Recalled/Assigned: Tony DeAngelo back to Wolfpack

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
At least maybe they call someone up to play with Buch on the 4th line for like 10 minutes a game. That will likely be seen as good for their development too.

Continue to blame AV for a player that has trouble sticking at this level.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

**** you Gorton.

It`s not on Gorton - if I`m going to speculate it`s hard to avoid politics, but I`ve a notion that Glen Sather is involved in this somehow,lol.

It`s either A. new coaching staff B. Do something AV - and not surprise me that DeAngelo was sent down because of, AV. :)

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It`s not on Gorton - if I`m going to speculate it`s hard to avoid politics, but I`ve a notion that Glen Sather is involved in this somehow,lol.

It`s either A. new coaching staff B. Do something AV - and not surprise me that DeAngelo was sent down because of, AV. :)

Yeah , I don't think this one is on Gorton, I think his hand was forced because AV's usage of ADA is slim to none in games. You might as well give him big minutes in the AHL while the big club shakes things out. I don't think the team we are watching now will be the same a month from now. So if he is just biding his time till that happens fine but if this is permanent then that will suck.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I was surprised like you guys this morning, @nevesis - I don`t like this move at all - it just feels bad.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It is largely on Gorton because if he has a problem with AV’s usage he can tell him what he wants or get rid of him

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It is largely on Gorton because if he has a problem with AV’s usage he can tell him what he wants or get rid of him

I don't want to argue too vehemently because I don't want to defend Gorton too much. However, I don't think it's the place of a GM to demand players usage. That's micromanaging and in turn creates a bigger can of worms. Obviously, if there's a problem in that way the proper way is to shit- can the coach and get someone that's on the same page. I would certainly be all for that.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We don`t have 6 mil. cap space @nevesis - and that scouts follow players in a season is normal - it happens all the time in this league.
Who are we suppose to move for him, Kreider?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
We don`t have 6 mil. cap space @nevesis - and that scouts follow players in a season is normal - it happens all the time in this league.
Who are we suppose to move for him, Kreider?

You wouldn't trade Kreider for him straight up? Not saying that is what would get it done, but Duchene is a far superior talent than Kreider.

The cap isn't the issue, it would be a trade and salary would be moved to bring him here.

But, we can move this discussion to the roster building thread. :)

Reactions: Ori

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You wouldn't trade Kreider for him straight up? Not saying that is what would get it done, but Duchene is a far superior talent than Kreider.

The cap isn't the issue, it would be a trade and salary would be moved to bring him here.

But, we can move this discussion to the roster building thread. :)
Far superior based on what exactly?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I agree with u with that reasoning. I like Matt D. a lot, but if that happen it will cost us. It depends what we need to pay to get him here, and I`ve a notion that Avalanche GM will ask too much in return like a #1 pick in 2018 draft, and it`s not worth that - since we have so many good high talented players next summer. But it explains that Avalanche had a hard time to move Matt D., because it`s has been a topic for quite a while here on HF boards - in the trade section. :)

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
My problem isn’t so much with DeAngelo going down, though I do think it’s a bad move.

The real issue is the same as Holden being 7D out of camp and the suddenly being 2D. DeAngelo was playing with McD in games we desperately needed to win - now he’s not even good enough for the league? Where is the consistency in the evaluation of these players? How does one go from 7D to 2D and then someone else go from 7D to 2D to the AHL? It’s like the people running this team have never seen these guys before. It’s idioicy. We don’t have points to waste - why were people who were judged to be scratches or minor league talents playing big minutes?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I said from day 1 that they kept the wrong RHD out of camp.

(And also that DeAngelo shouldn't have been one of the two pieces for Stepan, although who knows if there were other possible assets available in the deal.)

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Is it ultimately AV's fault though? Is he the one assigning guys to the wolfpack? I would think that Gorton has the final say.

I think it has to be a mutual decision. If I had to guess, I'd say it's unlikely Gorts made this move without AV's input. Besides, if AV was confident in DeAngelo, DeAngelo wouldn't have been the #7 getting little else besides PP time.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm in the "don't freak out" camp.

Forget AV, Holden, Staal, ect. To me it's irrelevant. Sending ADA is the smart LONG term move.

We weren't expected to be a bottom feeder. You don't want to add pressure on a promising young Dman who just turned 22 to turn this around. If the ship is sinking, keep him away and let him develop his game w/ big minutes away from the unforgiving burn of the spotlight. If the ship continues down this path, we'll sell some pieces and bring him back up later in the year when the team has accepted it's fate and there's less pressure (and probably a new coach).

Keeping him up is an unnecessary risk that can lead to stunting a young player's development. The kid seems to have all the tools. Let him build his toolbox in a suitable environment and we'll go from there.

I see where you're coming from, but don't think it applies to DeAngelo. He's not a fragile little bird. He's a headstrong dude who'd probably get better and better as time goes by in the NHL. Unfortunately for him, AV is not giving him that chance right now.

We can only hope this decision is being made in an effort to showcase Holden for a possible trade. If Holden doesn't play, his value drops. This is what I'll cling to.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Are u frustrated @Revel ? It`s a rough time and I know it`s an unusual situation for us in the bottom half of the table, but we knew that is going to happen and we know AV very well. JT. Miller was sent down earlier too - I would not evaluate DeAngelo based on AV decision - if he was successful or not - it`s too early, but that is AV in a nutshell.

Reactions: Revel

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
One is a top prospect in the organization, the other is a old defensman on his last legs..I don't see the comparison.
I don't want to argue too vehemently because I don't want to defend Gorton too much. However, I don't think it's the place of a GM to demand players usage. That's micromanaging and in turn creates a bigger can of worms. Obviously, if there's a problem in that way the proper way is to ****- can the coach and get someone that's on the same page. I would certainly be all for that.

I agree with this, although the situation probably gets dicey when the discussion isn't so much about minutes/utilization and it more about sending a guy down or not. For the latter, I'd imagine this is an agreement between all parties.

Reactions: Revel

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So smart dealing for a top righty AHL dman moving one of our few depth forwards that can play nhl mins 2 days before demoting a top righty dman to Hartford. Brilliant.

Pionk getting third pair mins in the AHL now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad