top 10 leagues?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The EPL sucks. I say that as a United fan. It’s boring. The money is so huge now nearly every team plays just not to lose. It’s evident every week.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You can't say EPL was great either when teams underachieved in the CL and Leicester was champs.
So if you can't say it now nor two years ago.... :huh:

I don't think the EPL is better than La Liga, nor significantly better than the other top leagues. But I do think the top of the table is the most competitive, because all of the teams are generally around the same level (below the truly elite teams).

Yes but i think the Gap berween LaLiga and EPL is bigger than EPL to Bundesliga. EPL has nt a "Superteam" like Barca,Real or Bayern. This is the reason why the parity of Top-Klub in EPL are tight).
My "Gap-Ranking";)(Sorry i havn t regard this in my former posts):

1. La Liga

2. PL
3. Bundesliga
4. Serie A

5. Lique 1

Yeah, the EPL doesn't have a Barca/Madrid/Bayern (City is in that tier just below them right now). I think the EPL is comfortably in 2nd for leagues at the moment, as the Bundesliga was pretty meh this year.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
I don't think the EPL is better than La Liga, nor significantly better than the other top leagues. But I do think the top of the table is the most competitive, because all of the teams are generally around the same level (below the truly elite teams).

Yeah, the EPL doesn't have a Barca/Madrid/Bayern (City is in that tier just below them right now). I think the EPL is comfortably in 2nd for leagues at the moment, as the Bundesliga was pretty meh this year.
But after a one weak year(Bundesliga) or strong Year(Serie A) i don t want to change my opinion. The next season is interesting. Then we can see if was an an accident or more.
I think the PL is overrated. Especially in the middle and bottom table zone. The big strengh of PL are the teams between 2nd and 6th place. This is the core of PL strengh. The Bundesliga isn t weaker in middle and bottom zone and 1st place. Remember! The PL has extremly more money in circulation.The effectivity is bad!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But after a one weak year(Bundesliga) or strong Year(Serie A) i don t want to change my opinion. The next season is interesting. Then we can see if was an an accident or more.
I think the PL is overrated. Especially in the middle and bottom table zone. The big strengh of PL are the teams between 2nd and 6th place. This is the core of PL strengh. The Bundesliga isn t weaker in middle and bottom zone and 1st place. Remember! The PL has extremly more money in circulation.The effectivity is bad!

I think the BPL is second mainly for the fact that the top 6 is so competitive. No other league has 6 teams fighting for 4 spots as regularly as the BPL. Obviously the top talent isn’t the same as it is in Spain, Germany, or France as they all have teams better than teams from England except for maybe City.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The EPL sucks. I say that as a United fan. It’s boring. The money is so huge now nearly every team plays just not to lose. It’s evident every week.

Huh? This was the best EPL season in ages. Pepchester were an absolute delight to watch & Kloppo's boys were fun to. This was a lot more entertaining than watch the glut mediocre "contenders" that have ruled the EPL, basically, since Ferguson retired.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
If we are talking just financially, is MLS up there?
The MLS market value is 458 Million! In Europe they would be behind 11th(Turkish League). And the average market value of MLS/Player(c.a 720 Tsd) is comparing with austrian League(790 Tsd).

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Huh? This was the best EPL season in ages. Pepchester were an absolute delight to watch & Kloppo's boys were fun to. This was a lot more entertaining than watch the glut mediocre "contenders" that have ruled the EPL, basically, since Ferguson retired.

I meant overall, in response to the EPL is the GOAT posts.

There was some quality at the top this year, but the depth of the league sucks. Outside the top 6 everyone plays for draws. The monetary difference between finishing 9th and 14th is such that clubs don't just go for it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One can just be selective like @Jussi is and look at how many different champions La Liga and the Premiership have had respectively since 99-00 and they'd see the answer is the same. However apparently the wins of Depor, Valencia and Atleti were "cock ups" but the win of Leicester City was not.

Tottenham and Liverpool are way more credible title candidates than Deportivo or Valencia, 1999/00 is quite frankly irrelevant today.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Tottenham and Liverpool are way more credible title candidates than Deportivo or Valencia, 1999/00 is quite frankly irrelevant today.

By the same token the 07-08 CL is irrelevant today as regards the discussion and which I was very obviously addressing, but don't let that get in your way. Oh, and the respective 17-18 league tables say otherwise re: Valencia.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Liverpool is the 2nd best EPL team right now... your comparing them to Deportivo?

Man city
Liverpool
Manu
Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal

vs

Barca
Madrid
Atleti
Sevilla
Valencia
Villareal

Barca > City
Real > Pool
Atleti>Manu
Sevilla>Spurs
Chelsea>Valencia
Villareal>Arsenal

1 out of 6 ain't bad.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
By the same token the 07-08 CL is irrelevant today as regards the discussion and which I was very obviously addressing, but don't let that get in your way. Oh, and the respective 17-18 league tables say otherwise re: Valencia.

Valencia had zero chance of winning the league. Finishing 4th is not a shame, but there was no way they could have got 21 points more.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I meant overall, in response to the EPL is the GOAT posts.

There was some quality at the top this year, but the depth of the league sucks. Outside the top 6 everyone plays for draws. The monetary difference between finishing 9th and 14th is such that clubs don't just go for it.

But that's not new. The EPL's depth has been trash for a decade. There being some teams at the top that are worth watching is new, however.

The EPL is obviously not on par with La Liga, but it's the most interesting it's been in years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yet Spurs and Liverpool could have made up 23 and 25 points when in actual fact they did not?

Not this season, but another season sure. Both of them have recently achieved 86-point seasons which is very close to what it usually takes to win the title.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not this season, but another season sure. Both of them have recently achieved 86-point seasons which is very close to what it usually takes to win the title.

Oh, I see. So another season in the future. That's more relevant than 99/00 I suppose. Not to mention 86 points being apparently close when the bar is currently set at 100 points.

Reactions: cgf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even 90-point seasons are rare in England, the last nine seasons 86 points each would have won four titles.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Even 90-point seasons are rare in England, the last nine seasons 86 points each would have won four titles.

Yeah, and last season it was 100 points, so it's not the last nine seasons. To go down your road regarding the remaining eight seasons, yet I'll actually do it in the proper context, they aren't relevant. Furthermore, even if they are, that still doesn't leave Liverpool or Spurs of last season in the league at title contenders.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Of course they are relevant, it's a tightly contested league that even a club like Leicester City can win.

In Spain Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid have been the top 3 now for six seasons in a row, with Barcelona and Real Madrid taking the top two positions 11 of the last 14 seasons.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Of course they are relevant, it's a tightly contested league that even a club like Leicester City can win.

In Spain Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid have been the top 3 now for six seasons in a row, with Barcelona and Real Madrid taking the top two positions 11 of the last 14 seasons.

It was a tightly contested league. It's not anymore.

:laugh: So now the last 14 seasons of La Liga are relevant but the last 18-19 aren't?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Because one team had an exceptionally good season? Manchester City finished third the season before, and fourth the season before that. Next season the title race is completely open again.

And no, 1990s La Liga seasons aren't relevant anymore. It's a league of 2.5 contending teams today.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes, and because apart from maybe one other side no one else looks like contending. The landscape of the league changed a lot last season and there is little to suggest at this stage that it will look vastly different next season.

Yet early 00s is relevant? You can keep changing the goalposts all you want. It's quite amusing, as was your actually using Leicester City to make your point much less referring to Atleti as only half a team by comparison, but I'm not wasting anymore time on this. You replied to my post either not understanding or ignoring the context, I quite honestly can't tell which it is, and then proceeded to keep changing the criteria of what is or is not relevant.

Last edited:

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
In general we must to regard all tiers by a league. Top, middle and bottom tier. This are all standards we must regard this.
Traditional has the south european leagues a better top tier(ESP,ITA) and Bundesliga and PL a better middle and bottom tier. But in current time it is more difficult so estimate this leagues.
Serie A hasn t so much Top teams. PL has more high level teams but not a "Superclub" like Real,Barca or Bayern. Bundesliga has a Superclub but the high level between 2nd and 6th place are not so good now. But in middle and bottom tier very strong etc..

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
There are 3 tiers of first Division Soccer in the world. You can pretty interchange teams in each tier depending on the year. I don't pay attention or lend credibility to any person that rates leagues like the Danish, Swedish or Swiss league in any of these tiers. If you truly are a viewer of world soccer and just don't watch your favorite one or two leagues you'd know how legit this list is. If I were to expand the list to 4 tiers they'd mostly be filled with South American leagues with the exception of a spot for the Chinese Super League. The
Also here is a link of the top scoccer leagues in the World Financially as of this year. That's what really is important as it shows the money certain leagues have to grow.
List of professional sports leagues by revenue - Wikipedia

Top 15 leagues

Tier 1
La Liga
EPL
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1

Tier 2
Brazilian
Portuguese
Turkish