Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I'm not disagreeing with that. Just that in order to 50+ points he doesn't need to be one of the greatest offensive defensemen of all time.

...But the last time a NYR defenseman DID do that...he was one of the greatest offensive defensemen of all time (Leetch in 01-02). Just saying.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
You do know that the last time a NYR defenseman broke the 50-point mark it was 2001-2002, right? And most seasons have MAYBE 10 guys break 50 points from the blue line league-wide? If ADA could get close to 50 points, he'd be considered one of the top d-men in the league. He's not. Yet.
25 defenseman have a chance to score 50 points this season. In DeAngelos rookie season he had 14 in 39 on a really bad team. The kid has a chance to be a 50 Point defenseman for sure. Especially if he gets PP1 time.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
25 defenseman have a chance to score 50 points this season. In DeAngelos rookie season he had 14 in 39 on a really bad team. The kid has a chance to be a 50 Point defenseman for sure. Especially if he gets PP1 time.

And 14 points is his career high at this point. Can't we just let the kid develop before we put him on a pedestal that--statistically speaking--he isn't likely to reach? We do this ALL the time with our prospects--ESPECIALLY PMD. We hype them up to what we want them to be, ignore the fact that our expectations are on the lofty side, and then turn against the player for not being the next Brian Leetch. We've been doing it for nearly 20 years now.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
And 14 points is his career high at this point. Can't we just let the kid develop before we put him on a pedestal that--statistically speaking--he isn't likely to reach? We do this ALL the time with our prospects--ESPECIALLY PMD. We hype them up to what we want them to be, ignore the fact that our expectations are on the lofty side, and then turn against the player for not being the next Brian Leetch. We've been doing it for nearly 20 years now.
I’m not saying he has to do it or he is gonna do it. I just wish we’d put him in spots to succeed and spots that will help him reach his potential that he pretty clearly has.

Reactions: smoneil

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA

I think that's fair. DeAngelo is still pretty raw but he does have a lot of potential. It's exciting. As Rangers fans, I think we're all desperate for that special PMD talent that will make an impact on the team for years.

Reactions: smoneil

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
DeAngelo should’ve had the 2nd assist. I complained to the NHL we’ll see if I get a response.
Correcting myself: DeAngelo sent the pass to Holden but it may have been deflected by Zuccarello on the way over, I guess that’s how he gets the 2nd assist.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Usually when we turn on players in similar situations it seems more like MDZ who fails to even approach his own career highs, never improves on D, consistently makes idiotic, boneheaded plays and sucks more often then he plays good.

Although Roszival always got crap which was totally undeserved.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
He looks like he belongs here now. Well at least more so then Kampfer and Holden he had a shit game against the bruins but honestly it didn't look like anyone tried in that game

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone else noticed that Ada always seems to be paired with our worst defenseman AND always seems to be out there almost exclusively with the 4th line? Talk about weird...you've got an offensive defenseman with consistent crap partners getting the worst qot on the team...and he's getting shelled night in and night out.

I'm not saying he's been good the past few games..because he's not been...but I'm also saying his usage has been bizarre...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Has anyone else noticed that Ada always seems to be paired with our worst defenseman AND always seems to be out there almost exclusively with the 4th line? Talk about weird...you've got an offensive defenseman with consistent crap partners getting the worst qot on the team...and he's getting shelled night in and night out.

I'm not saying he's been good the past few games..because he's not been...but I'm also saying his usage has been bizarre...

And he's not on the top PP unit. AV gonna AV right to the end.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Him not being on the top unit (at least with Shattenkirk out) is incredibly stupid because you need a right handed passer to feed Zibanejad

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
ADA is still very much a work in progress. But I don’t feel AV is exactly putting him situations to play to his strengths either.
I feel like his game kinda fell off a cliff the past handful after playing really really well.

hes now getting caught up in the play, taking super short shifts, making higher risk plays that are turnovers, etc. and hes also frequently getting caught puck watching...i think hes being destroyed by the coaching staff...i saw a ton of potential but hes not played well and im pointing the finger right at AV...ADA looked like he had legit #2 dman upside just a few games ago, and now im really worried he'll be outta the organization sometime next year.

Words cannot express my disdain for Vigneault.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no defenseman currently playing has more PPP than DeAngelo...hes got more points than Gilmour and Pionk combined (also worth noting that ADA has 7 points in 21 games since being recalled...1 point in the 8 games before he was sent down.)

has he been EK65? No. But hes been decent...and hes been out and out abused in terms of his partners and his forwards. i swear im only seeing him playing with the 4th line and OGara...i almost never see him with the top forwards. what good is a guy who can skate and make passes if hes playing with guys who have feet for hands?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I feel like his game kinda fell off a cliff the past handful after playing really really well.

hes now getting caught up in the play, taking super short shifts, making higher risk plays that are turnovers, etc. and hes also frequently getting caught puck watching...i think hes being destroyed by the coaching staff...i saw a ton of potential but hes not played well and im pointing the finger right at AV...ADA looked like he had legit #2 dman upside just a few games ago, and now im really worried he'll be outta the organization sometime next year.

Words cannot express my disdain for Vigneault.

Hopefully, ADA gets a clean slate under the new coaching regime

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

AV gonna AV

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I really don't get any of the hate, tbf it seems to have boiled down a bit though.

My eye-test has me in love with ADA. The kid's skating and puckhandling are like a symphony to me. Controlled, smooth, effortless, beautiful.
He's the main reason we don't need to target guys like Boqvist that are pure offensive RHD. We have that guy in ADA.
Get us a new coach, a new system, pray they aren't mentally handicapped and you'll see ADA playing more effetive minutes, with players he can work with.

AV remains the only constant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad