Post-Game Talk: Too Bad McDavid Didn't Show Up... Kadri Did Though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's like they were saying on the Fan this morning, I'm not sure what Gardiner is. But that could be clouded by overall horrible team defence and continuously rotating D-men

I sincerely believe that his issues all go back to his concussion in the AHL a few years back. Before that incident he was much much better than he is now. i know Jake has top 2 dman in him somewhere but he needs to fix the stupid stupid choices he makes.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Serious question. Is my distatse for Marincin unwarranted? I've given Rielly a lot of slack at the start of this year, mainly because I still see huge upside in him, but Marincin just lacks any tools to be anything more than a bottom pairing defensemen imo, yet he's logging 21 minutes a night. He's not a great skater, panicks with the puck more than anyone on our blueline in the offensive zone, and always seems to turn the puck over when he's being forechecked.

With all that being said though, I feel like he's basically just keeping a spot warm for one of Nielsen or Dermott, which is why I think it may be unwarranted..

Marincin is developing into the new Gunnarsson. He looks like he's invisible all night which is a really good thing considering the minutes he's starting to get.

Yes your disdain is unwarranted.

Most of it was created based on the manner he was acquired.

Edmonton and their wonderful D evaluation skills basically thought he was worthless.

He is far from.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Marincin is developing into the new Gunnarsson. He looks like he's invisible all night which is a really good thing considering the minutes he's starting to get.

Edmonton and their wonderful D evaluation skills basically thought he was worthless.

He is far from.

Good points from you and will13. I like the Marincin-Gunnarsson comparison. Gunnarsson was on the top pair with Phaneuf, and that was too much to ask. Marincin above the 3rd pair is also too much. Could form a future solid 3rd pair with Carrick if expansion doesn't intervene, but could also be replaced eventually by one of our prospects.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Watching the game last night I really think Kessel wasn't the defensive liability on that line. In Pits with Hagelin and Bonino there is no talk about Phil's D game. Both his linemates play good in their own zone.

I noticed Bozak and JVR are terrible in their own zone so soft. They get caught running around because they refuse to pay the price to make a play.

It's those 2 who dragged Phil down lol.

Bozak needs to be moved for a more complete C who plays a 200 foot game like a Martin Hanzel.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Watching the game last night I really think Kessel wasn't the defensive liability on that line. In Pits with Hagelin and Bonino there is no talk about Phil's D game. Both his linemates play good in their own zone.

I noticed Bozak and JVR are terrible in their own zone so soft. They get caught running around because they refuse to pay the price to make a play.

It's those 2 who dragged Phil down lol.

Bozak needs to be moved for a more complete C who plays a 200 foot game like a Martin Hanzel.

they weren't dragging him down it was a line of 3 sub par d forward no he is on a lline with just him as sub par d forward it is not an issue.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

He is far from.

he still has a good way to go imo before he's as effective and consistent as gunnarsson, although I guess both players dont have any standout qualities and have a cerebral type of presence. I think we could do a better job easing him into the lineup rather than handing him over 21 minutes a night if the plan is to mold him into a gunnarsson type though. if there is a long term plan for him, management will have to make some decisions on our roster, particularly on defense, since Nielsen and Dermott are knocking on the door making an immediate impact with the marlies.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Cannot wait until JVR, Bozak and Gardiner are traded. Hopefully that would mean we get a solid young RHD and we call up deserving players like Kapanen, Leipsic and Nielsen.

I truly think this team would be better without Bozak and Gardiner. JVR is just a good trade chip and we should trade him before he loses all value.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Cannot wait until JVR, Bozak and Gardiner are traded. Hopefully that would mean we get a solid young RHD and we call up deserving players like Kapanen, Leipsic and Nielsen.

I truly think this team would be better without Bozak and Gardiner. JVR is just a good trade chip and we should trade him before he loses all value.

this is very important by the deadline if he continues the way he has we will get very little for him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yup. Trade him for a young RHD like Tanev ASAP

I don't think he get get tanev on his own now!. I would do a serious plus with him for a Tanev type dman. RHD with stay at home qualities but can skate he is perfect for our top 4

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If Kadri can carve out the rest of his career as a Bergeron-lite, hell be a dangerous 2 or 3C for us.

Weird how a defensively irresponsible 1 dimensional scoring forward has transformed his career into a great two-way forward. Similar to Yzerman under Bowmen but on a much much smaller scale.

If he can bring this consistently (~45-50 point two-way ) then it gives the Leafs flexibility with Nylander and Marner.

Dating back to last December, Kadri has 44 pts in 60 games. He had the worst slump of his career to start last season but things have corrected themselves.

He is scoring at a 60 pt pace while having mediocre linemates the entire time. Remarkable. Now put him with decent wingers and just imagine what he can do.. (Brown isn't bad at least)

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

JVR has already lost most of his value, he isn't highly regarded around the NHL. They call him the sleepy giant.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
JVR has already lost most of his value, he isn't highly regarded around the NHL. They call him the sleepy giant.

Wondering what kind of value Gardiner has..... I know he is an advanced stats sweetheart, but he almost cost the Leafs the game. What he was thinking on that play with Andersen.....? I know it's lack of communication there, but he looked lost.

re: Bozak - he's a very good faceoff guy, and seems like a good player to use on the PK - but 5v5 I am starting to question his fit on this team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

He is far from.

Being invisible is great for Marincin. I only saw the 3rd and OT last night and I'd say that's mostly what Marincin is when he's getting the job done. My issue with Marincin is that unlike Gunnarsson, he doesn't appear to be effortlessly steady. He often seems to be just barely getting the job done like the slightest slip in his play whether due to injury or an off night makes him appear to be a defenseman on the ropes.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

He is far from.

I see different out there. Gunnarsson was much better. Marincin is not far from worthless, he is very close to it IMO. We gotta get him outta here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
he still has a good way to go imo before he's as effective and consistent as gunnarsson, although I guess both players dont have any standout qualities and have a cerebral type of presence. I think we could do a better job easing him into the lineup rather than handing him over 21 minutes a night if the plan is to mold him into a gunnarsson type though. if there is a long term plan for him, management will have to make some decisions on our roster, particularly on defense, since Nielsen and Dermott are knocking on the door making an immediate impact with the marlies.

I have to agree. Gunnarsson is calmer, smoother skating and a better puck carrier than Marincin. I always thought Gunnarsson was underrated while he was here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Actually been impressed with him this year unlike last year and the year before

Now he's actually producing

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kadri really showed up and was the difference maker.

That was one of the best games he has played as a Leaf.

Edmonton are a little bit ahead of the Leafs in the rebuilding timeline (actually a lot ahead) but they too still suffered the slings and arrows of youth. Kadri used some of his veteran guile to beat probably the future best player in the world.

I'm not sure how the Oilers have so many goals this season, we kept them to the outside basically the entire night.

Kadri and Sosh really had solid games and showed us what they have.

The Leafs have played well in 3 of their last 4 games. There are starting to play better defensively. They haven't had a big 3rd period meltdown, and Andersen has been better in nets.

After watching the game against Montreal, I thought they would be able to string some Ws together if they continued to play that way. They were able to limit the Oliers high powered offense.

Nice win for the Buds. GLG.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
McDavid is such a whiner.

If anything he tried to hold up Kadri with his arm but got out muscled. So sweet.
Keep both hands on your stick McJesus.

:popcorn:

So the one time he goes to complain to a ref all of a sudden makes him a whiner?

umm Ok then.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wondering what kind of value Gardiner has..... I know he is an advanced stats sweetheart, but he almost cost the Leafs the game. What he was thinking on that play with Andersen.....? I know it's lack of communication there, but he looked lost.
Likely confused why his goaltender was behind the net waiting for a puck that wasn't ever going to be playable for him

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
A quiet 8 pts in 10 games for kadri. What up haters? Now teams around the NHL have a textbook example on how to play mcdavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad