Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
even better, a #1 C so Plekanec can play 2nd line, in EVERY situation.

We have Ag and we still haven't cut pleks minutes, or DDs for that matter. We NEEDED to fire the coach and not change our roster so much. Hate to say this but Martin, or Carbs would have been better coaches with our lineup from last year. No way even with bad goal tending do you go 5-19. Thats a whole other level of awful.

I am resigned to having pleks on the team but I hope he decides his wingers can also shoot the puck, because he got mighty selfish after november in that regard.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Really good post. But none of this would have been required if bergy had ****ing found a young no 2 c the last four years.

And pleks was a lot younger with kovy and cammy.

After plek's last year fall off and given his age now I fear that he is going to be a negative for rad. A player that has come halfway round the world and needs to adjust.

That's why people have been so hard with this management towards their usage of Galchenyuk.
Everyone understands taking your time with a young player. That's why nobody ever really argued that we needed to play Galchenyuk as our top 2 center right from his rookie year.
Most have argued he should have been getting a top 2 center role no sooner than his 3rd year, and by then, he would be comfortable at center from his previous years in lower lines, instead of just putting him there randomly and sporadically with very little planning behind.

The vast majority here assumed, once we drafted Galch, that we would focus building our team up front around him.
We had a new management coming in, there was zero pressure to perform right away, in fact, most expected a few years of rebuild process.
So people thought, year one, Galchenyuk would center at the most the 3rd line. Considering we had Plek-DD-Eller, and Galch had performed well on the wing before, it was only normal to keep Galch on the wing for his rookie year. Anyways it was half a season due to the lockout, he was coming off a major injury, and we had three centers already. DD was set to become an UFA during the summer, so it all made sense. Use Galch at the wing, see what Eller could do in a more offensive role to possibly take over DD's minutes when we let him go next summer.

The following season, we would have Plek again as #1, Eller gets a shot at #2 and Galchenyuk would start his development at center on the 3rd line in sheltered minutes. From there, you would know that in the off season, you let DD go and focus on bringing top 6 wingers. Good or bad, you keep Galch at center.
Where we finish isn't overly important as we are in a rebuilding mode..right?

In year three, our free agent signings/trades depends on how things went the previous season. Galch and Eller fight it off at camp to see who gets the 2nd center spot, or we adapt as the season progress, give more opportunities to the hotter center. We do, however, give all three centers their fair share of rotation on the PP.

By year four, hopefully Galch is ready to take over top line center spot.

Now, maybe by then, he would have already developed quite well and taken over the top spot. Depends on his performance.

I think that's what most of the posters imagined would happen once we drafted Galch. Now, it's also possible that along the way, Galch just struggles too much and we need to change the plan. That's a possibility that also needs to be mentioned.
But we didn't even try and see. Instead we re-signed DD to a ridiculous deal, penciling him as a top 2 center for pretty much another 4 years, which meant keeping Galch on the wing longer and not developing much of Eller's offensive game. Not only that, but finally, when we decided that we would use him as a center, just how much did this organize plan??? Hmm...well, they decided to give him a 3rd line center who has always been uncomfortable on the wing and who's offensive potential was barely explored, and the player with the worst reputation in the NHL who just got bought out....
Wow. Way to put all the odds in his corner. I mean really. Are you trying to make him fail so you can then say ''see..we tried and he's not good enough??''...How are you not bringing in good reliable wingers for him to play with when you finally decide to make him a center..?..

So ya, it's not just Bergy messing up bringing in another top 2 center. He didn't even have to. He drafted a big center with the potential of being a top one but barely even explored that option. Absolute insanity.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's a number 1b c on a team that needs their centres to create scoring chances. Of course he's on a line where he is responsible for creating scoring chances.

Absurd post.

The only absurd thing is suggesting he's a 1B on a team

I don't even know what that means

Plekanec isn't a good playmaker, there's a reason why the team has struggled with finding him linemates consistently

This isn't hate, it's just the truth

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The only absurd thing is suggesting he's a 1B on a team

I don't even know what that means

Plekanec isn't a good playmaker, there's a reason why the team has struggled with finding him linemates consistently

This isn't hate, it's just the truth

It's pretty simple, he's a complimentary player. He can't be the driving force on a top 2 line, or you're gonna have a bad time.

The proof is in the pudding, all of his success over the years has been with guys like Kovalev, Cammalleri, or when paired with Pacioretty and Gallagher. He needs someone else to be the primary focus of opposing defenders.

When he's the primary weapon on a line, he still produces, but he doesn't give you 6M worth. This is why I think it's key to have him with Radulov.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't give a damn how Pleks performs during preseason games. I do give a rather large damn what he does as the season drags on and the team needs a morale boost. Last season was almost unforgivable. The team was falling apart and its leadership had checked out. There's simply no excuse for the apparent sulking we saw from guys like Plekanec.

But that was then. All will be forgiven if he has a strong season and solid playoffs. Not expecting him to become Sid Crosby; I'll be happy with consistent 2nd-line production.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't give a damn how Pleks performs during preseason games. I do give a rather large damn what he does as the season drags on and the team needs a morale boost. Last season was almost unforgivable. The team was falling apart and its leadership had checked out. There's simply no excuse for the apparent sulking we saw from guys like Plekanec.

But that was then. All will be forgiven if he has a strong season and solid playoffs. Not expecting him to become Sid Crosby; I'll be happy with consistent 2nd-line production.
He has a lot to prove and hasn't started proving it. That's the problem from my side of things.

He was really lost yesterday, if he and Rads don't find chemistry - what do we do then?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He has a lot to prove and hasn't started proving it. That's the problem from my side of things.

He was really lost yesterday, if he and Rads don't find chemistry - what do we do then?

He did have a lot to prove....

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov

That wouldn't be a problem at all in my book especially seeing Lehkonen getting 9 shots on goal with Galchenyuk and that play we saw last night between Galchenyuk-Radulov.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher was a very effective 2-way line last year for about 30 games.
Plekanec register 24 points in 25 games to starts the season last year with them.

That's a combination i would like to see...maybe more than what we're seeing now.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He did have a lot to prove....

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov

That wouldn't be a problem at all in my book especially seeing Lehkonen getting 9 shots on goal with Galchenyuk and that play we saw last night between Galchenyuk-Radulov.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher was a very effective 2-way line last year for about 30 games.
Plekanec register 24 points in 25 games to starts the season last year with them.

That's a combination i would like to see...maybe more than what we're seeing now.
Pleks and Patches generally look terrible together, though. They were very hot to start the year, yeah - but actually didn't produce all that consistently.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

How can a 2nd line C carry a 18 wheeler falling off a cliff ? Come on.

Also, realistically, 2nd line production is like 40-50 points. Tops. More than that he's more in the top line tier. If he provides strong defensive play on top of it, he then becomes even more valuable. You guys are very hard on him, the guy is as solid and reliable in all facets of the 200ft game, but he isn't Toews, and is paid accordingly, cut the guy some slack. Even when he dosen't score points he contributes A LOT, unlike others like Desharnais and Pacioretty.

Watch him play with Radulov and Lehkonen, Plek is playing third man in and stays close to the dedenders to help defensively while Radulov is let loose and Lehkonen is down low chasing pucks, making things happen. This line works very well and will be a very good one at 5v5. I'm not sure why you guys are that harsh with your critics of Plek's style, he HAS HAD and always HAVE extremely tough deployment, year-in year-out, wins key faceoffs, he's hard to play against (in a survey amongst NHLers he's one of the players most hate to play against), scores a fair amount of points and goals. To me, he is a stud.

Sure he layed an egg last season but so did 90% of the team.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pleks and Patches generally look terrible together, though. They were very hot to start the year, yeah - but actually didn't produce all that consistently.

Just saying there's still tons of options out there.
And last year it's 37pts for Max and 34 for Plek in the 45 games they played together.

I would prefer to see Radulov (and Lehkonen for that matter) on a more offensively oriented line.
I expect Plekanec's line to have a ******** of defensive work considering our bottom 6.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How can a 2nd line C carry a 18 wheeler falling off a cliff ? Come on.

Also, realistically, 2nd line production is like 40-50 points. Tops. More than that he's more in the top line tier. If he provides strong defensive play on top of it, he then becomes even more valuable. You guys are very hard on him, the guy is as solid and reliable in all facets of the 200ft game, but he isn't Toews, and is paid accordingly, cut the guy some slack. Even when he dosen't score points he contributes A LOT, unlike others like Desharnais and Pacioretty.

Watch him play with Radulov and Lehkonen, Plek is playing third man in and stays close to the dedenders to help defensively while Radulov is let loose and Lehkonen is down low chasing pucks, making things happen. This line works very well and will be a very good one at 5v5. I'm not sure why you guys are that harsh with your critics of Plek's style, he HAS HAD and always HAVE extremely tough deployment, year-in year-out, wins key faceoffs, he's hard to play against (in a survey amongst NHLers he's one of the players most hate to play against), scores a fair amount of points and goals. To me, he is a stud.

Sure he layed an egg last season but so did 90% of the team.

Woah, woah, woah...

First of all...he's not a very good faceoff player, consistently below 50%...

As for this 'survey' of NHL players who said he's one of the most hated guys to play against...

I'd love to see a link to this 'survey'.

I know it doesn't exist, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Didn't we have that debat like 2 months ago? It was regarding something Marchand and Crosby said and at the end the argument was on how to interpret the message.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Didn't we have that debat like 2 months ago? It was regarding something Marchand and Crosby said and at the end the argument was on how to interpret the message.

Correct...but not sure how Marchand's misinterpreted comments have now turned into a survey taken by NHL players about Tomas Plekanec though lol

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Plek is burned for me (as a first or second liner), he's a quiter, starts well usually then fades away, remind me later if he's having a full season this time.. I'll be the 1st guy happy.. But i doubt it..

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
“I’m kind of sick about hearing that we’re a team that is just about Carey Price.” – Tomas Plekanec prior to the start of the 2015-16 season

I wonder what quote he'll have for us early this season.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Clearly between Chucky and Mitchell, we need better centers.

DD is barely AHL level, it's like playing Russian roulette everytime hes on the ice. Can't believe Hudon can't replace him in 10 games or so.

Pleky is done as a legitimate top 6 center (much like Markov is done as a top pairing D)

One solution is to use Pleky with SHAW and CARR
and to trade big for a real top 6 center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still very early - but so far, after 1 NHL regular season game and a handful of preseason games

I'm seeing virtually NO chemistry between Plekanec and Radulov/Lehkonen.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Still very early - but so far, after 1 NHL regular season game and a handful of preseason games

I'm seeing virtually NO chemistry between Plekanec and Radulov/Lehkonen.

For this reason alone I would not be against the idea of having Plekanec and Galchenyuk switch places.

For a really emotional guy, our coach sure seems to hate it when the players show emotion. I think that Galchenyuk and Radulov feed off of emotion and confidence where as Plekanec and Pacioretty are more low key steady eddy types you. They would be a very strong two way line that is capable of producing against the other teams best lines. On the other hand both are extremely sound defensively and he might want one of each on different lines to make each line a non liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad