Value of: Tomas Tatar at 50%

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
this is a god idea for the Habs, he's overpaid for sure but the retention would make him a value contract and I don't think the money matters at all to the Habs for the term he has left. I'm not sure if Vegas just overpaid for him, but his own prior trade might be a good comparable to what you might get, which would make the net Pacioretty trade proceeds a steal

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
this is a god idea for the Habs, he's overpaid for sure but the retention would make him a value contract and I don't think the money matters at all to the Habs for the term he has left. I'm not sure if Vegas just overpaid for him, but his own prior trade might be a good comparable to what you might get, which would make the net Pacioretty trade proceeds a steal

His cap hit is 4.8m, if he can return his former self (45+ pts & 20+ goals) then the habs should be able to move him without retention.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
His cap hit is 4.8m, if he can return his former self (45+ pts & 20+ goals) then the habs should be able to move him without retention.
sure, if. He's more valuable with the retention either way, if the Leafs were in the same position (not going to be good for the next couple of years, cap space to spare) I'd be wanting to flex the financial muscle and get the best return

keep in mind I'm the opposite of a Habs fan, I'm happy for you to not get the best return

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Not a big playoff performer and performance has been dwindling down the last couple of years.

Having said that at 50% there would definitely be a lot of interest, at that price he can be on your third line and doesn't even have to produce much.

Probably a first and decent prospect.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’d do Devin Shore and a first for him. Maybe another prospect. Bad end of the year but still a consistent 20+ goal scorer.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He returned a 1st, 2nd and 3rd when he was having a down year.

If he rebounds, he should get at least something like that

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What would you give for Tatar at 2.4? I'm assuming the Habs will keep him for now, but they are loaded with wingers right now.
well that didn't take long now did it ?

not that I am opposed but I'm pretty sure we are going to give him a chance to see how it plays out in montreal. If he pots 15-20, that would be pretty good.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's still useless and won't be done especially with the number of years left on his contract.
It's useless to get more value? 20 goalscorers with term are good players. Please tell me what else the habs will spend their cap space on.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I highly doubt he can return a first + if he goes back to being just a 20 goal 40-45 point player. I think everyone knew that was an over payment and Tatar isnt a "missing" piece for a contending team. Second + B prospect is probably the highest he will get if he isnt on pace to break 50.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Habs don't need the cap space for the next 3 years anyway. A back to form Tatar 50% retained is very very attractive to contenders.
It's not about cap space, it's about the Habs paying nearly 8 million bucks over that time for Tatar to play for someone else. Business owners don't often appreciate or like giving millions away like that.

Reactions: beowulf

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's useless to get more value? 20 goalscorers with term are good players. Please tell me what else the habs will spend their cap space on.

Tava...oh. :sarcasm:

If its a sticking point/you can get more out of the deal, sure, retain. Habs should be loaded with ELCs for the next 4 years that would easily offset the retention.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's not about cap space, it's about the Habs paying nearly 8 million bucks over that time for Tatar to play for someone else. Business owners don't often appreciate or like giving millions away like that.

If it helps their team win, they should want it, but yes I know it probably won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad