Top 10 drafted defensemen in WHL

Chrass

Sep 19, 2006
Surprised that the guy who's most NHL ready isn't first. We'll see how Barrie does in the NHL. Cowen is a lock with his size, but his offensive numbers this year are very impressive for someone being called the best shutdown D in the WHL and arguably the entire CHL.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
:amazed:The Flyers have a prospect on some sort of top 10 list?

Coincidental Minors

May 16, 2007
In your kitchen
Surprised that the guy who's most NHL ready isn't first. We'll see how Barrie does in the NHL. Cowen is a lock with his size, but his offensive numbers this year are very impressive for someone being called the best shutdown D in the WHL and arguably the entire CHL.

Cowen acts like he doesn't want to be in Spokane. Fans there don't want him to be Captain. He's just biding his time till he gets out. Barrie is a lights out player in the dub. Ponich, even before the injury wasn't that immpressive.

The Perfect Human*

Has Petrovic really been better than Marincin thus far? I know Petrovic has had a solid year, but Marincin's been dominating on a horrible PGC team - it just seems like he's contributed so much more. I guess that's just my Oilers bias talking...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Has Petrovic really been better than Marincin thus far? I know Petrovic has had a solid year, but Marincin's been dominating on a horrible PGC team - it just seems like he's contributed so much more. I guess that's just my Oilers bias talking...

Petrovic is a very very very good two way defender. It's close between the two, but I bet it's pretty even between these two if NHL GM's were picking which one they liked more.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like the list, for the most part...I would re order it a bit...like this:

1. Tyson Barrie Kelowna Rockets (COL)
2. Jared Cowen, Spokane Chiefs (OTT)
3. Stefan Elliott, Saskatoon Blades (COL)
4. Brayden McNabb, Kootenay Ice (BUF)
5. Alexander Petrovic, Red Deer Rebels (FLA)
6. Martin Marincin, Prince George Cougars (EDM)
7. Matt MacKenzie, Tri City Americans (BUF)
8. Brett Ponich, Portland Winterhawks (STL)
9. Brandon Manning, Chilliwack Bruins (PHI)
10. Dylan McIlrath, Moose Jaw Warriors (NYR)

But I am a huge MacKenzie fan, and I actually think he could be top 5 ahead of Petrovic or Marincin. He's a GREAT player.

Hyperkookeez*

Did the Hitmen even win a game without Mackenzie in the lineup? :sarcasm: :laugh:

It's too bad the Flames didn't draft him :shakehead

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Top 10 Shuffle

Hello all, new to HF Boards, excellent dialogue....

Saw the rankings and had to jump in on this one. While I agree with the bottom five the top 1/2 listed need a shuffling. Cowen is over rated here. Judging by his numbers to date +27 & 31 points they sound impressive but Elliott's current numbers of +40 & 56 points are far more impressive. McNab's numbers continue to get better every year and he's sitting at +17 and 48 points right now. Personally I find Cowen to be the least mobile of the top five and he struggled two years in a row at critical points in WJHC. Elliott's a clutch player for sure and a consistent producer. McNab, in my opinion, should have made Team Canada this year. At 6'4" he's just as impressive physically as Cowen and was a far better fit to the make up of this years squad.

1. Barrie
2. Elliott
3. McNab
4. Ponich
5. Cowen

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Saw the rankings and had to jump in on this one. While I agree with the bottom five the top 1/2 listed need a shuffling. Cowen is over rated here. Judging by his numbers to date +27 & 31 points they sound impressive but Elliott's current numbers of +40 & 56 points are far more impressive. McNab's numbers continue to get better every year and he's sitting at +17 and 48 points right now. Personally I find Cowen to be the least mobile of the top five and he struggled two years in a row at critical points in WJHC. Elliott's a clutch player for sure and a consistent producer. McNab, in my opinion, should have made Team Canada this year. At 6'4" he's just as impressive physically as Cowen and was a far better fit to the make up of this years squad.

1. Barrie
2. Elliott
3. McNab
4. Ponich
5. Cowen

Elliott gives up 4 inches and 35-40 pounds to Cowen, whens the last time a Dman that big put up numbers like Cowen has? The time I saw McNabb he reminded me of Cowen LAST year.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Elliott gives up 4" and 30 lbs according to stats.... I agree he gives up something but he's consistent, more mobility.

I think McNab's finally finding his game and his numbers have consistently come up.

Make no mistake they'll all end up playing I just think Cowen comes in over rated for what he's shown in clutch games. I've heard Spokane fans aren't impressed (?)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

1. Barrie
2. Elliott
3. McNab
4. Ponich
5. Cowen

Spokane doesn't have the team the Blades do. Cowen is a big reason why the Chiefs have played so well. The guy is about as dominant a WHL defenseman I have seen play in the WHL.

Barrie is far far over rated. Yes great WHL D man but over Cowen or Elliot or Mcnabb? No. He actually slides in better at number 4. Ponich while good is not all world good either. Marancin and Petrovic are much better overall in my opinion. One guy that is really underated is McKenzie. The guy is an amazing D in the WHL.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Elliott gives up 4" and 30 lbs according to stats.... I agree he gives up something but he's consistent, more mobility.

I think McNab's finally finding his game and his numbers have consistently come up.

Make no mistake they'll all end up playing I just think Cowen comes in over rated for what he's shown in clutch games. I've heard Spokane fans aren't impressed (?)

Spokane fans have never been impressed dating back to the days his parents didn't want Spokane to pick him 1st overall in the bantam draft because they didn't want him playing so far away from Sask. Problem is you've probably only seen him play in two situations you call "clutch" one being in his first WJC where he shouldn't have been there as his knee was obviously not good enough and one time last year when the whole team got burnt by the Russians in the 3rd period.

Cowen's probably fairly rated around here, nobody talks about him. It's not to often you see a 19 year old at his size taking on key roles in the WJC...whether you think one period dismisses that or not, I don't care. The last time a defensemen around his size put up significant numbers in the dub was probably Shea Weber (I'm talking being over 225-230 pounds....does that mean he's going to be Shea Weber? No. But I believe there's a good chance that he becomes a mobile 6'5.5 250 pound rock that can perfectly compliment a 6 foot 185 offensive dynamo on a top pairing in Ottawa.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Tough call. Elliott only has a couple inches on Barrie and relatively even poundage. Barrie was sidelined with his hamstring injury and only played 32 games thus far as opposed to Elliott's 50.... Barrie's got 40 pts in his return so who knows where he'd be if he was in all games + he's the dub's defencemen of the year last year...

I think Elliott flew under the radar for a while. Very heads up, smart offensively minded but defensively responsible. Great first pass. Excellent vision.... I've seen Elliott more than Barrie but the reports on Barrie say he's ready.

Barrie works hard and has improved his skating which was a knock before.

I believe Elliott is the better of the two. Both play like a Brian Rafalski or a Mathieu Schneider. If the Blades pushed further last year in playoffs I think Elliott would have got more clout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad