Post-Game Talk: Too Bad McDavid Didn't Show Up... Kadri Did Though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why was Komarov out there to start the OT though? Yikes.

He and Kadri played against McDavid all night

Seriously though, where do you put Bozak and JVR right now? Throw JVR with Matthews and Nylander, have Bozak with Hyman and Marner?

All we talked about on the drive home. Couldn't come up with any combinations that made sense.

Matthews has really not been good btw. He's been okay. For all the build up about Matthews vs McDavid, they were both nonfactors.

Matthews and Nylander were very good last night.

JVR Nylander Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Soshnikov Matthews Hyman
Martin Bozak Griffith

Bad combination, no one to retrieve the puck.

I tend to agree and think the Hymen hate is largely unwarranted. Matthews and Nylander already create a ton of chances by themselves, a lot of them are because of the space Hymen creates for them. He's great at puck retrieval down low and in the corners, and he draws a lot of attention when does win puck battles down low.

No need to hate Hymen but he isn't skilled enough to play with those two.

JVR should be embarrased with how hes played so far. He's been much worse than Bozak imo. Plays soft all over the ice and has no sense of urgency.

IMO, JVR is the worst forward on the Team right now. Something is not right with him. They need to find a way to get Marner away from him, it's breaking his spirit.

Yup. Trade him for a young RHD like Tanev ASAP

:laugh: why would the Canucks consider that at all?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Wondering what kind of value Gardiner has..... I know he is an advanced stats sweetheart, but he almost cost the Leafs the game. What he was thinking on that play with Andersen.....? I know it's lack of communication there, but he looked lost.

re: Bozak - he's a very good faceoff guy, and seems like a good player to use on the PK - but 5v5 I am starting to question his fit on this team.

Gardiner doesn't have much value. Bottom pairing player that always leaves you wanting more. Liability if he isn't carrying the puck. No one will give up a high end asset for him. He is still viewed as having more potential, but with the top end of a second pairing player. He plays far too soft for most teams to want him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
A quiet 8 pts in 10 games for kadri. What up haters? Now teams around the NHL have a textbook example on how to play mcdavid.

wow very quiet. He has had 2-3 really good shutdown games and 2 bad ones. Shutting down Mcdavid completely last night was a thing of beauty textbook, and Rielly and Zaitsev deserve credit too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
IMO, JVR is the worst forward on the Team right now. Something is not right with him. They need to find a way to get Marner away from him, it's breaking his spirit.

Maybe give Jon van Riemsdyk a few games :sarcasm:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
A quiet 8 pts in 10 games for kadri. What up haters? Now teams around the NHL have a textbook example on how to play mcdavid.

What Kadri did is only possible for 41 games. It's going to be a lot harder to contain McDavid when he's at home getting the favourable matchups. You better pray Hunwick and Polak aren't playing in that game because he's not going to be playing against Kadri, it will be Bozak, he won't be playing against Rielly and Zaitsev, it will be Hunny and Polak.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What Kadri did is only possible for 41 games. It's going to be a lot harder to contain McDavid when he's at home getting the favourable matchups. You better pray Hunwick and Polak aren't playing in that game because he's not going to be playing against Kadri, it will be Bozak, he won't be playing against Rielly and Zaitsev, it will be Hunny and Polak.

that is out of Kadri's control though, and really it means he is good at what he does if other teams are trying to avoid him at home. So it is what it is on the road but he was fantastic last night at home I hope he keeps it up

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
sportsnet kept calling him john in the first game of the season. just another blemish on their already pathetic production

yeah Garry Gally? is that his name? kind of sounds like Jason Sudekis from SNL a few years back. He was calling him John Van Reimsdyk so much, you would think someone would get in his ear and tell him that is not his name, but no whole game against the sens. That guy always does sens games.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Good points from you and will13. I like the Marincin-Gunnarsson comparison. Gunnarsson was on the top pair with Phaneuf, and that was too much to ask. Marincin above the 3rd pair is also too much. Could form a future solid 3rd pair with Carrick if expansion doesn't intervene, but could also be replaced eventually by one of our prospects.

If Marincin gets beat out by Loov or Nielsen or Dermott, they are gonna make very decent NHL D men.

he still has a good way to go imo before he's as effective and consistent as gunnarsson, although I guess both players dont have any standout qualities and have a cerebral type of presence. I think we could do a better job easing him into the lineup rather than handing him over 21 minutes a night if the plan is to mold him into a gunnarsson type though. if there is a long term plan for him, management will have to make some decisions on our roster, particularly on defense, since Nielsen and Dermott are knocking on the door making an immediate impact with the marlies.

Babs doesn't just gift minutes. He's getting them because Babs likes what he sees. And so do I.

Being invisible is great for Marincin. I only saw the 3rd and OT last night and I'd say that's mostly what Marincin is when he's getting the job done. My issue with Marincin is that unlike Gunnarsson, he doesn't appear to be effortlessly steady. He often seems to be just barely getting the job done like the slightest slip in his play whether due to injury or an off night makes him appear to be a defenseman on the ropes.

He's still developing. It'll come.

I see different out there. Gunnarsson was much better. Marincin is not far from worthless, he is very close to it IMO. We gotta get him outta here.

No, Gunnarsson wasn't MUCH better, especially early on in his career once he saw regular NHL minutes. The Gunnarsson you remember in the couple seasons leading to the trade for Polak was a developed Gunnarsson.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Marincin gets beat out by Loov or Nielsen or Dermott, they are gonna make very decent NHL D men.

I might replace Loov with Valiev (higher upside IMO), but I definitely agree. We're in really good shape if one of them is even more than just an upgrade on Marincin too.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
This is what I was thinking all night.

Swap Hyman and Soch
Swap Brownie and Marner

Soch Matthews Willy
JVR Bozak Brown
Komorov Kadri Marner
Hyman ....... Martin

I ****ing love those forward, going..... forward

how about

willy Matthews marner
kom kadri sosh
jvr bozak brown
hyman griffeth smith

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes. This.

It's funny, listening to the radio last night, the commentators and the phone callers were all praising Hyman as the unsung hero who makes the space for the other 2 to do their thing. The emphasis was on his board work, tenacity, and puck possession.....not scoring ability.

It's interesting how we subtly influence each others opinions in these little contained communities (including the radio callers influenced by the commentators).

It happens every year.

Leafs fans fall head over heels in love with these grinders and act as if the team would fall apart without them.

I like that Hyman's on the team - he's just being used in the wrong role at the moment

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Sosh-Bozak-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Smith-Komarov

JVR and Kadri have no chemistry, and Kadri is being deployed as a match up guy. I don't think that would be up JVR's alley.

As much as I am a little disappointed with what we have gotten out of Komarov this season, it's realistically where he needs to go (with Kadri) or to the 4th line but god damn that would be an expensive 4th line if Komarov gets demoted to that.

I'd like to see...

JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Hyman
Brown-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Smith-Soshnikov (it ain't broke)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
What did Marincin do to McDavid? I saw the wrestling match, but missed what everyone was in an uproar about. Freekin Marincin:laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Well, we are going see what happens in Thursday's game with Buffalo, I wonder if there will be any more call-ups for the game?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What did Marincin do to McDavid? I saw the wrestling match, but missed what everyone was in an uproar about. Freekin Marincin:laugh:

McDavid was poking Andersen, so Marincin headlocked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad