Confirmed with Link: Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) + Kyle Baun to Maple Leafs for 2018 2nd Rd Pick, Rychel, Valiev

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thats directly related to the lack of opportunities he's gotten, notice how as soon as Plekanec got trader and a spot opener up for him, he looked like a guy who may indeed have a future as a bottom 6 center?

You re-sign Plekanec next year, he goes right back to being irrelevant.

I don't think he has enough offense to be a 3rd line center, no matter his development. He can be a 4th line center, but they're a dime a dozen. Is his upside so much better than even Logan Shaw and Byron Froese?

But actually, I didn't post this in the previous post because it will inevitably degenerate into a useless argument, but given De La Rose's speed, size, smart positioning and decision making, stick handling ability, and shot, yet no offensive aptitude whatsoever, I'd like to see if he could learn the finer points of defense. I think his abilities are wasted as a forward. I can't see him having much impact on the game as a 4th line center. And, as I said, I don't think he has the ceiling of a 3rd line center. I want someone with at least as much offense as Danault and Eller.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think he has enough offense to be a 3rd line center, no matter his development. He can be a 4th line center, but they're a dime a dozen. Is his upside so much better than even Logan Shaw and Byron Froese?
I think so...quite easily.

But unless he's given an opportunity, we won't find out.

But actually, I didn't post this in the previous post because it will inevitably degenerate into a useless argument, but given De La Rose's speed, size, smart positioning and decision making, stick handling ability, and shot, yet no offensive aptitude whatsoever, I'd like to see if he could learn the finer points of defense. I think his abilities are wasted as a forward. I can't see him having much impact on the game as a 4th line center. And, as I said, I don't think he has the ceiling of a 3rd line center. I want someone with at least as much offense as Danault and Eller.
I don't agree that he doesn't have offensive aptitude...we saw it in segments post-trade deadline.

I believe it can be cultivated a bit more, but it's going to take him getting icetime to prove it. The team has to be willing to invest in that icetime, like they have been with Lehkonen for example, or Charles Hudon this year.

Hudon FINALLY got a shot this year because basically, the team didn't want to expose him to waivers...and he responded with 10 goals and 30pts on a terrible offensive team, as a 1st year player.

An important factor in development, is opportunity...if you keep preventing opportunities by intesting time in over-the-hill veterans, you never get the chance to properly evaluate players in your organization who are developing.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think so...quite easily.

But unless he's given an opportunity, we won't find out.

I don't agree that he doesn't have offensive aptitude...we saw it in segments post-trade deadline.

I believe it can be cultivated a bit more, but it's going to take him getting icetime to prove it. The team has to be willing to invest in that icetime, like they have been with Lehkonen for example, or Charles Hudon this year.

Hudon FINALLY got a shot this year because basically, the team didn't want to expose him to waivers...and he responded with 10 goals and 30pts on a terrible offensive team, as a 1st year player.

An important factor in development, is opportunity...if you keep preventing opportunities by intesting time in over-the-hill veterans, you never get the chance to properly evaluate players in your organization who are developing.

No doubt opportunity is key for all players. But what do you see in him? What do you see his ceiling as? What is this offensive aptitude you saw in segments post-deadline.

I saw him shoot the puck over the net once, but because it was an AHL goalie, the goalie tried to save it, knocking the puck vertically into the air, at which point the goalie had no idea where it was and DLR skated in and stuffed it in. I saw him again miss the net by a wide margin, only to have Galchenyuk dash behind the net make some good moves and an even better pass to the other winger for a goal. Assist DLR! Is that the offensive aptitude you saw. Because I saw him get about a half point a game over a small sample size on paper, but I didn't see him creating much offense on the actual ice.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No doubt opportunity is key for all players. But what do you see in him? What do you see his ceiling as? What is this offensive aptitude you saw in segments post-deadline.
I don't think he'll ever be a PPG player...that's not what I was suggesting.

But a strong 2 way center capable of chipping in 30pts while being a physical presence is something I think is within reach.

Think of the type of player Riley Sheahan has developed into.

I saw him shoot the puck over the net once, but because it was an AHL goalie, the goalie tried to save it, knocking the puck vertically into the air, at which point the goalie had no idea where it was and DLR skated in and stuffed it in. I saw him again miss the net by a wide margin, only to have Galchenyuk dash behind the net make some good moves and an even better pass to the other winger for a goal. Assist DLR! Is that the offensive aptitude you saw. Because I saw him get about a half point a game over a small sample size on paper, but I didn't see him creating much offense on the actual ice.
Why are you making this into something bigger?

I said I think he has SOME offensive aptitude...now you're making it seem like I called the guy the next Wayne Gretzky.

[Highlight] Jacob de la Rose scores his second of the game

I think he's got SOME offensive touch, I think he can chip in a dozen goals and 25-30pts a year while being solid defensively and providing a physical presence.

I don't know what's so unreasonable about that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I mean, if he want to come back at 1 year 1M$, sure. We wont find a better 4th line centre than him at this price. Even as a 13th forward he's an upgrade on Logan and Froese.

Say Pacioretty is gone, we have Drouin, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Danault pretty much set to play top 6. That leave us with Hudon, De La Rose, Byron, Deslauriers, Car, McCarron to fill in the bottom «7». There's a place for him.

Hudon - De La Rose - Byron
Deslauriers - Plekanec - Carr
McCarron

I doubt Andrew Shaw will come back from his concussion. Pacioretty is already gone.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't think he'll ever be a PPG player...that's not what I was suggesting.

But a strong 2 way center capable of chipping in 30pts while being a physical presence is something I think is within reach.

Think of the type of player Riley Sheahan has developed into.

Why are you making this into something bigger?

I said I think he has SOME offensive aptitude...now you're making it seem like I called the guy the next Wayne Gretzky.

[Highlight] Jacob de la Rose scores his second of the game

I think he's got SOME offensive touch, I think he can chip in a dozen goals and 25-30pts a year while being solid defensively and providing a physical presence.

I don't know what's so unreasonable about that.

I just don't see him developing into Riley Sheehan. I like his package: speed, size, smart decision making, smart positional play, good stick handling, good shot. I think it's a waste to use that package as a 4th line center who imo will never have an impact on the game. I'm the only one, but I want to see if it's not too late for him to learn the finer points of being a dman. At d, his celing could be 2nd pairing LHD, he has all the physical tools, it just depends on if he can learn the finer points (pivoting with the puck, how good is his backwards skating, etc...). He'd be much more valuable if he could excel at that role. So much so that I think it's a waste having him as a forward when he doesn't do anything, and yet he has the tools to do a lot more. Byfuglien, made the transition. When I was playing I made the transition. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I just don't see him developing into Riley Sheehan. I like his package: speed, size, smart decision making, smart positional play, good stick handling, good shot. I think it's a waste to use that package as a 4th line center who imo will never have an impact on the game. I'm the only one, but I want to see if it's not too late for him to learn the finer points of being a dman. At d, his celing could be 2nd pairing LHD, he has all the physical tools, it just depends on if he can learn the finer points (pivoting with the puck, how good is his backwards skating, etc...). He'd be much more valuable if he could excel at that role. So much so that I think it's a waste having him as a forward when he doesn't do anything, and yet he has the tools to do a lot more. Byfuglien, made the transition. When I was playing I made the transition. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
Riley Sheahan almost finished an entire 82 game season without registering a goal...

Today he's an important depth player on the Pens...

As for Buff...he was drafted as a Dman if I'm not mistaken, DLR has never played D

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Riley Sheahan almost finished an entire 82 game season without registering a goal...

Today he's an important depth player on the Pens...

As for Buff...he was drafted as a Dman if I'm not mistaken, DLR has never played D

Yeah I won't argue on both points. They are my opinion. Some people think DLR will have a positive impact at forward, some people don't . No one thinks DLR could be a dman, let alone a good one. I think it's possible.

Reactions: 417

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We cannot bring this guy back oh my god oh my god oh my god we just cannot bring this guy BACK after he already overstayed his welcome by 2 years... just move ON, hes DONE

lol. I don't mind if he's our 4c. But can Julien limit himself to playing him in that role ... and not having him 1st out in OT???

Watch the Bruins give up a 2nd at next year's deadline, just so the Leafs don't get him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He scores an EMPTY net goal...and all of a sudden we HAVE to sign him lol..

He was only good in Toronto once they pushed him up in the lineup. He's useless as a 4C. Here, he's likely to play 3C again which isn't good for the development of the team.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
No point. Why bring back an old expensive center who can't produce when we have young cheap centers that can't produce.
Straight up, I'd rather see DeLaRose with his minutes than see Pleks back.
I miss Eller. He was the center we should have kept. Could have been close to a 40 point guy, with size and good possession numbers.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No point. Why bring back an old expensive center who can't produce when we have young cheap centers that can't produce.
Straight up, I'd rather see DeLaRose with his minutes than see Pleks back.
I miss Eller. He was the center we should have kept. Could have been close to a 40 point guy, with size and good possession numbers.

Well presumably he wouldn't be expensive if we brought him back.

That said I wouldn't bring him back simply because he'd be taking too much time from some of our younger guys. But if we dealt several roster players at the draft either in a package for one good guy or for picks and we no longer had that logjam then I'd be fine with re-signing him.

Reactions: tazsub3

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Once Bergevin strikes out on Tavares and Stastny, he'll grant Pleks his wish. And next season Julien will put him out there to start every overtime because overtime is all about trying not to lose.

Reactions: habdynasty

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Once Bergevin strikes out on Tavares and Stastny, he'll grant Pleks his wish. And next season Julien will put him out there to start every overtime because overtime is all about trying not to lose.
I'm sure the plan is to re-sign him regardless...i'm convinced of it.

I bet it took everything in their power to even move him in the first place

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well people said the same with Desharnais, yet we resisted that temptation.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

You just know its coming

the only reason im not MORE pissed about it than i already am is it will only help our tank chances next year lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You just know its coming

the only reason im not MORE pissed about it than i already am is it will only help our tank chances next year lol
I'd just prefer the team invest that time in developing players who will be here the next few years

Signing Plekanec just gives them the excuse to say "theyre not ready".

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd just prefer the team invest that time in developing players who will be here the next few years

Signing Plekanec just gives them the excuse to say "theyre not ready".

He's not their plan A, but he's 100% their fallback option for WHEN they strike out in FA

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We cannot bring this guy back oh my god oh my god oh my god we just cannot bring this guy BACK after he already overstayed his welcome by 2 years... just move ON, hes DONE
Totally fine to sign him for a year. We need to rebuild anyway.... Honestly, who cares? Sign him, let him retire here or even better... deal him AGAIN at the deadline and get something back again.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad