Value of: Tomas Tatar at 50%

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I’d do Devin Shore and a first for him. Maybe another prospect. Bad end of the year but still a consistent 20+ goal scorer.
Yeah I would not do Shore and a 1st as a Stars fan. He looked straight up bad in Vegas and I would want to see him play out half the season in MTL before I even consider making a move for him. Even then I think Shore + 1st is pushing it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's the only way that Vegas would be make the deal....to shed cap, so Tatar had to be included Even with the Patches extension, Vegas has cap for a good UFA next season.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's useless to get more value? 20 goalscorers with term are good players. Please tell me what else the habs will spend their cap space on.
Last year they didn't come close to the cap and they won't this year. Molson is about the money so he is not going to be paying for a player he does not have on his team for three years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Last year they didn't come close to the cap and they won't this year. Molson is about the money so he is not going to be paying for a player he does not have on his team for three years.
When he will get a better return which will help him get even more money in the future, I dont see why he wouldn't.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Bad idea right now. Why not first see if he can bounce back? Doubt his value is getting any lower.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not a big playoff performer and performance has been dwindling down the last couple of years.

Having said that at 50% there would definitely be a lot of interest, at that price he can be on your third line and doesn't even have to produce much.

Probably a first and decent prospect.
I doubt he gets a first and decent prospect. You be lucky to get a first with rentention. Teams would rather get a better guy if they are using their first

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Bad idea right now. Why not first see if he can bounce back? Doubt his value is getting any lower.
bounce back to what? he's a very good top9 winger. he barely put up top 6 number once! if im the habs i give him alot of ice time, try to put him in realy good position, hopefully he puts up point 45ish, you retain 25-30% for 2 season and trade him at the deadline for the best offer. Next season we will be able to put Drouin on the Wing, Domi will also be there... i'd rather develop an other guy like Lehk on the 3LW!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
bounce back to what? he's a very good top9 winger. he barely put up top 6 number once! if im the habs i give him alot of ice time, try to put him in realy good position, hopefully he puts up point 45ish, you retain 25-30% for 2 season and trade him at the deadline for the best offer. Next season we will be able to put Drouin on the Wing, Domi will also be there... i'd rather develop an other guy like Lehk on the 3LW!

Exactly. There's no point in trying to trade him right away since he's coming off a flop of a stint in Vegas. I'd definitely look to trade him at some point, possibly with retention, but we should first try to give him a chance to get his career back on track so we don't need to just dump him for nothing.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Exactly. There's no point in trying to trade him right away since he's coming off a flop of a stint in Vegas. I'd definitely look to trade him at some point, possibly with retention, but we should first try to give him a chance to get his career back on track so we don't need to just dump him for nothing.
oh for sure not right now. you wanna increase his value with top minutes he still has 3 years, so if he bounces back you, i'd honestly trade him at this deadline personnaly, but yeah his lower value no matter what would be a 2nd round pick, so lets hold on to him until we can increase his value, if not just scrap him at one of the deadline for a 2nd round pick with little to no retention!

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
To get even more value? Habs can afford it.

You have to consider opportunity cost. Given the ages and contracts of Price and Weber the Habs would ideally like to be competitive before those guys become complete albatrosses. Fortunes can change quickly and fanbases have little patience for lengthy rebuilds; as bad as things look for the Canadiens at the moment all it takes is some prospects to hit, maybe a lottery win, and a judicious trade or two and they can be right back in the running. Two years from now if they look like a team on the rise and still have plenty of cap space they might be an attractive destination for whatever big name free agents are available at that time; blowing that cap space now when they don’t have to just to get another pick or a slightly better prospect for Tatar simply isn’t worth it.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Next season we will be able to put Drouin on the Wing, Domi will also be there... i'd rather develop an other guy like Lehk on the 3LW!

Honestly I like Drouin better at RW. At least in Tampa he seemed to be more of a scoring threat on that side while on the left he was more of a pass-first player. So you do have some flexibility with where you play him (as long as it’s not at center.)

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Honestly I like Drouin better at RW. At least in Tampa he seemed to be more of a scoring threat on that side while on the left he was more of a pass-first player. So you do have some flexibility with where you play him (as long as it’s not at center.)
problem is we have too much LH Wingers... if drouin plays RW i want a RH Center... Wich is why i was realy happy about Suzuki! RH Centers are realy rare!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He returned a 1st, 2nd and 3rd when he was having a down year.

If he rebounds, he should get at least something like that
Value isn't in a vacuum though. The Wings found one team willing to pay that last year in last years market. That doesn't mean there will be a team this year willing to give up a similar package. Markets change a lot year to year.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
problem is we have too much LH Wingers... if drouin plays RW i want a RH Center... Wich is why i was realy happy about Suzuki! RH Centers are realy rare!

The big thing with Drouin is you want to put him with other players who can think the game at a high level, or who at the very least have good anticipation and awareness. Nothing more frustrating than watching a guy like Drouin thread a seemingly impossible pass, only for the play to fall apart because the recipient didn’t think the pass was possible either and wasn’t ready for it. So I wouldn’t be worried about the handedness of Drouin’s center so much as his hockey IQ.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Don’t see the Habs moving him until the TDL, if at all.
The retention brings him down to almost the cost they were paying Pacioretty, which makes him an affordable filler so the Habs don’t have to rush the kids coming up.
If Tatar is playing good on his last year, or if the kids develop faster than expected, I can see them moving him 2020 TDL.
But before that, not really.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The big thing with Drouin is you want to put him with other players who can think the game at a high level, or who at the very least have good anticipation and awareness. Nothing more frustrating than watching a guy like Drouin thread a seemingly impossible pass, only for the play to fall apart because the recipient didn’t think the pass was possible either and wasn’t ready for it. So I wouldn’t be worried about the handedness of Drouin’s center so much as his hockey IQ.
Good news suzukis best assets is his hockey IQ and how fast he processes the game, he might or might not fill up his potential but a RH center prospect with these attributes is very exiting!

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I’m wondering the same thing. If he’s having an ok season (20/20), I could see a team biting for a late first and B prospect at 4.8M.

I wouldn't count on anything until next summer. Teams aren't usually looking for players with term at the deadline. If he returns to form I think a 1st is a little steep. I would expect a 2nd and a B prospect or a 2nd and a 3rd.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Tatar is what he is, A 40+ LW Even Tatar @ $2.4 mil for the next 3 years isn't going to net Montreal any more then if they deal him at his full $4.8 mil.

A 40pt winger at $2.4 million is a great add to a contending team that's up against the cap. That could get you a couple picks.

A 40pt winger at $4.8 million is a cap dump that you have to pay someone to take (Vegas notwithstanding...).

Reactions: stanley25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad