Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Missing all or part of camp, being behind his teammates and the rest of the league and possibly under performing this season while he tries to catch up is going to cost DeAngelo more money than whatever the gap in pay is between him and the Rangers right now. It's not like he's an established vet who is going to slide right into a reserved role whenever he decides to finally sign. He's risking making things harder on himself in a season where the Rangers got better on the right side. Points=$ and the Rangers added some offensive firepower this summer for DeAngelo to spring with passes. I wouldn't want to miss that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Missing all or part of camp, being behind his teammates and the rest of the league and possibly under performing this season while he tries to catch up is going to cost DeAngelo more money than whatever the gap in pay is between him and the Rangers right now. It's not like he's an established vet who is going to slide right into a reserved role whenever he decides to finally sign. He's risking making things harder on himself in a season where the Rangers got better on the right side. Points=$ and the Rangers added some offensive firepower this summer for DeAngelo to spring with passes. I wouldn't want to miss that.

Agreed completely, very questionable decision making at this point.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I don't blame Tony for doing what he's doing.

I kind of do.

You don’t have to be a genius to see how things are going to play out.

You’re not going to strong arm a team after 60 games of up/down hockey when they have no cap space.

I 100% blame him. This kind of reminds me Of Dubinsky’s unnecessary hold out many years ago, except we had cap room to accommodate a bump in his salary.

Sather + JD are old school guys who are going to move this kid to his 4th team if he keeps this up.

ADA found an organization and coach that revitalized his career, and his own selfishness and stupidity is going to potentially ruin that.

I don’t mind players trying to make their money. I prefer it in their accounts over the NHL owners. But this kid is fishing in a dry river.

Wake up ADA.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Feels like we're watching the ADA Rangers relationship deteriorate in front of our eyes.

You mean, in our minds. Nothing has really come out that there is much animosity between the sides. Nothing has even really come out on what TD's side is looking for or what the Rangers offer actually was/is. All I'm seeing is speculation and more speculation which everybody is running with to suit their agendas. All sides here are up in arms but it seems it's mostly out of the anxiety of having the team be worse off and/or people just not liking what TD stands for.

Plenty of players have held out and then ended up playing for the same team years onward, NYR included.

I don't blame Tony for doing what he's doing--by all means, if he thinks this is the best way to secure a better deal, then go for it. I just don't understand what he realistically thinks is going to happen, here.

I think his team and him are taking, what they believe to be, a calculated risk. They are obviously willing to forego the benefit of training camp and preseason which they have to know will hurt him. What realistically could happen? Injuries to NYR defensemen (Hey we already had Panarin suffer a groin injury) or maybe an injury someplace else that opens the trade market for Strome/Names/Krieder or even for TD himself.

While agree the Rangers aren't going to move somebody specifically to sign him, I believe they will move somebody if there is an opportunity to get returns. Tony would be the unintended beneficiary. If none of that happens, he caves, signs, and plays. Maybe his agent sees what's available in Euro/KHL.

If this is indeed their strategy, I'm not saying I agree with it but I can see why they would take the chance.

Oh, and anybody who wants to say (again) that no team would want TD because of attitude issues or contract issues or whatever else, I'll say (perceived) talent trumps all. Do we really have to go through the history of troubled players that got 2nd, 3rd, 4th...chances. NHL teams weren't doing that out of the kindness of their heart. Slava Voynov's suspension ends after this season. Everybody think that there won't be several NHL teams offering him a contract? ...talent trumps all.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA will be a nyr. book it.

hes holding out at camp. big deal. by all accounts, hes in terrific shape and working out on his own. he wont take long to get up to speed. hes always been a guy who can play alot of minutes and is very fit.

as for the hold out, its a common play. the offer is there, he has that in his pocket. the team can always swing a deal and create some space so he gets his bridge he and his camp want. if that doesnt happen, he agrees to sign the deal that is there and considers it a calculated risk play that didn't work out. this is a business and why sign a bad deal early ? its still the same bad deal if he signs at the end of camp. no harm no foul other than the butt hurt fans who think hes an ingrate.

his comp in camp really is a rookie, adam fox, a slug in brendan smith and another unproven not ready rook is joey keane. not. worried

hell sign the bad deal at the end, feel good about the principle of holding out for better and when that offer doesnt materialize, he plays hard for next years deal. its the plan the agent believes makes the most sense.

its business. a week into the season, and after he makes some amazing play or scores a goal, everyone will be singing his praises and forget about the holdout.

and ADA will show that cocky jersey smirk and know he played this the right way.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I’ll ask again... is he that talented that he doesn’t need camp and pre-season games to get ready?

People paint him as our best dman last yr which is maybe true except that
A) He only played 2/3 of the season
And
B) Our defense was hot baby poo

He isn’t Bobby Orr or Karlsson... he needs every bit of practice and experience he can get.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Love the guy, and he is worth more than 925k, but holy shit Tony get your head out of your ass. The money isn't there to give right now.

We need to have a bit of room under the cap as operating budget. We can't just give the rest of the cap to Tony

Obviously we would like him to play but we have other options at RD, and he runs the risk of falling down the depth chart. Good luck trying to negotiate more money after holding out and playing 3rd pair minutes.

Its not like we are holding him hostage. 1 year deal, 925k, and he is assuredly going to get a decent raise next year.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad