Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He’s 100% right. DeAngelo is way more offensively talented than McDonagh + the way he gets shots through would set up glorious opportunities for Nash/(Healthy) Kreider

He's right? Are you serious? He is right in saying DeAngelo will get 50+ points if he takes over McDonagh's PP minutes...? Alright then. I didn't realize we have Erik Karlsson 2.0 on defense

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Give McD’s first power play minutes to ADA for an entire season and I guarantee he puts up 50+ points as a dman

Well of course he does!

I-Am-Also-Confuse.jpg

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Based on what I've watched and looking at some of his stats, I think DeAngelo is probably an NHL defenseman, but not a very good one. I'd keep running him out there, its not like we need to win or the other defensemen are any better.

He's pretty good offensively, although not great offensively. We've gotten a decent enough sample of his offense at the NHL level. He's played 55 games, and with about average #6D minutes, so while we'd like more data, we have enough. He's put up what equates to about 25 points over 82 games with 6D minutes, which is reasonably good for the role you'd expect him to play. He's probably capable of a little better in that role as he improves, maybe like 30 points in that role, but his P/60 over the two seasons in all situations is around mid 50's out of about 180, so he's pretty decent at scoring points, which is his calling card.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the defense is just not very good. Its passable on a bottom pair with sheltered minutes, its not like ECHL level, but I don't see much upside there to be more than bottom third in defending among NHL defensemen. He's small, weak, bad in board battles, bad in front of his net and makes some very risky decisions defensively. He takes away a lot of his offensive contributions by not being very good defensively. Shatty does the same thing, but he's elite offensively. DeAngelo is not elite offensively. I guess he could become elite offensively, the raw offensive skills are there. He's not shown elite offensive play yet though, although he has shown pretty good offensive play, so maybe with another few years, he could get there.

If he doesn't show elite offensive play eventually, I see his role as a #6D, maybe a #5D, who plays the PP, gets sheltered minutes, puts up points, but defends poorly. Thats a useful player and he's still young so some minor improvements should be expected and he has talent to make major improvements. He's also on an ELC, so that works in his favor as well, but I'm not really expecting that much more than that from DeAngelo than what we are seeing right now. I don't think he's going to become Karlsson just because he's young and flashy.
In fairness,we don't know what type of point totals he possibly could put up in this disaster of a system.In a new system with a new coach getting 1st p.p. unit time,I'm sure he could put up more than 30 points pretty easily.Will be also a lot better to judge his progress defensively away from this current nightmare of a system.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
He's right? Are you serious? He is right in saying DeAngelo will get 50+ points if he takes over McDonagh's PP minutes...? Alright then. I didn't realize we have Erik Karlsson 2.0 on defense
Never compared him to EK. McD somehow put up about 50. ADA has more offense to his game. But this is NYR HF boards facts and actually watching the games don’t matter

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
tbf 50+ pts is a little much. But I agree that his offense is way better than McD's.

Just get a lh shutdown defenseman, and they should gel.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Erik Karlsson isn’t the only defender in the league who scores 50 points.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
come on we all know hes not erik karlsson he is the new drew doughty :laugh: game changer

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I meant check it again boo.

And why is that “Holden’s Guy” when the played started and gained momentum in front of DeAngelo?

Because of AV’s Russian Biased PlayStation “Man to Man”?
even in a zone ADA has the LW on the right side

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Happy kid got a win. Teams record with him in the lineup was putrid

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Shouldn't DeAngelo gotten credit for a secondary assist on Nash's goal tonight instead of Zucc? Zucc moved the puck up the board to him and he threw it across where Holden picked it up.

Aside from that - I'm really pleased with how DeAngelo has been playing with all the injuries. I hope he continue to develop his offense and gain confidence in his play.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Shouldn't DeAngelo gotten credit for a secondary assist on Nash's goal tonight instead of Zucc? Zucc moved the puck up the board to him and he threw it across where Holden picked it up.

Aside from that - I'm really pleased with how DeAngelo has been playing with all the injuries. I hope he continue to develop his offense and gain confidence in his play.

Really hard to see on the replay; Zucc waves his stick at the puck as ADA makes the play and the camera angle never captures whether it hits him or his stick, and they don't show any other angles for it to get a better look. If it did hit Zucc, neither he or dAngelo planned it :)

Reactions: Salvage21

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Not saying he'd get 50+ points, but you don't need to be EK 2.0 to get 50+ points as a defenseman.

You do know that the last time a NYR defenseman broke the 50-point mark it was 2001-2002, right? And most seasons have MAYBE 10 guys break 50 points from the blue line league-wide? If ADA could get close to 50 points, he'd be considered one of the top d-men in the league. He's not. Yet.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018

DeAngelo should’ve had the 2nd assist. I complained to the NHL we’ll see if I get a response.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You do know that the last time a NYR defenseman broke the 50-point mark it was 2001-2002, right? And most seasons have MAYBE 10 guys break 50 points from the blue line league-wide? If ADA could get close to 50 points, he'd be considered one of the top d-men in the league. He's not. Yet.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Just that in order to 50+ points he doesn't need to be one of the greatest offensive defensemen of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad