Recalled/Assigned: Tony DeAngelo back to Wolfpack

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's ready now.

Why are we giving garbage like Holden these minutes?

I just don't understand either but whatever. ADA is ready for the show, he played 1.5 years in the AHL and got promoted to the NHL last season for the final half season, and he played fine this year. There was no reason to send him back to the disgrace Wolf Pack so he can ride the bus again.

That's not how you develop top prospects, that's how you piss them off and ruin their development. For what..to play Holden? Okay

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
AV is ruining careers of players who have trouble sticking with other teams.
Trouble Sticking???

you realize he was a prospect in Tampas system a couple years ago when they had the best D core in the league...
Then in Arizona he finished the year on the team..

Its called prospect development. Guys dont just magically turn into NHL DMen. They have to be given an actual chance.. not just 5 mins of PP time and no 5v5 time

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Trouble Sticking???

you realize he was a prospect in Tampas system a couple years ago when they had the best D core in the league...
Then in Arizona he finished the year on the team..

Its called prospect development. Guys dont just magically turn into NHL DMen. They have to be given an actual chance.. not just 5 mins of PP time and no 5v5 time

Right.

I've also heard the same story for all the other players "he destroyed" who had been on up to 5 teams in only a 2-3 year period before AV decided to destroy their careers.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not big fan of not sinking or swimming with this kid up here. Its not like lias or filip . Those guys really need to develop.
DeAngelo should be playing in top 6. For a moment this summer i thought holden would have been traded by now and both Pionk and/or Denagelo would have been getting steady minutes with the big club .
I don't wanna hate on holden because for what he makes he's not horrible but he is neither the present or the future for this club. DeAngelo should be

Reactions: Nickmo82

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Maybe one has to come to the conclusion that ADA is probably not that good. He’s a former first round pick now on his third team. (I highlite that he was a former first round pick because they are usually given every chance to succeed). While not a throw- in to the Stepan deal, he was clearly a lesser part of it, and Gorton probably wanted to lose Stepan’s cap hit to get Shattenkirk and have more flexibility down the road.

You can hate the coach and GM all you want, but both of them had every incentive for ADA to get significant minutes on the big team.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't understand the outrage here. DeAngelo isn't learning anything by playing 5 minutes a night on a bad hockey team. He's much better served playing 20 minutes a night in Hartford in all situations.
I think the concern is that a guy like D’Angelo should be playing more than five mins a night. Maybe they’ll ‘showcase’ Holden to make room but I, for one, am dubious.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
AV is ruining careers of players who have trouble sticking with other teams.

Maybe one has to come to the conclusion that ADA is probably not that good. He’s a former first round pick now on his third team. (I highlite that he was a former first round pick because they are usually given every chance to succeed). While not a throw- in to the Stepan deal, he was clearly a lesser part of it, and Gorton probably wanted to lose Stepan’s cap hit to get Shattenkirk and have more flexibility down the road.

You can hate the coach and GM all you want, but both of them had every incentive for ADA to get significant minutes on the big team.

Sir I already explained this.

AV's system is so much too blame, players bust before they are thrown in as projects in trades where we dump older players with bad contracts for peanuts.

AV is too blame for all of these busts. Even ones that will be here in future salary dumps of Sather era contacts.

I'm on the bandwagon now amigos. Send the likes my way X1000

Reactions: Ail

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think the concern is that a guy like D’Angelo should be playing more than five mins a night. Maybe they’ll ‘showcase’ Holden to make room but I, for one, am dubious.

I'm not against trading last years whipping boy, but I don't think teams showcase players so much anymore. It's the video tape era. People know what we have. The rookies aren't sitting starry eyed playing for the scouts in the big city to finally prove themselves to Papa on the farm anymore.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
If we're going to suck anway, I'd much rather see him in the NHL. At some point, you have to learn to play aginst NHLers. Playing big minutes in the AHL will help, but he has to work through his growing pains with the big club.

I didn't see anything from him that warranted a demotion. Can't believe we're benching him for Holden.

Reactions: Off Sides

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Sir I already explained this.

AV's system is so much too blame, players bust before they are thrown in as projects in trades where we dump older players with bad contracts for peanuts.

AV is too blame for all of these busts. Even ones that will be here I future salary dumps from Sather era contacts.

I'm on the bandwagon now amigos. Send the likes my way X1000

Go check out the boards for other teams that have an underperforming young player, especially someone that was a former first rounder from not that long ago. The coach always get blamed, yet said player almost never gets better when a new coach comes around or he’s traded to a new team. ADA’s prior two teams didn’t think much of him and he didn’t bring back a stellar return on his own like Adam Larsson. Teams don’t give up on young defenseman so easily unless they’re getting an outsized return. So it’s likely that ADA is the problem and not AV or the GM.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If we're going to suck anway, I'd much rather see him in the NHL. At some point, you have to learn to play aginst NHLers. Playing big minutes in the AHL will help, but he has to work through his growing pains with the big club.

I didn't see anything from him that warranted a demotion. Can't believe we're benching him for Holden.

Yeah don't let AV ruin his breakout on his fourth team.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Go check out the boards for other teams that have an underperforming young player, especially someone that was a former first rounder from not that long ago. The coach always get blamed, yet said player almost never gets better when a new coach comes around or he’s traded to a new team. ADA’s prior two teams didn’t think much of him and he didn’t bring back a stellar return on his own like Adam Larsson. Teams don’t give up on young defenseman so easily unless they’re getting an outsized return. So it’s likely that ADA is the problem and not AV or the GM.

No shit friend

This guy amirite? He thinks AV isn't the entire issue. I mean lord. Come on fellas

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not against trading last years whipping boy, but I don't think teams showcase players so much anymore. It's the video tape era. People know what we have. The rookies aren't sitting starry eyed playing for the scouts in the big city to finally prove themselves to Papa on the farm anymore.
Yep. I agree. That’s why I think it’s unlikely they’re showcasing Holden. I think the Rangers see Holden as a core guy. Or at least, a regular. Which is pretty uninspiring. He’s fine but at best he doesn’t add much of anything.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yep. I agree. That’s why I think it’s unlikely they’re showcasing Holden. I think the Rangers see Holden as a core guy. Or at least, a regular. Which is pretty uninspiring. He’s fine but at best he doesn’t add much of anything.

Oh def. He's meh... no more no less.

Also, sometimes when I reference something about let's say "showcasing" in the modern era, forgive me if you weren't insinuating what I presented, because a lot of people talk about showcasing/fear of playing in New York etc. and they still seem to think this is roaring 20s New York.

Many of these players have sponsorship deals since they left middle school.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we need to find NHL minutes for him, he'd be playing no less than 15 per game for my team, but I think one problem we have is that Shattenkirk takes his minutes. They fill the same role within a hockey team, and Shattenkirk is right now much better at it.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
This move seems kind of stupid, and downright counter intuitive. DeAngelo doesn't really have much more if anything to learn in the AHL, and while i'll concede that its a judgement call if he is ready for the big club, he at least have to be given the chance in order to assess that. And from the usage of him, he was never really given a shot (and while i would consider him "raw", i didn't think that he looked that out of place in the fleeting moments he was used).

I guess its a signal that AV is definitely staying, and that he is molding the team in his old, tired and utterly flawed style.. leaning on his veterans.. probably with the same success that he had in our last playoffs... *sigh*

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
At least maybe they call someone up to play with Buch on the 4th line for like 10 minutes a game. That will likely be seen as good for their development too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad