Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Yeah, shut up, Boomer. But what is Tony D talking about? He never played with Tampa.

Not yet

giphy.gif

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
The idea that he is reading the social media stuff and publicly responding to a guy like Boomer is a huge red flag to me. This dude will be problems until he leaves town.

I personally don't think ADA is particularly good, but this is completely unfair. All that matters is what he does on the ice and replying to a few social media posts shouldn't have any impact on that.There might be flags in his past, but this isn't one.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I personally don't think ADA is particularly good, but this is completely unfair. All that matters is what he does on the ice and replying to a few social media posts shouldn't have any impact on that.There might be flags in his past, but this isn't one.
I'm not saying Boomer is right, in fact I think he's wrong. He's in a place where he has a public forum and is not a "civilian" in this. But I don't think I'm being unfair at all to ADA here. Responding publicly, to me, shows poor impulse control. We're working without a filter here. It may only matter what he does on the ice but I believe the response indicates that this is a guy who acts first and thinks second. Boomer is a guy who he legitimately would have a chance to speak to or address through numerous occasions. It's not like he's low profile. ADA could have said something to a senior team member or staff member who could have passed this thought on to Boomer to just be a fan and not call guys out lile this. Instead he pulls his Twitter pistol out and shoots back. Now you're in a gunfight. Personally, I'm not a fan of the kid. I have made no bones about it. In order to be as bad defensively as he is, you have to be automatic offensively and he's just not. It's not like there is a wealth of footage of phenomenal ADA plays where if we just had a finisher its in the net. His risk outweighs his rewards. On top of that he's the guy who is going to do this stuff. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he's an NHL player long term.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm not saying Boomer is right, in fact I think he's wrong. He's in a place where he has a public forum and is not a "civilian" in this. But I don't think I'm being unfair at all to ADA here. Responding publicly, to me, shows poor impulse control. We're working without a filter here. It may only matter what he does on the ice but I believe the response indicates that this is a guy who acts first and thinks second. Boomer is a guy who he legitimately would have a chance to speak to or address through numerous occasions. It's not like he's low profile. ADA could have said something to a senior team member or staff member who could have passed this thought on to Boomer to just be a fan and not call guys out lile this. Instead he pulls his Twitter pistol out and shoots back. Now you're in a gunfight. Personally, I'm not a fan of the kid. I have made no bones about it. In order to be as bad defensively as he is, you have to be automatic offensively and he's just not. It's not like there is a wealth of footage of phenomenal ADA plays where if we just had a finisher its in the net. His risk outweighs his rewards. On top of that he's the guy who is going to do this stuff. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he's an NHL player long term.

I entirely agree with you on the evaluation of his play at any rate :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
ADA right now is just another one of our struggling defensemen. He's certainly not standing out in a good way and he should have a bit of an edge on Pionk, Gilmour and O'Gara. He needs a responsible and very mobile partner to play with. Over 30 games and of his 8 points only two are at even strength. His defense has been very shaky and the offense has just not been there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not a smart move by AOT to respond. The message itself wasn’t bad but let’s say Boomer response now with something more provocative, is he going to engage again?

Boomer is a well established and followed public figure with a side of a very respected pro career. DeAngelo is a struggling rookie (even though there are contributing circumstances). There are plenty of New York Rangers fans who could’ve provided the same message without a need for him to get personally involved.

Reactions: Thirty One

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He shouldn’t have done it. Not smart at all. Boomer is wrong but he’s very good friends with the owner and guys in upper management.

This is an immature impulse that has hurt him in the past. Don’t like it.

Yes he’s talking about the rangers fans in Tampa. Always a ton of them that were there cheering them.

I like ADA a lot. I mean he’s extremely talented. And frankly I think he’s been getting better and better and deserves that spot next to skjei tonight. But he needs to keep his mouth shut and put up pts. Period. If he doesn’t he won’t be here long.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Let them tweet and some plays hockey like DeAngelo, but it`s positive they are engaged which is part of our society. Although, we need an upgrade who are stronger defensive compare to DeAngelo hence why should consider to move him. We need a stronger defensive player part of our future core - at least that`s how I see it at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Red flag for what exactly? Sounds like you severely lack an understanding of what constitutes impulse control and it sounds like you are extremely out of touch with how the significant majority of people use social media. Half the nfl, nba and half the world falls under your definition of a "red flag" and a " lack of impulse control".

Dont like his game? That's fair. But you should learn how to contextualize what a tweet response means. This is the kind of post I'd expect to see if the kid went out, got drunk and snapped pics of himself chugging alcohol. You just reacted to a simple, understandable tweet response as if he was publicly intoxicated. I don't use this term a lot but...laughable.

Exactly what red flags have you seen since he's been here other than a single, solitary, pretty measured and damn good response tweet?

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Red flag for what exactly? Sounds like you severely lack an understanding of what constitutes impulse control and it sounds like you are extremely out of touch with how the significant majority of people use social media. Half the nfl, nba and half the world falls under your definition of a "red flag" and a " lack of impulse control".

With all due respect NHL is different from NBA NFL MLB. Even there a struggling rookie should not engage into a social media back-and-forth with a public figure like Boomer. Bad judgement and definitely lack of an impulse control that was noted previously, especially for someone like DeAngelo who has a history.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
With all due respect NHL is different from NBA NFL MLB. Even there a struggling rookie should not engage into a social media back-and-forth with a public figure like Boomer. Bad judgement and definitely lack of an impulse control that was noted previously, especially for someone like DeAngelo who has a history.

Why not? Bc you decided it? Seriously some of you sound like you're just a hair away from "get off my lawn". Blanket banning twitter responses and acting as if a twitter response is akin to a bender? I get not liking that he responded but the extrapolation of a single, extremely tame tweet to mean anything at all? It's again, a sign of an agenda or someone extremely out of touch. MDZ publicly drank and went out clubbing constantly and the level of "red flags" for him? Where were they? Somehow i suspect if this had been MDZ tweeting I wouldn't be seeing the same leaps in logic. His "history" has been proven to be overblown fuel for certain agendas here on HF so I don't put much stock in using his "history" as an excuse to overreact to a tweet

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why not? Bc you decided it? Seriously some of you sound like you're just a hair away from "get off my lawn". Blanket banning twitter responses and acting as if a twitter response is akin to a bender? I get not liking that he responded but the extrapolation of a single, extremely tame tweet to mean anything at all? It's again, a sign of an agenda or someone extremely out of touch. MDZ publicly drank and went out clubbing constantly and the level of "red flags" for him? Where were they? Somehow i suspect if this had been MDZ tweeting I wouldn't be seeing the same leaps in logic

What the hell extrapolation you’re talking about? DeAngelo has an immediate history. His status in pro sports is a virtual blip and there’s zero guarantee that he will have a place in the NHL even as soon as next week. It is not in his hands. It will not go unnoticed by the people who make these decisions, whether you like or agree with it or not. Again, it is in the context that is specific to DeAngelo who hasn’t distinguished himself enough for the organization to ignore it.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Why not? Bc you decided it? Seriously some of you sound like you're just a hair away from "get off my lawn". Blanket banning twitter responses and acting as if a twitter response is akin to a bender? I get not liking that he responded but the extrapolation of a single, extremely tame tweet to mean anything at all? It's again, a sign of an agenda or someone extremely out of touch. MDZ publicly drank and went out clubbing constantly and the level of "red flags" for him? Where were they? Somehow i suspect if this had been MDZ tweeting I wouldn't be seeing the same leaps in logic. His "history" has been proven to be overblown fuel for certain agendas here on HF so I don't put much stock in using his "history" as an excuse to overreact to a tweet

Well he’s got a history just this season of getting into it with fans over politics on Twitter. I think the point is as an athlete on social media, there’s always going to be criticisms of you and sometimes they’ll be unfair but you can’t really go after fans and those in the current media. It’s just a bad look and it’s not a one time occurrence.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
What the hell extrapolation you’re talking about? DeAngelo has an immediate history. His status in pro sports is a virtual blip and there’s zero guarantee that he will have a place in the NHL even as soon as next week. It is not in his hands. It will not go unnoticed by the people who make these decisions, whether you like or agree with it or not. Again, it is in the context that is specific to DeAngelo.
Go back and read. Its obvious what im talking about when i talk about posters extrapolating nonsense out of a single tweet . I already addressed your history comment too. It's noticed i'm sure, but unlike fans w agendas i suspect most gms really dont see it as even close to a big deal

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
And Boomer’s take was dumb and I don’t agree with it either but he’s got the right to say it and he didn’t say anything bad that would warrant a response like that IMO. It shows really thin skin from DeAngelo.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
ADA will be gone soon enough.

Hopefully.

An offensive dman without much offense and poor defense doesn't strike me as a building block.

He might get better, but I'm betting against it. Not a fan of Pionk or Gilmour either. Hoping that the next wave of young dmen are better than the group here, now.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Well he’s got a history just this season of getting into it with fans over politics on Twitter. I think the point is as an athlete on social media, there’s always going to be criticisms of you and sometimes they’ll be unfair but you can’t really go after fans and those in the current media. It’s just a bad look and it’s not a one time occurrence.
Yup, that's why i said i get it if you dislike him doing it. But the level to which people are reacting screams 'agenda' and HF has its own immediate history when it comes to that

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad