Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Has nothing to do with narrative building.

Pleks had a ton of ice time and squandered it with his bad play. He was so useless he lost his place to a 21 year old who had barely played C in the NHL.

And he might not be meant to be a number 1 but he sure as hell is paid for it. He's paid more than Patches, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Radulov. He's objectively worse, and less reliable than all of them.

He's streaky and petulant.

Why are people so adamant to defend gutless mediocrity?

I'm not saying waive him, I'm not saying he is not an NHLer... simply saying that he has to earn his place again and has to prove a lot, again.

And we shouldnt coddle this guy, he's a veteran and has a lot of marks against him. A winning team wouldn't ever tolerate such a player in such a role.

I think you have gone a bit to far. Pleks deserves it for last year, and even with his bad play he still finished 31st amongst center. But you show him a lot of disrespect for those comments.

Pleks is a guy for maybe all of 2 years has been one our best and most consistent players. He has bleed for this team his entire career, drafted and developed by the habs. He is a consumate professional and wouldn't suprised me if he is one of the mots respected players. You know his country respects him.

He had a bad last year like everyone on the team, but like I said he still finished 31st amongst centers. He needs to play better just like a lot of players but I am not worried that he wont.

Have a little bit of respect for the guys who have worked so hard for this team and for you. Pleks was part of many great moments and teams for the habs over his career.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ideally the habs acquire a top 6 C and slot Pleks in the third line and boot DD from the team. But Every single team has flaws and the lack of top 6 Cs is one of the habs flaws.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think you have gone a bit to far. Pleks deserves it for last year, and even with his bad play he still finished 31st amongst center. But you show him a lot of disrespect for those comments.

Pleks is a guy for maybe all of 2 years has been one our best and most consistent players. He has bleed for this team his entire career, drafted and developed by the habs. He is a consumate professional and wouldn't suprised me if he is one of the mots respected players. You know his country respects him.

He had a bad last year like everyone on the team, but like I said he still finished 31st amongst centers. He needs to play better just like a lot of players but I am not worried that he wont.

Have a little bit of respect for the guys who have worked so hard for this team and for you. Pleks was part of many great moments and teams for the habs over his career.

A number 1C, on a would-be playoff contending team, finishes the year 31st and you think it's too much to criticize him? 31st!!! On a max-cap team!! That means every team had a better producing player, and then another one, and then there's Pleks. 1C of the Montreal Canadiens, that is categorically not deserving of the ice time, the "respect", the role, or the salary. :laugh:

What has he done for the Habs? Bleed? Hardly. Consummate professional? Hardly. Professional hockey players engage in physical play to get their team to win, Pleks avoids physicality more than he makes good plays. I see it every match with him, he doesn't forecheck and hates getting touched.

When I think of current players who've worked hard for this team, I think of Gallagher, Pacioretty (even though I'm not a big fan), Markov, and Price. No one would ever think of Plekanec as extraordinary or clutch.

6m a year for a 50-something point first line centre that brings very little of everything. And we supposedly have cup aspirations... Should we laugh or cry?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A number 1C, on a would-be playoff contending team, finishes the year 31st and you think it's too much to criticize him? 31st!!! On a max-cap team!! That means every team had a better producing player, and then another one, and then there's Pleks. 1C of the Montreal Canadiens, that is categorically not deserving of the ice time, the "respect", the role, or the salary. :laugh:

What has he done for the Habs? Bleed? Hardly. Consummate professional? Hardly. Professional hockey players engage in physical play to get their team to win, Pleks avoids physicality more than he makes good plays. I see it every match with him, he doesn't forecheck and hates getting touched.

When I think of current players who've worked hard for this team, I think of Gallagher, Pacioretty (even though I'm not a big fan), Markov, and Price. No one would ever think of Plekanec as extraordinary or clutch.

6m a year for a 50-something point first line centre that brings very little of everything. And we supposedly have cup aspirations... Should we laugh or cry?

You exaggerate as always , trying to make things look a lot worst than they really are !

From those 30 centers that did better than him Pens,Sharks,Caps,Dallas,Kings,Bruins,Sabres,Flyers have two players .

So saying all the teams have a better center is pure BS.

Are we allowed to rip on Plekanec for his performance for 80% of the last season? I'd like your permission before I commit to anything so grievous as criticizing the performance of a 1C who can't crack 60 points and is allergic to physical contact.

So he sucked for 80% of the season and got 54 points ? :facepalm:

Imagine this guy would play at 100% , we may have the next Gretzky on our team...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You exaggerate as always , trying to make things look a lot worst than they really are !

From those 30 centers that did better than him Pens,Sharks,Caps,Dallas,Kings,Bruins,Sabres,Flyers have two players .

So saying all the teams have a better center is pure BS.

So he sucked for 80% of the season and got 54 points ? :facepalm:

Imagine this guy would play at 100% , we may have the next Gretzky on our team...

Contenders vs pretenders-your 2016 Montreal Canadeins ladies and gentleman.

The year he played 100% was with Andre and Kovy, and we remember that line more for the other two.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Contenders vs pretenders-your 2016 Montreal Canadeins ladies and gentleman.

The year he played 100% was with Andre and Kovy, and we remember that line more for the other two.

Ofcourse, Bruins and Sabres didn't even made the PO and Flyers and Kings lost in the first round...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Ofcourse, Bruins and Sabres didn't even made the PO and Flyers and Kings lost in the first round...

So you think pleks at 6 million is a good deal? When he will be used in a likely PK mostly capacity, that or DD will be moved into the top 6??? The problem is we have 2 soft centers in DD and pleks then we have chuckie. So again the problem lies in how MT will use the personnel he has. If we had kept eller over either DD or pleks we would be better off. Can't play Pleks at 3rd C for 6 million, DD can't play 3rd C. Sounds more and more like moving Chuck to the wing or third C would be easier...that is a disaster in the making. AG is our first line center-on a well coached team. Bad asset Management.

Tell me how you think the lines will shake out after a month? The raise pleks got wasn't worth it. Should have traded him when he was a 5 million center and had value, or resigned him at less. Bad asset management. One could argue the team didn't know if AG could be a 1C...well stop playing him on wing and find out. Bad asset management. And you guys wonder why we hate this management group :shakehead. We complained about DD not just because of eller, but because we predicted correctly that MT would stunt AG's potential in favour of DD. Time and time again.

I just can't cheer this incompetence running the habs. MT is horrid and MB backing him and not utilizing his assets has really hurt this club. Unless this is a Joe N for Iggy type of trade with PK-Weber and we win a cup in the next 3 years...well it is brutal asset management.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So you think pleks at 6 million is a good deal? When he will be used in a likely PK mostly capacity, that or DD will be moved into the top 6??? The problem is we have 2 soft centers in DD and pleks then we have chuckie. So again the problem lies in how MT will use the personnel he has. If we had kept eller over either DD or pleks we would be better off. Can't play Pleks at 3rd C for 6 million, DD can't play 3rd C. Sounds more and more like moving Chuck to the wing or third C would be easier...that is a disaster in the making. AG is our first line center-on a well coached team. Bad asset Management.

Tell me how you think the lines will shake out after a month? The raise pleks got wasn't worth it. Should have traded him when he was a 5 million center and had value, or resigned him at less. Bad asset management. One could argue the team didn't know if AG could be a 1C...well stop playing him on wing and find out. Bad asset management. And you guys wonder why we hate this management group :shakehead. We complained about DD not just because of eller, but because we predicted correctly that MT would stunt AG's potential in favour of DD. Time and time again.

I just can't cheer this incompetence running the habs. MT is horrid and MB backing him and not utilizing his assets has really hurt this club. Unless this is a Joe N for Iggy type of trade with PK-Weber and we win a cup in the next 3 years...well it is brutal asset management.

Yes I think that Plek at 6 mil is a good deal , he would have signed for less if Bergevin would've give him more term and a NMC. But Bergevin payed him more to sign him on his conditions, 2 years no clause .

Plekanec will not initiate contact or make a big hit but I wouldn't say he's soft . He can be pretty chippy with his stick and stuff. He's definitely not a easy guy to play against , he often frustrates opposition . Even Crosby once said he hates to play against Plekanec.

For sure DD is useless if you want your 3rd line to be a tight checking line , but in today's game we see less and less of this . It's all about 3 productive lines and a forth line that can fore check as crazy and chip in some points.

Anyways Plekanec's line will be out there against the top lines . Well atleast at home when we have the last change.

We have no centers in our organisation that could replace him and you want to trade him?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Plex gains the zone and shoots at the net. He's following the MT system.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So like virtually every other player on the team, his production went off a cliff after Price was injured. Goal scoring for the team as a whole substantially decreased after Carey went down.

Huh? If anything pleks should have taken it upon himself to step it up when price went down.

He was ****ing terrible the last 50 games. I listen on radio as I am overseas.

Time and time again it was "plekanec! Misses the net! Fans on his shot!" His strength is shooting and scoring. Not assisting. That is not great if you can't score.

He flubbed an unreal amount of chances last year. He was dd level bad at scoring. That is a disaster for habs if it happens this year too.

He was awful last year. I have no confidence in his offense at all.

I hope he proves me wrong.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
When Plekanec plays, I worry more about the offensive chances he wastes for his linemates.

With Radulov, he'll just have to keep his blade on the ice, he'll find him.

As long as Plekanec isn't on a line where he's responsible for creating chances, it's fine with me.

He's a number 1b c on a team that needs their centres to create scoring chances. Of course he's on a line where he is responsible for creating scoring chances.

Absurd post.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Not only that, but for the last half of the season or so, Galchenyuk actually played more minutes than Plekanec in a substantial number of games (approaching half of the last 40 or so, on quick visual inspection), so it's not even like Plekanec was getting loaded up with opportunity when 417 thinks we should judge him most harshly.

He was never supposed to be a 1st line player carrying the team. But he HAS been placed in that position for almost a decade. Kudos to him for simply being "average" among the elite under those circumstances.

So what about his past play? Seriously. He's what 35?
Yeah he was pretty good 4 years ago. That is not now. I am talking about now.

Last year shows he might be dropping off the cliff. And we have a 2 year window with price.

I really really can't stand bergy for not addressing the c position at all his entire time here.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Huh? If anything pleks should have taken it upon himself to step it up when price went down.

He was ****ing terrible the last 50 games. I listen on radio as I am overseas.

Time and time again it was "plekanec! Misses the net! Fans on his shot!" His strength is shooting and scoring. Not assisting. That is not great if you can't score.

He flubbed an unreal amount of chances last year. He was dd level bad at scoring. That is a disaster for habs if it happens this year too.

He was awful last year. I have no confidence in his offense at all.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Plekanec doesn't ''step up''. I've never seen him do that.
He seems to always have a great start, where he'll put up around 1 ppg pace in the first month or two, then comes back down.
Same story pretty much every year.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Plekanec doesn't ''step up''. I've never seen him do that.
He seems to always have a great start, where he'll put up around 1 ppg pace in the first month or two, then comes back down.
Same story pretty much every year.

Last year he stepped down when Therrien destroyed the lines which he seems to do every year.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He had 60 in 14/15 , i'm pretty sure he gets 60+ playing with Radulov.

So we're depending on rad to boost pleks points? Great.

I'd rather depend on a good young number 2 c to boost rad's points.

Pleks might kill rad's offense. He can't pass to save his life and now perhaps he can't finish also.

Pleks is the player I'll be watching most intensely this year.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Agreed. But that was then. This is now.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Ideally the habs acquire a top 6 C and slot Pleks in the third line and boot DD from the team. But Every single team has flaws and the lack of top 6 Cs is one of the habs flaws.

A lack of good top 3 c is the most serious flaw a team can have. It will mean no cup with price. And I put that on bergy. Not pleks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I can't stand the hate Pleks gets on this site he's been a loyal soldier forever.

Cournoyer is and was my favourite hab ever but when he could no longer contribute to cup wins it was time to go.

I want habs to win a cup. Or two. I am pretty sure pleks will not contribute to that.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yes I think that Plek at 6 mil is a good deal , he would have signed for less if Bergevin would've give him more term and a NMC. But Bergevin payed him more to sign him on his conditions, 2 years no clause .

Plekanec will not initiate contact or make a big hit but I wouldn't say he's soft . He can be pretty chippy with his stick and stuff. He's definitely not a easy guy to play against , he often frustrates opposition . Even Crosby once said he hates to play against Plekanec.

For sure DD is useless if you want your 3rd line to be a tight checking line , but in today's game we see less and less of this . It's all about 3 productive lines and a forth line that can fore check as crazy and chip in some points.

Anyways Plekanec's line will be out there against the top lines . Well atleast at home when we have the last change.

We have no centers in our organisation that could replace him and you want to trade him?

I want to be clear: I don't want to trade pleks. Too late for that.

I'm just saying he is not the 2 c habs need to win a cup.

And that is on bergy.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So we're depending on rad to boost pleks points? Great.

I'd rather depend on a good young number 2 c to boost rad's points.

Pleks might kill rad's offense. He can't pass to save his life and now perhaps he can't finish also.

Pleks is the player I'll be watching most intensely this year.

didnt kill Kovalev offense.
didnt kill Cammalleri offense.

guys like him should NEVER be the go to guy on their line. Their job is to do a little of everything, and his usage shows that : PP, PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, to protect lead late in game, to tie the game when trailing late, take important face-offs (even though he never shown to be a great face off C)... he was even tried at D on the PP a few times in his career... his next step is probably to backup Price or something...

want him the be THE guy on his line ?

sure, cut his PK time, play him on the 2nd line not the 1st, 2nd wave of PK/PP not the 1st, don't use him as much when he is not needed (in his 30's, cut his TOI when leading by 3 or 4 in the 3rd or something, you know), etc.

Not doing that pretty much guarantees he's slow down in the 2nd half, again.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
didnt kill Kovalev offense.
didnt kill Cammalleri offense.

guys like him should NEVER be the go to guy on their line. Their job is to do a little of everything, and his usage shows that : PP, PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, to protect lead late in game, to tie the game when trailing late, take important face-offs (even though he never shown to be a great face off C)... he was even tried at D on the PP a few times in his career... his next step is probably to backup Price or something...

want him the be THE guy on his line ?

sure, cut his PK time, play him on the 2nd line not the 1st, 2nd wave of PK/PP not the 1st, don't use him as much when he is not needed (in his 30's, cut his TOI when leading by 3 or 4 in the 3rd or something, you know), etc.

Not doing that pretty much guarantees he's slow down in the 2nd half, again.

Really good post. But none of this would have been required if bergy had ****ing found a young no 2 c the last four years.

And pleks was a lot younger with kovy and cammy.

After plek's last year fall off and given his age now I fear that he is going to be a negative for rad. A player that has come halfway round the world and needs to adjust.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Really good post. But none of this would have been required if bergy had ****ing found a young no 2 c the last four years.

And pleks was a lot younger with kovy and cammy.

After plek's last year fall off and given his age now I fear that he is going to be a negative for rad. A player that has come halfway round the world and needs to adjust.

even better, a #1 C so Plekanec can play 2nd line, in EVERY situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad