Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
That is a really bad comparison. Krug's primary skill is his ability to shoot the puck. ADA has a terrible shot.

He's roughly the same size, plays the same type of game. ADA has been pretty good with his opportunities to be able to get the puck on net and find passing seams. Difference is Krug is 27 and ADA is 22. I think every Ranger fan would want him to be a Krug LITE player.

Gotta see what ADA has before jumping to conclusions. Time will tell.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I don't know why anyone would dislike ADA. He's young, plenty of time to improve and hone his craft and has potential to be a future player for the Rangers for years to come. If he doesn't work out, oh well, wouldn't be the first time, happens enough in the NHL. However, I don't know why people want him to fail.

Ranger fans should want Rangers to succeed.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He's roughly the same size, plays the same type of game. ADA has been pretty good with his opportunities to be able to get the puck on net and find passing seams. Difference is Krug is 27 and ADA is 22. I think every Ranger fan would want him to be a Krug LITE player.

Gotta see what ADA has before jumping to conclusions. Time will tell.

I am hopeful for ADA. His skill is undeniable, but he has a marshmallow shot. Krug has made his hay taking one-timers from the point. Without that skill, Krug is just another small D who is ineffective at defending.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
No, but Yakupov got every opportunity to succeed. What I'm saying is if there is an undeniable potential you see it through, play the kid and find out. I would say ADA has not been given every opportunity to succeed and everyone should wait to see that first before jumping to conclusions.

Same goes for Pionk for that matter. It's way too early to tell for either of them. I'm not pro ADA or pro Pionk. I'm pro New York Rangers. If they both come out smelling like roses than great. But the verdict on both of them is still up in the air. Which makes this season fun.
Yeah, I agree with you on all points. I might have received the first thought wrong... my apologies.

The only thing I can think of is that they're trying to showcase enough for trade value, concerning playing the older guys. Like you, I can't understand why in hell you wouldn't be pumping minutes into these young guys to make sure you know what you do or don't have, while putting the vets on rotation until a move is made. This is the "f***-it" season where young guys can fail and learn.

Reactions: MetalJaws

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
ADA is great at getting his shot through and creating rebound chances.. underrated skill.

He should skate. I definitely think hes one of our best 6 defensemen

Reactions: belford222

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This shouldn't be a complicated equation. The Rangers don't like Shattenkirk or ADA on the PK. All (4) of their LD's are very capable PKers. Pionk and McQuaid can both play PK.

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-ADA
Smith-Shattenkirk

PK is:

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-Smith

If Skjei and Pionk take the last PK shift together, then follow them with either of pairing 2 or 3.

If Staal an Smith take the last PK shift, then follow them with paring 1.

I would honestly prefer McQuaid playing the left side to Staal with ADA but that's life.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This shouldn't be a complicated equation. The Rangers don't like Shattenkirk or ADA on the PK. All (4) of their LD's are very capable PKers. Pionk and McQuaid can both play PK.

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-ADA
Smith-Shattenkirk

PK is:

Skjei-Pionk
Staal-Smith

If Skjei and Pionk take the last PK shift together, then follow them with either of pairing 2 or 3.

If Staal an Smith take the last PK shift, then follow them with paring 1.

I would honestly prefer McQuaid playing the left side to Staal with ADA but that's life.
I just can't understand why this is such a tough decision. Although Claesson has been very solid. Maybe some team would be open to trading for one of Smith/Staal, most likely Smith to create a spot for ADA.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think them being bad on the PK is really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, which leads me to wonder why they can not try DeAngelo there just as they are doing with Pionk.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just can't understand why this is such a tough decision. Although Claesson has been very solid. Maybe some team would be open to trading for one of Smith/Staal, most likely Smith to create a spot for ADA.

I always find myself torn on guys like Claesson. They’re “safer” than young, unproven talent, but there’s seldom a ton of upside there. As a result, they can quickly become a coach’s security blanket. They usually don’t make an egregious errors that cost games, but they also don’t typically do anything spectacular to win them either.

They’re always just “good enough.”

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I always find myself torn on guys like Claesson. They’re “safer” than young, unproven talent, but there’s seldom a ton of upside there. As a result, they can quickly become a coach’s security blanket. They usually don’t make an egregious errors that cost games, but they also don’t typically do anything spectacular to win them either.

They’re always just “good enough.”
Or they become Anton Stralman.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
There’s a lot of truth to that, though I do feel like Strålman was a guy who showed a good amount prior to coming to the team, people just didn’t always appreciate it.
I think there's room for all kinds of guys on the team. That includes quietly effective bottom pairing guys who come cheap and can be extended on value contracts precisely because they didn't get a QO and would probably trade potential income for security.

It's obv very early for him with this org, but he hasn't made much in the NHL at all and is will be 26. You lock up a guy like him for 3yrs / 4.2M and thats a contract that can easily be outperformed on a medium term while also being easily eaten or dumped if necessary. Value is value in a cap world. I think there's a lot of potential surplus value in him.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stralman catching on with the Rangers was maybe his last chance--Toronto to Columbus and then struck out with the Devils as a free agent tryout. I kind of remember a clip--and it may have been from the HBO special on the Rangers outdoor game when Torts turns to Stralman (maybe it was Del Zotto but I think it was Anton) after watching some video (and the whole team is present) and dressing him down saying something along the lines of 'you wonder why Eminger is playing--it's because I can depend on him to give me everything'. My remembrance of that was Anton's game getting a lot better from that moment on--but it kind of got better at the expense of a lot of his offensive proclivities. He focused on his defense after that--something that Torts would have liked.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Stralman catching on with the Rangers was maybe his last chance--Toronto to Columbus and then struck out with the Devils as a free agent tryout. I kind of remember a clip--and it may have been from the HBO special on the Rangers outdoor game when Torts turns to Stralman (maybe it was Del Zotto but I think it was Anton) after watching some video (and the whole team is present) and dressing him down saying something along the lines of 'you wonder why Eminger is playing--it's because I can depend on him to give me everything'. My remembrance of that was Anton's game getting a lot better from that moment on--but it kind of got better at the expense of a lot of his offensive proclivities. He focused on his defense after that--something that Torts would have liked.

He became a Tort's Kinda Guy too late...

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
ADA is great at getting his shot through and creating rebound chances.. underrated skill.

He should skate. I definitely think hes one of our best 6 defensemen
Maybe we’re watching different things, but he can’t get a shot through to save his life

If he had a better shot and got it through traffic more consistently he’d be putting up way more points

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe we’re watching different things, but he can’t get a shot through to save his life

If he had a better shot and got it through traffic more consistently he’d be putting up way more points

I noticed something about DeAngelo this preseason which also held true for last year - he is incredible at getting his shots on net. This preseason he has had 8 shot attempts of which 7 have been on net and last season he put 56 of his 85 attempts on net (66%). Not only was that 66% league leading among defencemen with more than 400 minutes of 5v5 TOI, but the only other defencemen that broke 60% did so by picking their spots very carefully and barely shooting at all (Santini, 5.06 S/60 & C. Tanev, 2.55 S/60) while DeAngelo fired away 7.53 S/60 - good for 9th most in the league. For comparison #10 Roman Josi (7.42 S/60) only had 49.5% of his attempts hit the target.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Because he’s one of the best 6 defensemen on the club right now.. it just happens that 4 of the 6 best guys are right handed and You can’t play a guy on his off side in the NHL or else the boogeyman will get you

They have to be good defensively to play on their off side.

Anyway, he's one of the top 15 defensive prospects we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad