Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
If the coaching staff is finally ready and realizes that Plekanec is better suited as the #2C on this team, playing 14-15 mins a game....

Then I'd be curious to know how Eller would perform under those same circumstances, at a fraction of the cost mind you.

IMO, you find some legit NHL wingers for either Plekanec or Eller in that role, and you're likely to get the same level of production while not suffering a drop-off defensively.

My bold.

I generally agree - I think if Eller centers 2 legit top 6 wingers + gets actual 2nd line minutes/PP deployment, he'd produce more than he ever has before. I don't think he hits Plek's point level, but it wouldn't be a massive difference. Additionally, that difference should be more than made up for with the return on Plekanec. In a trade, Plekanec brings back much more than Eller, and/or leaves us with more cap space. Obviously it depends on trade factor details, but the potential upside is much greater overall, IMHO.

I'd also be sad to see Plekanec go - he's always been a favourite of mine. Regarding him right now, I kind of feel like when I go to put on my absolute favourite T-shirt that I've had for ages, and notice it has finally developed a small hole in it. :(

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Plekanec is gonna come close to reaching the 60pts he's averaged for his career?

This is Plekanec's 12th NHL season, he's reached the 60pt plateau 3 times....I don't know if that's enough to call it an average, but whatever....

Furthermore....he's going to need a he'll of a finish this year to get to 60pts, and he's not going to benefit from getting his usual 18-20 mins per game

So we'll see about that...

Now you're grasping at straws and debate just for the sake of debating. Go check his stats.
If we take out his first two seasons where he was not used as a top 6 , he put up 469 points in 678 games played in his career . This gives you around 57 points for 82 games.
And he played with scrubs a big chunk of his career. You want him to have a strong finish this year? Yep playing with Lord Byron and Matteau screams offensive production.
Hmmm 3 times a loser in the ECF also.
I'm so glad we hitched our wagon to this player for so long.
Can we please go in a different direction now?
PLEASE

This Plekanec sucks in the playoffs myth was already put to silence around here a couple of times. Look at his stats:
He averages 0.66 PPG in the season and has 0.57 PPG in the playoffs . Yes he produces less in PO but this works for almost everyone in the league . Less scoring , games are tighter and so on .
So i don't know what you guys expect from him.

My guess is you expect too much from him, he's just doing his job every year on a constant base keeping it low profile.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i don't know how to reply to posts from a closed thread...but regarding Eller vs Plekanec

I have no idea if Eller could produce 40-45pts from a 2ND line like I think and know Plekanec can in that role

Because it's never been tried, I do know that the few opportunities Eller has had in a top 6 role and with top 6 wingers, he's produced points

So personally, that an experiment I'd like tried from now until the end of the year

We all know what we have with Plekanec....I'm not sure we can say the same for Eller

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Now you're grasping at straws and debate just for the sake of debating. Go check his stats.
If we take out his first two seasons where he was not used as a top 6 , he put up 469 points in 678 games played in his career . This gives you around 57 points for 82 games.
And he played with scrubs a big chunk of his career. You want him to have a strong finish this year? Yep playing with Lord Byron and Matteau screams offensive production.

This Plekanec sucks in the playoffs myth was already put to silence around here a couple of times. Look at his stats:
He averages 0.66 PPG in the season and has 0.57 PPG in the playoffs . Yes he produces less in PO but this works for almost everyone in the league . Less scoring , games are tighter and so on .

My guess is you expect too much from him, he's just doing his job every year on a constant base keeping it low profile.

Dude I'm simply pointing out the TEAM's highpoint with Plecky in the lead chair...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Dude I'm simply pointing out the TEAM's highpoint with Plecky in the lead chair...

Why do you have to blame one player for a team's sport?

Casparrety, DD and the others get a free pass?

The only guys on this team that pick it up a notch in the PO are PK and Lars .

So i don't get the people who wanna get rid of Eller , he's the only forward we got that can be dominant in the PO . The last trip to California was a great example of what i'm talking about.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
417 said:
Well i'm not very good at trade proposals

And I submit that's because you don't watch other teams, have no idea what other players are contributing to their teams beyond the numbers you can easily search, and have little/no idea what they mean to their teams beyond said numbers.

In other words, you lack a significant amount of perspective when it comes to both a) why you want to replace Plekanec, and b) what you think the effect would be.

417 said:
... he should of been moved 2-3yrs ago or at the very worst

Right, because of that big decline you identified 2-3 years ago... :laugh:

Should have. Has had one of the best seasons of his career since then. Not that you care.

417 said:
... If the Habs trade Plekanec, they don't necessarily NEED to upgrade on him...they could just build their roster differently, for example, using the roster moves listed above, the Habs could ice the following

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Lee-Eller-Okposo
Andrighetto-Danault-Brouwer

Is that so bad?

Yes. Considerably weaker down the middle at the most important position, and involving the unrealistic possibility of 3 changes to our top 9 involving players not currently in the organization and coveted by their current teams.

417 said:
Again, don't take these potential roster moves literally...i'm just spit balling, I have no idea if Isles would even be interested or if Okposo/Brouwer would ever sign here. But the idea that everything falls apart if Plekanec is moved is comical to be honest...he's not a core player on this team.

You're making up some notion of things "falling apart" or not. I'm suggesting that the team is better with Plekanec somewhere in the mix and minimal ("realistic") changes, and YOU are the one advocating tearing the whole thing apart to fix things.

417 said:
I guess you forgot David Desharnais hit 60pts with tons of usage a few years ago...

The problem isn't whether or not DD can produce points. All he's good at involves the offensive zone, specifically. The biggest problem with DD is everything that happens in the other two zones. Which Plekanec brings, btw, while providing the best defense from the centre position that we can currently deploy. Yes, including Eller. But DD achieving those numbers requires unusual levels of favouritism regarding his usage/deployment, so I'm not sure trotting out an outlier example makes your case. Not watching other teams leaves you with limited material to draw from, though, I understand.

417 said:
I mean come on...any player playng in a 1st line role should reasonably be close to achieving 60pts...you act like it's a PPG feat

So... Plekanec being reasonably close to 60 points should be meeting your expectations, especially because of how competently he plays in the other direction as well. But of course he doesn't. Your judgement of him remains clouded, 4 years after proclaiming the end of his useful days.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So i don't get the people who wanna get rid of Eller , he's the only forward we got that can be dominant in the PO . The last trip to California was a great example of what i'm talking about.

I'm on board with getting rid of anyone if the price is right. As for Eller in the PO's, last year he had 3 pts in 12 games, in his first 2 seasons with us he had 2 pts in 8 games. It was 2 years ago when he had his big production in the playoffs, 13 pts in 17 games. The rest of the time he's had 5 pts in 20 games. To me Eller is a guy that flashes good things but never remains consistent, always felt like he was going to break out but he never does. If he's our 3rd line center next year then that's fine, if they put him in the top 6, I'd be very worried. If they keep him it's got to be at center though, it was stupid to put him on the wing when he's shown in the past he doesn't do well there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And I submit that's because you don't watch other teams, have no idea what other players are contributing to their teams beyond the numbers you can easily search, and have little/no idea what they mean to their teams beyond said numbers.

In other words, you lack a significant amount of perspective when it comes to both a) why you want to replace Plekanec, and b) what you think the effect would be.

Right, because of that big decline you identified 2-3 years ago... :laugh:

Should have. Has had one of the best seasons of his career since then. Not that you care.

Yes. Considerably weaker down the middle at the most important position, and involving the unrealistic possibility of 3 changes to our top 9 involving players not currently in the organization and coveted by their current teams.

You're making up some notion of things "falling apart" or not. I'm suggesting that the team is better with Plekanec somewhere in the mix and minimal ("realistic") changes, and YOU are the one advocating tearing the whole thing apart to fix things.

The problem isn't whether or not DD can produce points. All he's good at involves the offensive zone, specifically. The biggest problem with DD is everything that happens in the other two zones. Which Plekanec brings, btw, while providing the best defense from the centre position that we can currently deploy. Yes, including Eller. But DD achieving those numbers requires unusual levels of favouritism regarding his usage/deployment, so I'm not sure trotting out an outlier example makes your case. Not watching other teams leaves you with limited material to draw from, though, I understand.

So... Plekanec being reasonably close to 60 points should be meeting your expectations, especially because of how competently he plays in the other direction as well. But of course he doesn't. Your judgement of him remains clouded, 4 years after proclaiming the end of his useful days.
I'm not good at trade proposals cause I don't watch other teams? Lol so you have a window into my personal life now?

I assure you, I watch plenty of hockey from around the NHL, which is why I think Plekanec is massively overrated around here

But I don't like making trade proposals because, I don't know, it's futile IMO...

-----
Also, you say I lack perspective on why I want to move Plekanec and what I think the effect would be?

Well perhaps in your opinion, but again, the time to move Plekanec has come and gone, so that's a moot point....as for what the effect would be?

I don't know....I'm pretty sure they'll be able to survive, but I'm sure you're going to tell me how they're going to crumble as a team because they traded away Tomas Plekanec

Kind of like how they folded after Price injury this year...if Im to believe you, Price and Plekanec have the exact same importance to this team
--------
As for wanting to move him 2-3yrs ago, I think you move a player who isn't a core member at the height of his value, hence in Plekanec's case, 2-3yrs ago

I didn't think I had to explain that....but clearly, you think moving a player at his lowest value or keeping him past his expiration date, is the better alternative

-------

You ask me to provide examples of players the Habs could acquire if they move Plekanec....I do exactly that and couch it by clearly explaining that I'm just spit balling here, AT YOUR REQUEST no less

And you predictably tell me that it's an unrealistic scenario to expect to acquire 3 players from teams that covet them (nevermind that 2 of those 3 players are pending UFA's)

So let me ask you a question....

Why the hell did you ask me to provide you with hypothetical names, if you were just going to tell me its not realistic???

-----

I've never advocated tearing apart anything, I even suggested several times that keeping Plekanec in a 2ND line role (behind Galchenyuk) but getting him legit NHL wingers would be fine by me. But considering Plekanec makes 6M per year, that's not very likely

So yes, I would consider what I think is a small downgrade from Plekanec to Eller, if it allowed me to get 2 proven wingers to play besides Eller

What's so unreasonable about that? Why does that make you so smug???

-----

Stop changing subjects....you laughed when I suggested that anyone with a reasonable amount of talent can produce 60pts with the amount of icetime Plekanec gets

And I used Desharnais, Cole as examples....now instead of addressing that, you've gone off on a tangent about DD's problem in D zone coverage

Completely irrelevant, it's just a poor attempt at deflecting.

----

Plekanec reasonably close to 60pts?

He's 14pts away right now, he hasn't scored in 12 consecutive games, he has 4 assists in that time span and he's no longer benefitting from sugar minutes he's had all year to amass the majority of those 46pts

So I guess we'll see if he gets reasonably close to those 60pts you're so fond of.

60pts is the new PPG around here looks like

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'm on board with getting rid of anyone if the price is right. As for Eller in the PO's, last year he had 3 pts in 12 games, in his first 2 seasons with us he had 2 pts in 8 games. It was 2 years ago when he had his big production in the playoffs, 13 pts in 17 games. The rest of the time he's had 5 pts in 20 games. To me Eller is a guy that flashes good things but never remains consistent, always felt like he was going to break out but he never does. If he's our 3rd line center next year then that's fine, if they put him in the top 6, I'd be very worried. If they keep him it's got to be at center though, it was stupid to put him on the wing when he's shown in the past he doesn't do well there.

Although it's interesting to read what fans say, I'd leave the wheeling and dealing to Bergevin. Plekanec has enjoyed a long and useful career with the Habs. It's too bad he never experienced playing on a great Habs team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Over all regular season career plus player

Over all play off career minus player.

I will use Tomass' own words after another poor play off performance "I played like a little girl"

Perimeter player who made the most of what he had to offer.

Not much left in the tank. Will be a liability at 6 mill a year in 017 and 018.

Would have been a smart trade at the deadline in 015.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Take a look at scoring in the NHL this year and last year and where Pleks ranks.

He's currently ranked 38th in the NHL in scoring among forwards from 2014 to now. 10 pts back of Pac who's currently tied for 23rd.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...2016&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=1&pos=F
Well what do you expect from a player who's been used as a #1C throughout that time?

If Galchenyuk continues to see ice as the #1C, do you not think it's a strong possibility he'll be ranked similar to what Plekanec is in the list provided?

Hell, with his talent, he'll probably even rank higher come this time next year.

Plekanec is a good player, I've never said the opposite, but I do think his production is directly related to the TOI he has (which I understand is true for most players), he's consistently been the most or 2ND most used forward on the Habs

So naturally, he'll rank up there (in the 30-40 range). But is he making players around him better? Or is he more benefitting from the circumstances he has to put up points?

Does anyone really think 60pts wouldn't be a cinch for Galchenyuk if he continued getting the same usage he's been getting at center?

Does anyone think Plekanec's production will remain what it's been when he's playing 14-15 mins a game as he has recently?

Again, even Desharnais was able to achieve 60pts in a season where he was the teams #1C...that doesn't really prove anything.

Plekanec's a good player, give him talented linemates (Pacioretty, Gallagher) and over the course of 82 games, he'll produce some points obviously.

But does such a role make the Habs a better team? I think not

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

I was not even talking about the pure offensive production. Eller is the only forward on the roster that can keep up with the physicality and the toughness when the PO come around . He's the only guy that is not pushed around and can actually push around himself guys along boards and in the crease to create space and scoring chances.

When we played the Kings, Ducks and Sharks on that US trip , he was clearly the most noticeable hab out there . Being able to compete with those big , heavy West teams.

We need more Eller's on this team not less...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
he's like Okposo, he gets points but you dont know how

Well I think I know how....

He's a good player, he's smart, has a great sense of anticipation, he also is placed in situations and with players that give him optimal chances to produce points.

but I don't think he produces points because he's particularly talented offensively, he's not a great playmaker, nor a great scorer, he catches goalies by surprise more than he beats them.

I know it comes off like I absolutely despise the guy, that's more me being spiteful towards certain people on this board...but while I think he's a good player and important to the team, I do think he's replaceable, both from within and potentially from the outside, so thats a possibility I would hope the GM explores

Especially after a year like this....the performances from the supposed leadership group (Pacioretty, Subban, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher) needs to be looked at carefully....

And for me, Plekanec ranks at the top in terms of leaders who've disappointed this year (followed closely by Pacioretty)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
At least we did not have to trade 2 1st round picks + 2 high 2nd round picks and a 11M salary (7.5 cap hit)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well what do you expect from a player who's been used as a #1C throughout that time?

If Galchenyuk continues to see ice as the #1C, do you not think it's a strong possibility he'll be ranked similar to what Plekanec is in the list provided?

Hell, with his talent, he'll probably even rank higher come this time next year.

Plekanec is a good player, I've never said the opposite, but I do think his production is directly related to the TOI he has (which I understand is true for most players), he's consistently been the most or 2ND most used forward on the Habs

So naturally, he'll rank up there (in the 30-40 range). But is he making players around him better? Or is he more benefitting from the circumstances he has to put up points?

Does anyone really think 60pts wouldn't be a cinch for Galchenyuk if he continued getting the same usage he's been getting at center?

Does anyone think Plekanec's production will remain what it's been when he's playing 14-15 mins a game as he has recently?

Again, even Desharnais was able to achieve 60pts in a season where he was the teams #1C...that doesn't really prove anything.

Plekanec's a good player, give him talented linemates (Pacioretty, Gallagher) and over the course of 82 games, he'll produce some points obviously.

But does such a role make the Habs a better team? I think not

You say you have nothing against him in particular but all you do is trying to diminish what he's accomplished. If i use your logic any plug would put up his numbers if given the opportunity to play first line minutes and good wingers.

We brought out stats that show that he ranks among the best centers in the entire league offensively and brings a consistent two-way play every night while killing penalties on top of that and you still think he's useless.

Just give it a rest...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Again, even Desharnais was able to achieve 60pts in a season where he was the teams #1C...that doesn't really prove anything

In '11-'12 when DD had 60 pts, that put him tied for 55th in the NHL in scoring for forwards. It seems like the past 2 years that goals are really down so that 60 pts is more impressive then it was just a few years ago though I'd have to look it up as to the actual goals per game, just that looking at the points leaders, we seem to have less forwards scoring 50/60+ points in the past 1 and this season.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...2012&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=0&pos=F

Do I thin Galchenyuk can match Pleks production? Sure but that means nothing. Instead of pitting them against one another, we need both, plus Gallagher and Pac, then we need 2 more. This team needs more talent, and Pleks has produced. I've said I'm all for trading him, but then we need to replace his production and we will still need 2 more top 6 forwards. If we haven't been able to get one, doesn't trying to get 3 seem a lot tougher then trying to get 2?

I was not even talking about the pure offensive production. Eller is the only forward on the roster that can keep up with the physicality and the toughness when the PO come around . He's the only guy that is not pushed around and can actually push around himself guys along boards and in the crease to create space and scoring chances.

When we played the Kings, Ducks and Sharks on that US trip , he was clearly the most noticeable hab out there . Being able to compete with those big , heavy West teams.

We need more Eller's on this team not less...

I think they need more talent first and foremost. The NHL is changing to a speed game, it remains to be seen if the Habs can win a cup with the smaller forwards or not, but they clearly need help in the top 6. I agree that Eller can withstand playing against the bigger players though.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If you don't expect the production from Plekanec of a player earning what he will earn in the next two years, you won't be disappointed. That just reeks of bad management from Bergevin, doesn't it?

In '11-'12 when DD had 60 pts, that put him tied for 55th in the NHL in scoring for forwards. It seems like the past 2 years that goals are really down so that 60 pts is more impressive then it was just a few years ago though I'd have to look it up as to the actual goals per game, just that looking at the points leaders, we seem to have less forwards scoring 50/60+ points in the past 1 and this season.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...2012&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=0&pos=F

Do I thin Galchenyuk can match Pleks production? Sure but that means nothing. Instead of pitting them against one another, we need both, plus Gallagher and Pac, then we need 2 more. This team needs more talent, and Pleks has produced. I've said I'm all for trading him, but then we need to replace his production and we will still need 2 more top 6 forwards. If we haven't been able to get one, doesn't trying to get 3 seem a lot tougher then trying to get 2?

I think they need more talent first and foremost. The NHL is changing to a speed game, it remains to be seen if the Habs can win a cup with the smaller forwards or not, but they clearly need help in the top 6. I agree that Eller can withstand playing against the bigger players though.

Plekanec, IMO, is no longer that 60 point C. Not the way he is playing a periphery game at even strength and it is even worse on the PP. McCaron could likely get as many points as Plekanec as a 2nd line C. I've personally soured on Plekanec and can't see us winning a Cup with him centering one of the top 2 lines.

If we had enough real depth for the top 6, Plekanec could;d really help this team as a 3rd line C. His secondary scoring would be more tangible than Eller's secondary scoring.

This whole in the past reference to Plekanec is dodgy given his age. It's unclear whether he would bounce back or just get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Take a look at scoring in the NHL this year and last year and where Pleks ranks.

He's currently ranked 38th in the NHL in scoring among forwards from 2014 to now. 10 pts back of Pac who's currently tied for 23rd.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...2016&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=1&pos=F

And Antichambre panel says he's a a mediocre 2nd line centre at best and some even say he's a 3rd line Centre. He's getting the Koivu treatment. To me, he's been a #1 Centre for the past few seasons and will be a solid 2nd line Centre for the next season or 2.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I'm not convinced that Mccaron would be ready for a full-time role as a 2nd line C next year, but, strictly to make a difference in what the opponent faces on a given night, I'd play the larger player there anyhow. Galchenyuk, McCaron and Eller would be physically difficult a matchup when facing the Habs. I'd play Danault as 4th line C alongside Byron and Ghetto for an extremely fast, forechecking fourth line. It would be a handful for most opponents.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
And Antichambre panel says he's a a mediocre 2nd line centre at best and some even say he's a 3rd line Centre. He's getting the Koivu treatment. To me, he's been a #1 Centre for the past few seasons and will be a solid 2nd line Centre for the next season or 2.

Just depends what you expect from your 2nd line C and if you're expecting a shutdown C in that position, you better have a more offensive 3rd line. At that point, it's just a matter of semantics because your third line would be like my 2nd line and your 2nd line would be like my third line.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Koivu treatment is a great way to put it. He's a top 30 centreman in the 16-30 half which isn't good enough for people to see him as a top 30 centre. Heck some still deny that Gallagher is a top 10 RW in the league. Only Pacioretty gets "first line, top 30 in his position" credit on the habs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Plekanec, IMO, is no longer that 60 point C. Not the way he is playing a periphery game at even strength and it is even worse on the PP. McCaron could likely get as many points as Plekanec as a 2nd line C. I've personally soured on Plekanec and can't see us winning a Cup with him centering one of the top 2 lines.

He may not be a 60 pt player but the fact remains that only 37 forwards in the NHL have more points then Pleks last season plus this season. So he's been producing among some of the better forwards in the NHL. My point is that we need 2 more top 6 guys, so if we get rid of Pleks then we need 3. We haven't been able to get one, so it just seems like more work to try and get 3 when we should be trying to get 2.

I have watched just about every game McCarron has played in the AHL, I don't think he would be close to Pleks production. Before his call up he had 2 goals in his last 26 games in the AHL, he's really not been the same since starting off the year with a bang when he had 20 pts in 21 games.

As for Pleks winning a cup with us, he doesn't have to stay at center if they were to land someone like Stamkos who wants to play center. If Price is 100% back to what he was last year, adding a big time goal scorer like Stamkos, maybe upgrading the blueline a bit and adding another top 6 forward, I don't see why we couldn't win a cup with Pleks assuming we stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad