Confirmed with Link: Tomas Plekanec Back with Habs (1-Year @ $2.25M + Bonuses - Could Go to $3.5M)

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I wanted him gone many years ago, why would I cheer him returning. Esp when he should absolutely been let go 3 years ago. The guy didn't play with scrubs. He had patches, chuck as his winger Kovy, Akost. Its not like when Koivu had Petrov as his winger, or Higgins. Of all our centers I think Pleks has actually had more time with our best wingers than anyone in 2 decades. No reason to get sentimental for him. His only real value is his puck hoggingness will be a boon for the tank. Guy actually has terrible tunnel vision and his wingers are after thoughts. Oh wait we can put Pleks, Domi and Patches on one line and call it the Empty Net line.

Sorry never been a fan because he disappears in the playoffs and played a soft perimeter game his entire career.

seems like you're the one getting struck on a sentimental chord by his return. You've made it clear you dislike him. we get it.

but to say he generally played with great wingers is being so hypocritical. You can hate a player - you don't even need a reason- no need to start bending well established facts to support your hate.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
seems like you're the one getting struck on a sentimental chord by his return. You've made it clear you dislike him. we get it.

but to say he generally played with great wingers is being so hypocritical. You can hate a player - you don't even need a reason- no need to start bending well established facts to support your hate.
Then name the centre that had better winger over their career as a hab? DD maybe and that is debateable because pleks played with gally and chuck when DD had weisse and patches. He always had better wingers than Saku, and the lines never stayed the same during martin even while he had cammy. Gomez and Gio were paired because of NJ connection. So I think you are the one making things up.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
No I know PaulD is a Habs fan, it's Laff Nation I was referring to, of which my father-in-law is a proud member.
My Step son and son in law both said how bad they feel for us even if tavares doesn't fix Toronto's D, they can trade some of their talent for Dmen, We have no talent left to trade and we resign a guy that most think we should have gotten rid of several years ago. Can't wait to see him our there for 16 minutes a night throwing chesters at goalies while he has two open wingers to pass to.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
My Step son and son in law both said how bad they feel for us even if tavares doesn't fix Toronto's D, they can trade some of their talent for Dmen, We have no talent left to trade and we resign a guy that most think we should have gotten rid of several years ago. Can't wait to see him our there for 16 minutes a night throwing chesters at goalies while he has two open wingers to pass to.
When did we get Gionta out of retirement?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
When did we get Gionta out of retirement?
We didn't, I am talking about career wise. Gio played with Gomez in 2010 Cammy was with Pleks..poor guy never had anything but scrubs like that pile of garbage Kovalev :sarcasm:

ETA...oh yeah the Gio special. That is what I was implying about pleks shot the last few years.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Then name the centre that had better winger over their career as a hab? DD maybe and that is debateable because pleks played with gally and chuck when DD had weisse and patches. He always had better wingers than Saku, and the lines never stayed the same during martin even while he had cammy. Gomez and Gio were paired because of NJ connection. So I think you are the one making things up.

I remember when we lined up higgins-koivu-ryder and everyone was labeling it as our first line. Then our 2nd line became our first line ... its okay if you want to use that logic. I'll give you that one, A.kost and kovalev.... but it stops there. I don't think he played predominantly with our best winger ever since ...

the bolded isn't true by the way and I don't think you realize plekanec was our first line center when he played with kovy and was better than koivu for the most part they played together.

Last edited:

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Koivu will always be my favorite player, but no one can argue that he slowed down (like he was supposed to) over the year nd that Plekanec rightfully became the first center during his prime years. Give me both players at their primes and it's Koivu hands down, but at that one point it was clear Plekanec was superior. Though, Koivu was better player for longer period of time, his final years seem to hold way better compared to Plekanec.

I'm happy he is back, he grew up in that team for his entire career and love this city, he deserve to have to ended here with respect. Hopefully he isn't traded again at the deadline and can finish his career where he started it.

Thank you Tomas, a true Canadiens at heart.

picodon

Mar 24, 2011
Toulouse, FRA
Plekanec rightfully became the first center during his prime years.
Plekanec was the #1 center but played like a #2, he should never have been the #1 center on a NHL team... that's the long-time issue with the Habs and everyone knows it.

Give me both players at their primes and it's Koivu hands down, but at that one point it was clear Plekanec was superior. Though, Koivu was better player for longer period of time, his final years seem to hold way better compared to Plekanec.

I'm happy he is back, he grew up in that team for his entire career and love this city, he deserve to have to ended here with respect. Hopefully he isn't traded again at the deadline and can finish his career where he started it.
Good for him, aiming at game #1000 as a Hab, but if he has a decent season and can fetch another 2nd round pick, there is no doubt in my mind it should be done.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Meh, I'm in the who cares camp. Plek has been a loyal soldier for many years, so I've no problem with him playing out the string with the team that he been with for 98% of his career. The team is going to be hot garbage this season anyway, and he isn't blocking any young centers. Not like we need the cap space this season either.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Meh, I'm in the who cares camp. Plek has been a loyal soldier for many years, so I've no problem with him playing out the string with the team that he been with for 98% of his career. The team is going to be hot garbage this season anyway, and he isn't blocking any young centers. Not like we need the cap space this season either.
Yep. The "who cares anyways" team.

Throw Chelly out there too. "team is going to be hot garbage anyways" "not like they need the cap space"

How about belial ....can he skate?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

I live in Laff country so I hear it all the time, bringing back Plex just reinforces we're in for a long, boring miserable season.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad