Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Agreed. Him and Lias Andersson for Stephan. I’d do it EVERY time.

It was really hard at the time, but I'm glad they took the gamble. Way too early to call the trade, though. I like what I have seen from ADA--he's putting together a string of games where he's showing what used to be occasional flashes. But it's still VERY early on both him and LA. And I think we're hurting as much from the loss of Raanta as we are from Stepan. Henrik is playing WAY too many games for a goalie of his age, and even though he's generally done well, it's pretty clear that the team doesn't trust Pavelec the way they did Raanta or Talbot.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Agreed. Him and Lias Andersson for Stephan. I’d do it EVERY time.
The problem in the trade was Raanta becoming a throw in. Could’ve easily gotten that trade done for Stepan only, then get another couple picks for Raanta

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
If there was a mistake made in moving Stepan it was not trading him a year earlier.

From the looks of it, we got out from under that deal at the right time.
I disagree, I think they had to move him at the draft. Packaging him with Raanta just wasn’t the best idea.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The problem in the trade was Raanta becoming a throw in. Could’ve easily gotten that trade done for Stepan only, then get another couple picks for Raanta

people constantly say that like they actually believe that gorton turned down better offers. just because you imagined a better deal in your head based on zero fact doesn't mean he could have gotten the deal done without raanta and then moved him for something else

Reactions: Rangers in 7

effen

Feb 3, 2018
people constantly say that like they actually believe that gorton turned down better offers. just because you imagined a better deal in your head based on zero fact doesn't mean he could have gotten the deal done without raanta and then moved him for something else

easily, bro

E A S I L Y. lol.

afaik the Coyotes were the only serious bidder for Stepan

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018

Raanta had multiple teams interested not just Arizona. I think they could’ve easily gotten at least another pick in the deal.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
They had interviews with Chayka & Gorton afterwards. Both said Raanta was a key part of the deal and it would not have gone through without him.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

It was subpar value for a 27 y/o 1C. Draft break leading to #7 made it look even worse.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What people continue to miss about the Stepan deal is that AZ assumed all of his contract. In the current environment, that is the equivalent of at least a 2nd round pick.

$2M is the rate for a 2nd. $3M is a rate for a 1st. You're right, teams view cap space in trade value.

ARI cleared $7M plus off the cap for the Rangers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It was subpar value for a 27 y/o 1C. Draft break leading to #7 made it look even worse.
He was a borderline 1C with somewhat diminishing skills (who is on pace for his lowest point production since his rookie year), who had a contract that was about to become really difficult to move. We got rid of the entirety of his contract, a good defensive prospect and a #7 pick who is an excellent prospect in his own right.

The team had been shopping Stepan for a long time, and this was evidently the best deal out there, which required Raanta's inclusion. I don't know why it's assumed that we could have gotten more.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Even where we are today...I do that trade every day of the week. Is rather trade a player a year too early than a year too late...you can see stepans game starting to fall off that cliff...

Reactions: nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Raanta had multiple teams interested not just Arizona. I think they could’ve easily gotten at least another pick in the deal.

Which ones? Carolina made a move for Darling. Calgary acquired Smith. Dallas made a move for Bishop. Besides Arizona,which team was looking for a goaltender? McPhee passed on Raanta in the expansion draft.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Stepan is ~ a 55 point center, I think we can all agree on that. Perhaps down a little this year due to his transition to a new team and weaker line-mates. However he fell off the cliff in the playoff run last year- actually was a disaster when it mattered most- which I think figured significantly in his being jettisoned. He may have cost us our best shot at the Cup with his failing play. Forgetting about that he is a quality center he is not a true number one center on a contender, I think that is pretty much a unanimous opinion in the NHL. The Rangers did well to acquire a # 7 in the draft but the players they targeted were taken so they settled for Anderson who was expected to go more in the middle of the 1st round. That said I would rather have Anderson today then Stepan given salary, age, etc. Of course it is uncertain what Anderson is but given the upcoming retooling he seems like a better fit and potentially is part of a strong center position with Mika, Hayes & Chytil.

ps - Raanta's a UFA after this season so the Rangers didn't ultimately lose much trading him since it appears to be necessary to make the deal they made, which one assumes was the best deal available.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Even where we are today...I do that trade every day of the week. Is rather trade a player a year too early than a year too late...you can see stepans game starting to fall off that cliff...
He has 32 points on the worst team in NHL history. He is right where he was every year with us. He will get his 50 points on a awful team. I don’t see the drop off. Please remember with the 50-55 points he was never a minus player as a Ranger. These guys don’t grow on trees.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Stepan is ~ a 55 point center, I think we can all agree on that. Perhaps down a little this year due to his transition to a new team and weaker line-mates. However he fell off the cliff in the playoff run last year- actually was a disaster when it mattered most- which I think figured significantly in his being jettisoned. He may have cost us our best shot at the Cup with his failing play. Forgetting about that he is a quality center he is not a true number one center on a contender, I think that is pretty much a unanimous opinion in the NHL. The Rangers did well to acquire a # 7 in the draft but the players they targeted were taken so they settled for Anderson who was expected to go more in the middle of the 1st round. That said I would rather have Anderson today then Stepan given salary, age, etc. Of course it is uncertain what Anderson is but given the upcoming retooling he seems like a better fit and potentially is part of a strong center position with Mika, Hayes & Chytil.

ps - Raanta's a UFA after this season so the Rangers didn't ultimately lose much trading him since it appears to be necessary to make the deal they made, which one assumes was the best deal available.
You honestly think Deangelo is a NHL defenseman???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad