Top 10 defensemen since 2005 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Through the dog days of summer I figured I would help past the time by making these series of polls. 2005 seems like the best place to start as it was the beginning of the new NHL.

Couple of notes on how to vote and on who to suggest to add:
1) A player must of played at least one full season with the Leafs.
2) Please try to judge the players based on their play with the Leafs only.

Tell me who to add next.

Polls will run for 2 days.

The winner of poll #1, Tomas Kaberle

1kabby.jpg

1) Tomas Kaberle

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
This one here is Bryan McCabe fairly easily imo. He produced more than haneuf during his time here, played more minutes as a #1 defensemen should, and played more shorthanded than Phaneuf during his time here.

So I ask you HF, what does Phaneuf excel at that makes him better than McCabe?

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
McCabe regressed big time in a short period of time. I can clearly remember him disappointing me greatly from his fall from grace.

Phaneuf is my vote for the more important player

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kaberle gets the slight edge over McCabe.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Mccabe. Phaneuf better not put one in his own net. It was the beginning of the end for McCabe.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
diceman:
You posted this in the 1st edition of this thread:

Look at Salming as an example and tell me that he played with any top D man....he was a true #1 and had no support, he made his partner better and his team better.

Have you really never heard of Ian Turnbull? Here's a link for you that lists Salming/Turnbull as the 13th greatest defensive pairing of all-time. I'm not saying that should be considered to be the last word on the subject but if you think Salming had no help you're way off.

http://sportsbin.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=3207

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
diceman:
You posted this in the 1st edition of this thread:

Look at Salming as an example and tell me that he played with any top D man....he was a true #1 and had no support, he made his partner better and his team better.

Have you really never heard of Ian Turnbull? Here's a link for you that lists Salming/Turnbull as the 13th greatest defensive pairing of all-time. I'm not saying that should be considered to be the last word on the subject but if you think Salming had no help you're way off.

http://sportsbin.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=3207

Salming was also a HOF Defenseman. Pretty dumb to use him as a comparison to Phanuef.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Salming was also a HOF Defenseman. Pretty dumb to use him as a comparison to Phanuef.

Yeah even dumber to say he had no support. For that don't know of Turnbull, here's a few words from wiki:

Turnbull played 628 career NHL games, scoring 123 goals and 317 assists for 440 points. In his best offensive season, (1976–77 while with the Maple Leafs), he set career highs with 22 goals, 57 assists, 79 points, and a +47 plus/minus rating. The 79 points represent a Maple Leaf team record for most points in a season by a defenceman. This team record still stands over 30 years later.

Now Turnbull was no Salming but he was a very good player, certainly much better than anyone Phaneuf has had as a partner.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
McCabe had two outstanding seasons right after the lockout, then was run out of town the third season.

Although Phaneuf will probably never reach those kind of numbers again, he's still more important then two seasons of McCabe

hockeyfanz*

Yeah even dumber to say he had no support. For that don't know of Turnbull, here's a few words from wiki:

Turnbull played 628 career NHL games, scoring 123 goals and 317 assists for 440 points. In his best offensive season, (1976–77 while with the Maple Leafs), he set career highs with 22 goals, 57 assists, 79 points, and a +47 plus/minus rating. The 79 points represent a Maple Leaf team record for most points in a season by a defenceman. This team record still stands over 30 years later.

Now Turnbull was no Salming but he was a very good player, certainly much better than anyone Phaneuf has had as a partner.

Well I watched that tandem play...its when I started watching the Leafs. Ian Turnbull was a very offensive minded defenseman. I don't recall him ever making Salming better. IF anything it was the other way around. You guys are really reaching here. Put Ian Turnbull at his prime with Dion Phanuef and you would have a disaster.
Phanuef would have to cover Turnbull's a$$ big time as Ian was nothing special defensively.

Borje Salming excelled at both ends of the ice. He was a gifted offensive D and I've never witnessed a D on the Leafs since him as good as him defensively.

I hope to god that nobody is actually suggesting Phanuef should be compared to Salming.

If you are comparing Turnbull to Phanuef then yes Ian had a stud to play D with..perhaps thats what Phanuef needs...a Borje Salming. Of course probably Brett Lebda would have looked good beside the great Salming.

Get your facts straight.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Playing defense. God I'm gonna love hearing the same people that bash Phaneuf defend McCabe. I bet it was the very same people that ran McCabe out of town that are trying to railroad Dion, so this will be fun.

Phaneuf can't play defense. Standing in front of your net watching your partner work like a dog isn't playing defense in any way, shape, or form. Especially when you get manhandled like he did against Alex Steen this past season.

McCabe couldn't really play defense either, but he was a superior point producer and capable of logging huge minutes for his team. Something Phaneuf isn't capable of doing without becoming a liability out there.

Phaneuf is gonna win this one handily on reputation alone, not based on his on ice play or even stats.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Phaneuf can't play defense. Standing in front of your net watching your partner work like a dog isn't playing defense in any way, shape, or form. Especially when you get manhandled like he did against Alex Steen this past season.

McCabe couldn't really play defense either, but he was a superior point producer and capable of logging huge minutes for his team. Something Phaneuf isn't capable of doing without becoming a liability out there.

Phaneuf is gonna win this one handily on reputation alone, not based on his on ice play or even stats.

Or the most people vote for him.

Maybe your opinion isn't correct?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well I watched that tandem play...its when I started watching the Leafs. Ian Turnbull was a very offensive minded defenseman. I don't recall him ever making Salming better. IF anything it was the other way around. You guys are really reaching here. Put Ian Turnbull at his prime with Dion Phanuef and you would have a disaster.
Phanuef would have to cover Turnbull's a$$ big time as Ian was nothing special defensively.

Borje Salming excelled at both ends of the ice. He was a gifted offensive D and I've never witnessed a D on the Leafs since him as good as him defensively.

I hope to god that nobody is actually suggesting Phanuef should be compared to Salming.

If you are comparing Turnbull to Phanuef then yes Ian had a stud to play D with..perhaps thats what Phanuef needs...a Borje Salming. Of course probably Brett Lebda would have looked good beside the great Salming.

Get your facts straight.

No offence but you completely missed the point. I merely pointed out that Turnbull was a good player, and a good partner for Salming. Therefore the claim that Salming never had any support is false.

You say Turnbull never made Salming look better? Salming certainly looked better with Turnbull then he would have had he had some plug to play with.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This one here is Bryan McCabe fairly easily imo. He produced more than haneuf during his time here, played more minutes as a #1 defensemen should, and played more shorthanded than Phaneuf during his time here.

So I ask you HF, what does Phaneuf excel at that makes him better than McCabe?

Having a prime Kaberle at his side helps a little. Plus a team of veterans and players that don't need to "develop" their defensive game. I think we're wasting Phaneuf's prime years and when we do become competitive, he will be nothing more than a #3-4 defenseman.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He had 28:17 in 05-06, 26:49 in 06-07, and 25:55 in 07-08. So at an older age he could actually play more than our younger captain.

Interesting. So because he's leaned on more, he's more capable. Or maybe it was because our defense depth was an abomination?

2005-2006(Top 4 TOI after McCabe and Kaberle)
Ken Klee
Ian White
Jay Harrison
Luke Richardson

2006-2007(Top 4 TOI after McCabe and Kaberle)
Pavel Kubina
Hal Gill
Ian White
Carlo Colaiacovo

2007-2008(Top 4 TOI after McCabe and Kaberle)
Pavel Kubina
Hal Gill
Ian White
Carlo Colaiacovo

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Phaneuf is probably a better player at the end of the day, but he hasn't had anything like that monster season McCabe had in '05-'06. I think I have to go with McCabe based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad