Speculation: Tomas Kaberle to Skate with NYR -- Kaberle Rejects Extended PTO. Is UFA (11/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If he can add something to the powerplay, I say sign him up. Girardi and Moore provide nothing to the powerplay and Moore is very ordinary at even strength.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
hes been released from his PTO, per the pack twitter account.

I don't care about the 2 A's on the PP yesterday, he was a -3 in 2 games. I'd rather give Sami Salo the contract than Kab.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
If he can add something to the powerplay, I say sign him up. Girardi and Moore provide nothing to the powerplay and Moore is very ordinary at even strength.

Need to weigh his ability on the PP against his massive shortcomings at even strength.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kaberle is trash now, especially at even strength. I really doubt he sees any NHL icetime.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pretty ignorant considering Kaberle was a great NHL'er at one point and those guys may never be NHL caliber.

Who cares what he was? This is about what he is.

As always, I have an open mind with him until he plays with the team. Hunwick's play has leveled off to his usual mediocrity, so if Kaberle can spell improvement, I'm for it.

Pending Kaberle signing is more of an indictment on Conor Allen than it is on McIlrath. I'd venture to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with McIlrath at all.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
As long as the contract is for less then $1M I can't complain about the signing. The Rangers have no cap flexibility and one contract spot left. It's impossible to add to the team right now without subtracting from another area of the roster. I like that it gives the team depth and that's what adding Kaberle is on the surface. If Kaberle doesn't work out send him to Hartford but make sure his cap hit is ZERO. Even a $1.1M contract would be senseless because the Rangers are going to need every penny if they want to improve at the deadline.

My fear is AV will fall in love with Kaberle. He can't be the Tanner Glass of the defense. He can't defer to the veteran player if this move doesn't work out. As long as Sather and AV don't think of this move as anything more then depth it's really a no risk venture. If these guys see Kaberle as the fix for the power play this move will never work.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Who cares what he was? This is about what he is.

As always, I have an open mind with him until he plays with the team. Hunwick's play has leveled off to his usual mediocrity, so if Kaberle can spell improvement, I'm for it.

Pending Kaberle signing is more of an indictment on Conor Allen than it is on McIlrath. I'd venture to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with McIlrath at all.

I disagree with this statement. Look, I know part of the McIlrath debate has nothing to do with the player and has everything to do with posters wanting to prove they were right about the kid. I want to cut through all that.

The Rangers are trying to win games. If McIlrath added anything to the big club the Rangers wouldn't have to sign Kaberle. That is an indictment of the kid. That's not to nitpick the selection nor is it an indication of his future. It's the reality of the situation right now.

I hope somebody sits McIlrath down and explains this to him. That this situation was an opportunity for him and those don't come along often. That the team is forced to go outside the organization because he isn't ready and he needs to improve his game for the next opportunity.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If Kaberle signs at 700.000 I am OK with it. Anything over 800.000 will limit our deadline options as it will eat valuable cap space (likely replacing Hunwick at 600.000) that becomes -a bigger and bigger by the $$ as it is prorated. I imagine the money is being discussed at this very moment with Cigar Man and the Agent

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Kaberle is a lefty. They are looking at him as another option with Hunwick to act as fill-ins until McDonagh returns. And maybe as a better long term LD backup/7th D.

McIlrath plays the right side. Girardi, Klein and Boyle are playing the right side.

Kaberle has nothing to do with McIlrath.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I disagree with this statement. Look, I know part of the McIlrath debate has nothing to do with the player and has everything to do with posters wanting to prove they were right about the kid. I want to cut through all that.

The Rangers are trying to win games. If McIlrath added anything to the big club the Rangers wouldn't have to sign Kaberle. That is an indictment of the kid. That's not to nitpick the selection nor is it an indication of his future. It's the reality of the situation right now.

I hope somebody sits McIlrath down and explains this to him. That this situation was an opportunity for him and those don't come along often. That the team is forced to go outside the organization because he isn't ready and he needs to improve his game for the next opportunity.

Two things:

1) Kaberle play LD, McIlrath plays RD
2) Completely different skill sets

Fact of the matter is that what McIlrath does bring is a) not something that the team seems to value or b) something they don't think he's good enough at, or maybe a combination of the two. I agree that if McIlrath brought something to the table that the team needed, he'd be up. I don't think that Kaberle really has much to do with him, though. I think Kaberle is a veteran who (in theory) can be trusted in important games and can add something to our meek PP.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Sign him for league minimum, whatever. He's still going to be a better contributor than Tanner Glass within a couple of games, even if he is slower.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I personally think he can still contribute at an NHL level. Let's see how he does on the PP. I know they're older, but Boyle and Kabs on our PP could help out a lot.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd rather see Kaberle on the point for the second PP unit than Girardi. Love G but he just simply cant hit the net consistently, let alone score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad