Top 10 drafted defensemen in WHL

zeus3007*

Why is anyone arguing over the ranking of this list. I don't think anyone runs away with the number one, and any of these boys could end up impact d-men in the NHL.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Cowen vs. McNab

In answer to previous post about Cowen putting up big numbers for a big guy....

McNab is 6'4" 218lbs
Cowen is 6'5" 220lbs

McNab's #'s: 48pts
Cowen's #'s: 31pts

.... I'd say the last time someone put up numbers like Cowen is, well, McNab...
Any way you slice it, both big guys with lots to offer and you're right Min. of Offence, they will both compliment a more speedier defence partner. My opinion, McNab seems to be more adaptable and eager. He'll shine in Buffalo when opportunity presents itself.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
In answer to previous post about Cowen putting up big numbers for a big guy....

McNab is 6'4" 218lbs
Cowen is 6'5" 220lbs

McNab's #'s: 48pts
Cowen's #'s: 31pts

.... I'd say the last time someone put up numbers like Cowen is, well, McNab...
Any way you slice it, both big guys with lots to offer and you're right Min. of Offence, they will both compliment a more speedier defence partner. My opinion, McNab seems to be more adaptable and eager. He'll shine in Buffalo when opportunity presents itself.

Cowen said during the WJC that he's up to 235.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Cowen said during the WJC that he's up to 235.

..... And I'm sure if you asked McNab he'd be up around 230lbs.

Doesn't matter, both big and strong, some like one some the other. I just personally think Cowen receives too much hype. I also don't think it's fair to write off anyone over poor performance at WJHC either.... BUT it's been questionable performance last year and some shakey moments at this years that have some people scratching their heads. Can't put too much stock in one tournament.

In either case it'll be performance with the big club over the long haul that proves whose got the longevity and the moxy...

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
..... And I'm sure if you asked McNab he'd be up around 230lbs.

Doesn't matter, both big and strong, some like one some the other. I just personally think Cowen receives too much hype. I also don't think it's fair to write off anyone over poor performance at WJHC either.... BUT it's been questionable performance last year and some shakey moments at this years that have some people scratching their heads. Can't put too much stock in one tournament.

In either case it'll be performance with the big club over the long haul that proves whose got the longevity and the moxy...

Having watched them both play one does look clearly bigger than the other...

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Hello all, new to HF Boards, excellent dialogue....

Saw the rankings and had to jump in on this one. While I agree with the bottom five the top 1/2 listed need a shuffling. Cowen is over rated here. Judging by his numbers to date +27 & 31 points they sound impressive but Elliott's current numbers of +40 & 56 points are far more impressive. McNab's numbers continue to get better every year and he's sitting at +17 and 48 points right now. Personally I find Cowen to be the least mobile of the top five and he struggled two years in a row at critical points in WJHC. Elliott's a clutch player for sure and a consistent producer. McNab, in my opinion, should have made Team Canada this year. At 6'4" he's just as impressive physically as Cowen and was a far better fit to the make up of this years squad.

1. Barrie
2. Elliott
3. McNab
4. Ponich
5. Cowen

watch hockey, dont read numbers.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Avs fan here:

SUCK IT!!

Love Avs fan

(please let me have this; its been so long since we've had decent prospects :cry:!!)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Avs fan here:

SUCK IT!!

Love Avs fan

(please let me have this; its been so long since we've had decent prospects :cry:!!)

Yeah, Duchene, Stewart, O'Reilly, Shattenkirk, Wilson, Galiardi, Statsny are so far back I can barely remember who those guys are.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Yeah, Duchene, Stewart, O'Reilly, Shattenkirk, Wilson, Galiardi, Statsny are so far back I can barely remember who those guys are.

The team always traded their draft picks. Besides Duchene no one else mentioned were even considered to be that great of a prospect.

Stewart was a 7.5C and rarely ever mentioned; in fact when his first demotion came last year many Avs thought of him as a bust already. Stastny was never thought of being better than Wolski; even in his rookie year where he outproduced many thought it was just a hot steak and that he needed more development, Gali as well as RoR were unknown (most avs fans also hated the RoR pick), Wilson was received from Flames as part of a trade and wasn't even thought to be a NHL dman (we still get thread poping up wondering how he's in the NHL at times), etc.

Only shatty got a lot of hype on that list from what I could tell (beside Duchene).

Also besides the team's horrible year in 09 and you take out Duchene/RoR that list had players that don't seem like they'd be top 10 in much. (Shatty wasn't even in top 50 for HF prospects last year).

Sorry gotta stroke that ego. ;)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Having watched them both play one does look clearly bigger than the other...

Not really... the difference is negligible when they are wearing equipment. They literally look the exact same size. Don't know when you would have had a chance to watch both of them play in a relatively close timeframe recently if you are from Ottawa...

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
St. Louis Blues fan here. I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion or some insight on Ponich? I know he's the captain on a damn good Portland team and that he's huge and is a defensive defenseman. Does he skate well enough to make it in the NHL, he has the size but other than that I don't know much about him. Can he be an effective NHL player or is he a career ahler. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
But the more important question is this, can Dylan McIlrath beat up everyone else on the list? :sarcasm:

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
St. Louis Blues fan here. I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion or some insight on Ponich? I know he's the captain on a damn good Portland team and that he's huge and is a defensive defenseman. Does he skate well enough to make it in the NHL, he has the size but other than that I don't know much about him. Can he be an effective NHL player or is he a career ahler. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's been a while since Portland has had a quality team... I mean depth. Ponich is another big D man. Some big players have akward skating and have to work hard at improving it. Ponich falls into that category but from what I can see has made great 'strides' (sorry).... Definitely has the size, doesn't lose many puck battles down low, troubles with decision making at times but he has all the makings of a big, big NHL D man. Gotta remember he's still growing into that frame. Chara was no different. Not trying to make a comparison but size wise, hard not to.

He's a stay at home D. Find him an offensive minded partner and he'd compliment most teams.

Kenny Bania

Thats gold Jerry!
Jun 4, 2010
Hello all, new to HF Boards, excellent dialogue....

Saw the rankings and had to jump in on this one. While I agree with the bottom five the top 1/2 listed need a shuffling. Cowen is over rated here. Judging by his numbers to date +27 & 31 points they sound impressive but Elliott's current numbers of +40 & 56 points are far more impressive. McNab's numbers continue to get better every year and he's sitting at +17 and 48 points right now. Personally I find Cowen to be the least mobile of the top five and he struggled two years in a row at critical points in WJHC. Elliott's a clutch player for sure and a consistent producer. McNab, in my opinion, should have made Team Canada this year. At 6'4" he's just as impressive physically as Cowen and was a far better fit to the make up of this years squad.

1. Barrie
2. Elliott
3. McNab
4. Ponich
5. Cowen

If you are going to compare Cowen's numbers to Elliott's, might want to mention the fact that Elliott has played 13 more games.

A little perspective never hurts once in a while.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
But the more important question is this, can Dylan McIlrath beat up everyone else on the list? :sarcasm:

I don't know... Bulky guy who likes to mix it up.... Some big contenders on the list though...

On a completely unrelated note I see Derek Pouliot is doing well in Portland. Good numbers for a 17 year old.

I saw him back in bantam with Weyburn AA in a prov. game against Warman. He was shoulders above even with Warman trying to shadow him the whole game.

He'll do good things over the next few years.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
If you are going to compare Cowen's numbers to Elliott's, might want to mention the fact that Elliott has played 13 more games.

A little perspective never hurts once in a while.

Yep.... Sure.

It's all perspective. Barrie only played 32 games and has 40 points, same thing I guess. Can't argue though that Elliott is doing very well.

Ponich is out. Torn ACL, going in for surgery this week. He could be out for the season. Big blow.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
And yes, McIlrath could absolutely beat all those other players up. He is probably the best fighter in the dub.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I think it's been a while since Portland has had a quality team... I mean depth. Ponich is another big D man. Some big players have akward skating and have to work hard at improving it. Ponich falls into that category but from what I can see has made great 'strides' (sorry).... Definitely has the size, doesn't lose many puck battles down low, troubles with decision making at times but he has all the makings of a big, big NHL D man. Gotta remember he's still growing into that frame. Chara was no different. Not trying to make a comparison but size wise, hard not to.

He's a stay at home D. Find him an offensive minded partner and he'd compliment most teams.

Thanks for the info!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Keep perspective

1. This is a list by Hockey's Future, so you need to take it with a grain of salt. Better yet - A salt-lick.
  2. I sure hope for the rangers sake that in the future NHL fighting counts on the scorebard. How about that McIlrath pick given who was on the board when they took him? :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad