina.

Soft. Always has been and likely always will be.

Reactions: Zack Kelly

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Analytically he's the worst C in the league for scoring chances against, at least he was and I don't think it's changed. As a 2 way player he's bottom barrel and he's absolutely not scoring at all right now. I'd say as far as disappointing players go he's right there after the 10 you mentioned.

Also, read that he has 1 ES goal all year. That’s insane. 1 goal in the last 20 games or something like that.

Many talked him up to be a top 5 C in the game earlier in the year.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Gotta be McDavid as he's not leading the league in scoring. That's struggling for him isn't it?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Helly buck could also have made your list. Last year a Venzina finalist paid 6 mil and now a middle of the pack goalie.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Here's a couple that I'd like to say just missed out..

Carey Price
has been better then last year but still hasn't been all that great. Compared to the Price we've seen in the past. yikes.

Jamie Benn
On pace for 64 points (likely to go down with his injury). Hasn't been the same Jamie Benn...

Shane Gostisbehere
After posting phenomenal offensive numbers last year. It doesn't seem like he's having the same type of season.

David Backes
He simply looks badd.. Don't know what to say. Just simply not very good anymore.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019

Carey Price
has been better then last year but still hasn't been all that great. Compared to the Price we've seen in the past. yikes.

Jamie Benn
On pace for 64 points (likely to go down with his injury). Hasn't been the same Jamie Benn...

Shane Gostisbehere
After posting phenomenal offensive numbers last year. It doesn't seem like he's having the same type of season.

David Backes
He simply looks badd.. Don't know what to say. Just simply not very good anymore.
I was hesitant too add many goalies and i didnt want too add price not because im a habs fan but montreals defense was weak at the beginning of the year but since the return of weber prices numbers have been on the raise. i do agree it has been a rough seasonf or him tho

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Helly buck could also have made your list. Last year a Venzina finalist paid 6 mil and now a middle of the pack goalie.
too young, and again i'm not huge for adding goalies. he isn't doing as well as he did last year but in no way is he struggling. he is preforming fine. just not as good as last year. he is too young to know exactly what kinda goalie he is yet

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Pacioretty shouldn't be anywhere near that list.
Patrick is a barely out of been a prospect. No place for him on this list.

Depending on what expectations one has for Price, he could definitely be on there.
I think Pietrangelo should be included.

Reactions: kudymen

Dump and Chase Demon

Sep 14, 2018
Sweden

Carey Price

Jamie Benn

Shane Gostisbehere

David Backes

Good adds. Provorov seems to struggle too. I know Philly is a mess but I feel he significantly lost some bite and confidence.

Bobrovsky isn't awful neither but he is having quite a sub-par season compared to expectations.

Case could be made for Luongo too. I know he's been injured (and aging) but he had a stellar save percentage just one year ago.

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Pacioretty shouldn't be anywhere near that list.
Patrick is a barely out of been a prospect. No place for him on this list.

Depending on what expectations one has for Price, he could definitely be on there.
I think Pietrangelo should be included.
Patrick has failed to produce at the pro level for 2 years not after being a second overall pick. and pacioretty despite picking it up as recent still is not at form lately. pietrangelo has been hurt and price hasnt been playing well but only too price standards

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I thought Ghost bear would hit 70 pts this year. . 40 might be a stretch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad