Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
This is my main concern with him. An offensive defenseman needs to put up points. Something that he has shown no ability to do at the NHL level so far.
i wouldnt completely blame ADA for his inability to put up points, hes still a kid as well and has shown progress this preseason....im not worried at all with him not putting up points yet but if he plays like this he is going to put up plenty of points, right now he is a 4/5 guy PP2 and i think that alone will be good

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
How old was Dan Boyle when he broke out ?

I remember some of you guys (back when ADA was acquired) said his upside could be a Dan Boyle type of Dman .

Everything seems to point in that direction with this kid, he’s been doing all of the right things. If he keeps up this play the points just have got to come. That in itself is another hurdle for this kid to jump and so far he’s looking like he’s driven to accomplish all of that.

*edit

Add in the fact that he has a competent new-age coach who has been letting him do his thing. Could be so huge.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
How old was Dan Boyle when he broke out ?

I remember some of you guys (back when ADA was acquired) said his upside could be a Dan Boyle type of Dman .

Everything seems to point in that direction with this kid, he’s been doing all of the right things. If he keeps up this play the points just have got to come. That in itself is another hurdle for this kid to jump and so far he’s looking like he’s driven to accomplish all of that.

*edit

Add in the fact that he has a competent new-age coach who has been letting him do his thing. Could be so huge.

Assuming my math is correct, Boyle was 22 when he played his first games in the NHL. 26 before he put up a season over 26 pts

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Happy he’s come out swinging.

But let’s remember to not press to firmly on the gas pedal when talking about direction at this point. We’re two games into the preseason here.

I know, I know, but..

If it were the other way around and Tony D came out flat in these past two games, we all know the gas pedal would be to the floor at the other end of this spectrum.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Let me be very clear ADA is a much better player than Pionk in my book. I just think Pionk has the inside track based off of his performance last year. ADA has to put up some points has to

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Let me be very clear ADA is a much better player than Pionk in my book. I just think Pionk has the inside track based off of his performance last year. ADA has to put up some points has to
I agree, but not completely. As of right now, I think they are both close. ADA may only be a little better right now, in my opinion, but his upside is higher than Pionk’s. He could be a 1st pairing defenseman if everything goes right, while Pionk’s ceiling is probably a good #4 defenseman on a good team (maybe mediocre #3 defenseman). However, Pionk is better defensively (and probably has a higher hockey IQ). Therefore, he is less likely to “bust” than DeAngelo.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

But the fact is Pionk so far has been the better player. Not just defensively, but offensively as well.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
But the fact is Pionk so far has been the better player. Not just defensively, but offensively as well.
Eh, the underlying stats (and even the eye test, I would say) show that ADA has been better offensively. Then again, Pionk has been able to more get assists, albeit secondary. Why can’t ADA get as many? Is it only extremely bad luck? Or is it something more? Don’t get me wrong. I really like both of them. It’s hard to pinpoint who the better player is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

He was also given a much, much longer leash from AV than ADA was and ADA got hurt. Many variables are coming into play here. I think that since Pionk is waiver eligible, he will be THE GUY in Hartford if he doesn’t absolutely play his way back onto the team. And if he does absolutely force his way back onto the team and ADA does as well, then **** we have one fantastic problem..

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
ADA: top of the line tools, no tool box.
Pionk: Hammers and Handsaws

At end of the day, it's about who builds the better product, not how much attention they drew building it.

ADA can wow people with potential, but he's got to get the results. If he doesn't, there's going to be about three guys hot on his tail next year trying to take a job that he is hanging onto by his fingernails now. If you're a one trick pony, you better be real good at the trick. Right now he isn't cutting it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
No toolbox? What?

The toolbox is fantastic..what he's lacking is a shot. His shot is weaker than Scott Gomez .if he put a few mph on his shot it would make a world of difference.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No toolbox? What?

The toolbox is fantastic..what he's lacking is a shot. His shot is weaker than Scott Gomez .if he put a few mph on his shot it would make a world of difference.
Case and point: his shot from the game against the Flyers on Wednesday.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty hard to be effective on the power play point if opposition goalies/defenses don't respect your shot. They will cheat on you making the pass all the time. Not sure that ADA's shot velocity is all that bad but he needs to be able to score now and again if only to keep the goalies honest. Otherwise it's going to be hard for him to put up a lot of points.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Pretty hard to be effective on the power play point if opposition goalies/defenses don't respect your shot. They will cheat on you making the pass all the time. Not sure that ADA's shot velocity is all that bad but he needs to be able to score now and again if only to keep the goalies honest. Otherwise it's going to be hard for him to put up a lot of points.
Shot velocity has been an issue for a while, his scouting reports that were praising his offensive game had the caveat that while his shot was very accurate it might lack power. That isn't as much of an issue against lesser goalies when you can pick corners, but it doesn't fly as well in the NHL where a good release and shot power is much more important.

I hope he can get some mentoring from Shatty who also has an accurate, but weakish shot. He has managed to work around it and his shot is a real weapon.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Shot velocity has been an issue for a while, his scouting reports that were praising his offensive game had the caveat that while his shot was very accurate it might lack power. That isn't as much of an issue against lesser goalies when you can pick corners, but it doesn't fly as well in the NHL where a good release and shot power is much more important.

I hope he can get some mentoring from Shatty who also has an accurate, but weakish shot. He has managed to work around it and his shot is a real weapon.

It's extremely difficult to beat any goaltender cleanly from out past the circles and even harder from the blueline and even harder when your angle is coming off the boards. Those are the areas that DeAngelo is going to shoot mainly from. It's tough when your shot isn't that great. Yandle's shot isn't that great either but he's an exceptional and creative passer and there is a lot of deception in what he does...and yet he usually ends the year with 6,7, 8 goals. He can really place a shot through a screen though. Getting his shots through screens and being able to place shots is where ADA has to go on this. Against Philadelphia he was in close on Hart and that was a nice shot he made. Hart is very talented young goalie though and he is big and there wasn't a lot to shoot at and Hart made it look routine.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was also given a much, much longer leash from AV than ADA was and ADA got hurt. Many variables are coming into play here. I think that since Pionk is waiver eligible, he will be THE GUY in Hartford if he doesn’t absolutely play his way back onto the team. And if he does absolutely force his way back onto the team and ADA does as well, then **** we have one fantastic problem..
As has been mentioned a bunch of times by myself and others, Gorton also brought Pionk along to the WC. I think the organization is really high on Pionk, and it wasn't just an AV thing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

And as we know, the shooting lanes on an NHL PP are basically non-existent, and when they do exist they close really quickly. If you've got a popgun instead of a cannon, that split-second difference can be what allows a guy to get a skate in front of the shot, or a stick or whatever. And 5-on-5? If your shot sucks you have to either hope for a great screen or a deflection.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
As has been mentioned a bunch of times by myself and others, Gorton also brought Pionk along to the WC. I think the organization is really high on Pionk, and it wasn't just an AV thing.

It is amazing that some fans are not high on Pionk, he is clearly better than ADA and they are both competing for that RD spot. And they are same age, but Pionk is just way better rounded and while is not as flashy as ADA he just produces points.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

I absolutely understand that. I am real high on Pionk as well, I just think ADA wasn’t given as fair of a shake as NP while AV was here. I understand ADA is not a defensive whiz kid like NP, but as we all know, with a defenseman in ADA’s mold, you’ve got to live with the growing pains, and I believe Quinn has that plan now. I’m just excited that we’ve got both of these guys.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I absolutely understand that. I am real high on Pionk as well, I just think ADA wasn’t given as fair of a shake as NP while AV was here. I understand ADA is not a defensive whiz kid like NP, but as we all know, with a defenseman in ADA’s mold, you’ve got to live with the growing pains, and I believe Quinn has that plan now. I’m just excited that we’ve got both of these guys.
Yeah I get it, I'm not making it an ADA vs. Pionk thing. I just see a lot of people suggest that it simply AV that was behind Pionk big minutes, whereas I think it was much more of an organizational thing, given that AV was basically a lame duck at that point and then Gorton brought Pionk to the Championships. That was my only point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad