Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
So, the jury is out on Skjei, but you are sold on ADA?
Look, I am as excited about the group of young defensemen as anyone, but I think we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves with regard to ADA. He has looked better this camp. More confident and seems to be better in his own end, but, at this stage, he is John Moore, not Ghost. As a skilled, offensive defensemen, he needs to put up points to make up for his defensive deficiencies. When he starts doing that, he will move himself into a different category.

It is clear to me anyway, that the organization values Pionk higher than ADA, and I agree. Pionk is more productive and plays a harder game.

Exactly what type of dman Skjei will solidify himself as - yes, I believe so. I never meant to say ADA is better than Skjei, or that I’m more sold on him, I just think that we have yet to see the best of Skjei.

This is about me believing that ADA can very well be on his way to being a great dman. Time will tell.

Again, it’s not about ADA V. Pionk. We are lucky to have all three and watching them grow together (at this rate) is pretty freakin’ cool.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Finally got in a game and looked good dropping dimes all over the ice.

Was of course tied up at work all night, just like every game night, but have heard and seen nothing but good things from the kid. Such great news, got a shot and ran with it. Hopefully he gets another crack at it next game.

How was the physicality with him? Is he noticeably more engaged and playing harder away from the puck ?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Was of course tied up at work all night, just like every game night, but have heard and seen nothing but good things from the kid. Such great news, got a shot and ran with it. Hopefully he gets another crack at it next game.

How was the physicality with him? Is he noticeably more engaged and playing harder away from the puck ?
Yes, aside from making several good defensive plays, he got tangled up with some player who pulled him down so he started punching him in the face, then later he got another penalty for a knee on knee and instantly throws his gloves off and tried fighting him too :laugh: He was a MADMAN

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Yes, aside from making several good defensive plays, he got tangled up with some player who pulled him down so he started punching him in the face, then later he got another penalty for a knee on knee and instantly throws his gloves off and tried fighting him too :laugh: He was a MADMAN

Exactly what I’d hoped to hear.

Glad the kid is continuing to make strides and now he’s being rewarded on the scoresheet.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Exactly what I’d hoped to hear.

Glad the kid is continuing to make strides and now he’s being rewarded on the scoresheet.
He deserved some puck luck after the breaks he's been getting.

2 primary assists with a 1-0 5v5 goal differential in a 5-8 loss with a 5v5 score of 4-7 is pretty great, especially if your coach seem to react to such things.

Only saw the highlights, but among them there were only positive moments for DeAngelo. His possession numbers were decent as well, though not as dominant as we've seen previously. I expected him to get the deployment Shattenkirk did as we dressed 7D, so I'm very happy with what we got.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
ADA is going to make mistakes and he's probably never going to be that good defensively. But he needs to be in the lineup, he's the most skilled, best skating defenseman we have, he passes the puck so well. Watching him vs anyone else on defense with the puck and it's incredible how quickly he makes decisions.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
ADA is going to make mistakes and he's probably never going to be that good defensively. But he needs to be in the lineup, he's the most skilled, best skating defenseman we have, he passes the puck so well. Watching him vs anyone else on defense with the puck and it's incredible how quickly he makes decisions.
I legitimately believe he can become a 50+ point defenseman

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I’d rather give him staals spot. I don’t cate so much about handedness.

Staal and Mcquaid can rotate as the third pair left side defender

You may not care much about handedness, but the vast majority of NHL coaches do, and with good reason.

I actually think McQuaid, even with the cement in his skates, fits this system fairly well even if its just due to his ability to clear the crease. Why isn't Shattenkirk in this discussion? In my opinion, DeAngelo is giving the team what Shattenkirk is supposed to be providing.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not for nothing McQuaid should only have been brought In as insurance. Not as a new staple for the blue line. This guy has played fine but we owe him nothing. ADA should be playing he’s earned the spot.

Reactions: Dijock94

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
He has that Drew Doughty level of psycho in him lol.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've posted this before. I've seen a fair amount of ADA in person when he was tampa proprty and played here in syracuse. prob saw 15 games easy.

heres what i saw every time.

one of the best players on the ice all the time.
patient
smart
fiesty
composed
creative
good skater with great edge work
smallish
point producer
gambler
risk taker
hot head
defensively game but sometimes liable.

overall, a very gifted offensive dman who can play 20+ per night and man the pp point.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
He’s going to saddled next to Staal now. i Hope staal stays the f*** away from the offensive zone tho. Staal keeps attacking despite being a black hole offensively, and putting his partner in a bad spot.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If he’s became a consitent 40pt guy who wasn’t a defensive liability, I’d be ecstatic.

You look at the guys who scored 40-50 points on the blueline last season and it's pretty good company. Almost everyone above 50 points is specifically an "offensive" defenseman (Suter is the only one that stands out as not being so).

Generally if you hit that range you're doing quite well in todays NHL. It'd be real interesting to see what DeAngelo could do with a full season and running the first PP

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You look at the guys who scored 40-50 points on the blueline last season and it's pretty good company. Almost everyone above 50 points is specifically an "offensive" defenseman (Suter is the only one that stands out as not being so).

Generally if you hit that range you're doing quite well in todays NHL. It'd be real interesting to see what DeAngelo could do with a full season and running the first PP

I was aware of all you just wrote when I posted my previous response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad