Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There were only 30 defenders last season who put up 40 or more points. Only 19 with 50 or more.

Not sure that should be the expectation, not this season, maybe eventually if everything goes well for him and he becomes the top PP RD and still had good production 5on5.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
There were only 30 defenders last season who put up 40 or more points. Only 19 with 50 or more.

Not sure that should be the expectation, not this season, maybe eventually if everything goes well for him and he becomes the top PP RD and still had good production 5on5.
Latest practice lines have him on the 1PP and Shattenkirk as a healthy scratch. ADA is getting the shot AV refused to give him last year, and I don’t anticipate ADA screwing it up.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I missed the game tonight. Watching the encore right now, but I accidentally saw the score, so now I’m not so interested. Plus, they are skipping more action than usual. Anyways, if someone doesn’t mind, how did my boy do? From what I’ve seen so far, he has looked solid. Make a couple good plays. One or two goofs, but nothing too major as of yet.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Latest practice lines have him on the 1PP and Shattenkirk as a healthy scratch. ADA is getting the shot AV refused to give him last year, and I don’t anticipate ADA screwing it up.
Ada is also a year older and a year more experience/prepared for this opportunity. He wasn't a kid oozing maturity, and in the long run the way this played out for him may be a blessing in disguise

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Felt like last night was his weakest showing. Made a few dumb pinches and it cost us a goal and probably shoulda been more. He was still better than most of our regulars....which is saying something.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Staal effect? He had a few nice pinches and reads but it also seemed like he was covering for Staal too many times
Yeah it's definitely worth noting that every player who has played with staal since stralman left has looked waaayyyy worse than when they play with literally anyone else.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Are we actually high on this kid or is it that they don't have much else in the cupboard?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Reposting what I said in the PGT:

As you all know, I am very high on Pionk after last year, but even despite not catching all of the first two games, I am more than comfortable saying he hasn't been as good as he needs to be out of the gate and Quinn was justified in sitting him.

As you also know, I am not a big ADA fan, but I must admit he looked very good against Carolina.

Last night ADA did not look good. He'll always do things with the puck on his stick that impress, thus leaving the impression for those not focusing on his defensive game that he played at least okay, but his game without the puck continues to be a major problem. Last night he had a number of bad pinches, ill-advised joining on the rush (for those of you saying he wasn't at fault on the second goal what's he doing 1/3 of the way into the O-zone when his partner is changing?), and perhaps most troubling of all, simply bouncing off players on D.

You don't make changes (barring injury) after your first win of the season, but he needs to do a lot better than that to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He's actually still 22 for like two more weeks.

I think if he is given a chance he could turn out to be a puck mover in the sense that he can get the puck out of the his own zone pretty reliably. I think he may turn into a decent PP player as well as he has the handling skills.

His reads without the puck still need some work.

That puck moving trait I think it's pretty difficult to find, Rangers have been looking for it for a long time.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Reposting what I said in the PGT:
For me regardless of his perceived lack on defensive ability, he is a 22 year old kid who has played more then well enough to justify being in the line up night in and out...pionk on the other hand is completely over rated on this board. He’s a solid young player but he’s nothing more then a 4 or 5 dmen right now

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA will be fine. this defense isnt very good so he has an opportunity to show what he can do and i expect him to cement his spot.

lemme say this right now. his offensive instincts are as good as any other Dman on this roster by alot. and its not even close. hes a natural offensive dman. his ability to put pressure on opposing players when he has the pill is a weapon.

his passing skills are top notch. he makes good smart tape to tape passes in the O zone, can man the pp point and has the ability to skate the puck out. all things very few of our defense does well. he brings some important offensive skills to they roster. matched with the correct partner, he should be a point producer.

doesnt hurt that the vet pmd we have isnt playing well right now. ADA has a huge opportunity here.

his defense is still suspect at times- who's isnt the you are 22 ? but he bring enough offense to allow more minutes.

its up to him. he needs to cash.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
15:30 mark 2nd period.

marc staal shows exactly why hes marc staal. slow. poor decision making. cant get back. clueless.

staal is up ice, gets caught flat footed mid ice, the play goes by him as he kinda turns like a siberian sloth dipped in molasses, and leaves his partner ADA on a clean 2 on 1. ADA plays the shooter, lays out and tries to take away the pass and hank makes the stop.

perfect. example.

Reactions: Rongomania

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How can you not be high on him with the skill set he possesses??

You seem to overrate his raw skill set and even if he has the tools they haven't been put together. I remember people being high on Emerson Etem who was another first rounder with a good skillset but couldn't put it together. I am not gonna write him off completely at this point, it's still a bit early but I don't see him being an impact defenseman in the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For me regardless of his perceived lack on defensive ability, he is a 22 year old kid who has played more then well enough to justify being in the line up night in and out...pionk on the other hand is completely over rated on this board. He’s a solid young player but he’s nothing more then a 4 or 5 dmen right now
WRT Pionk, I don't really remember anyone thinking or projecting he'd be more than a 4 or 5 this season. Maybe a few people though he'd be a 3, but not a lot. So if you think he's primarily a 4 or 5, then you're pretty much in agreement with most everyone else, and then he's not really overrated to any serious degree. I mean there will always be some that say crazy things, but that's true for any player.

That he appeared to do well as a first year pro, playing his first 50+ game season, on the top pair for a terrible team logging big minutes, was a nice thing. And from that it was reasonable to predict he could slide in on the second pair of a rebuilding team. I still think he will, at some point this year. He just needs to calm the f*** down out there and not play so hyper.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IMO you have to let an offensive defenseman like DeAngelo make some mistakes. The only offensive defensemen who don't make mistakes are elite level franchise guys and actually they STILL make mistakes. You gotta let him grow and learn how to find the right balance and then maybe if he's still not balancing out mistakes made with positive points etc, you cut bait and realize it's not gong to work out.

It's just...you can't develop an offensive defenseman by insisting they play mistake free defense at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad