Value of: Tomas Tatar at 50%

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Montreal would be wise to let Tatar have a season to improve his value before they try to shop him. Will have 2 years on his contract still too

Reactions: HOPE

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Montreal would be wise to let Tatar have a season to improve his value before they try to shop him. Will have 2 years on his contract still too

I've watched some of Tatar's work out from this summer, looks strong as a bull and has newly found will! He didn't do that bad when he had his time with the Knights...

Just looking at the situation I might expect a good 20-30 goal season from him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He needs to use this new opportunity to rebound before he's worth anything more than a mid-pick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I've watched some of Tatar's work out from this summer, looks strong as a bull and has newly found will! He didn't do that bad when he had his time with the Knights...

Just looking at the situation I might expect a good 20-30 goal season from him.
Tatar always does an insane summer workout.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Tatar doesn't have much value at the moment and this will need to be revisited at the deadline.

I also don't think the Habs can even retain 50% when trading him. I think it's a max of 50% of his contract that can be retained (50% of original 5.3M cap hit).

Montreal is gonna be a tire fire this season and likely the following season. Tatar will likely be kept around till next season or the season after as insulation for the youngsters.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some team would give up a 2nd round pick for him without retention if Montreal really wanted to dump him. Not worth retaining $7m+ over three years.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Tatar doesn't have much value at the moment and this will need to be revisited at the deadline.

I also don't think the Habs can even retain 50% when trading him. I think it's a max of 50% of his contract that can be retained (50% of original 5.3M cap hit).

Montreal is gonna be a tire fire this season and likely the following season. Tatar will likely be kept around till next season or the season after as insulation for the youngsters.

No,

Salary retained refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.
A team that traded a player and maintains salary must wait at least a full calendar year before they are eligible to reaquire that player.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
No,

Salary retained refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.
A team that traded a player and maintains salary must wait at least a full calendar year before they are eligible to reaquire that player.

I’m trying to remember who it is but there’s an example of a player who had his salary retained twice and it was for more than 50%

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I love how Tatar is seen as like a total scrub now. The guy has 4 straight seasons of 20+ with a 25 and 29 in there on a mediocre at best team in DRW and a putrid PP over there. He still is and will be a pretty decent goal scorer...

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
They have alot of wingers rigt now but it doesn't mean they are all Tarasenko's.....

Gallagher
Domi
Drouin
Armia
Tatar
Byron
Hudon
Scherbak
Lehkonen
Shaw
Deslauriers

Don’t they have Drouin at C? Forgot about scherbak....... my comment was more towards the quality lol...... that to me isn’t exactly “loaded”.......

But yes, they have plenty of warm bodies to plug into their lineup

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Kings have a little over 2m in space and can move Thompson and/or Clifford to clear room if needed.

The problem is finding a deal that fits both teams. Kings won't give up tons for Tatar and Montreal fans only know one name on the Kings...Vilardi (which won't happen).

Not going to disagree.

Clifford would be a good add for Montreal IMO.

As an outsider...

Tatar@50%

For

Clifford
Thomas

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
IMO it’s a little bit of both of what people have been saying. He’ll be able to get minute in both 5v5 and odd man advantage in Montreal. So it’s probably the best idea to see if he can bounce back at least from a statistical stand point then retain on him heavily. Maybe not 50% but some where in the 20-40% range and flip him for some more solid value. It’s not like Montreal needs that cap space at all right now or in the next two seasons, but at least give him to the deadline to see if he can boost his value. I think that’d be the smartest course of action.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Kings have a little over 2m in space and can move Thompson and/or Clifford to clear room if needed.

The problem is finding a deal that fits both teams. Kings won't give up tons for Tatar and Montreal fans only know one name on the Kings...Vilardi (which won't happen).
Ya and you won't get Tatar for those two players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad