Speculation: Tomas Kaberle to Skate with NYR -- Kaberle Rejects Extended PTO. Is UFA (11/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
dude is done.

hes sloooooooooowwwwwwww and he wont cut it at even strength. hes gonna be a liability out there.

hes gonna be a horror show. his skating is brutal.

yes hes smart and yes he can play the pp. the pp has adequate players now. its actually looked good since the return of boyler. the results havent been there but the pp is humming and the passing is much improved. the problem has been the forwards like brash and msl not the dmen.

this is gonna end badly.

i would pass bigtime on kaberle. this isnt the kaberle of 6 years ago.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'd rather see Kaberle on the point for the second PP unit than Girardi. Love G but he just simply cant hit the net consistently, let alone score

Totally agree with this statement.

What do we do with him 5/5 though???

That scares the sheet out of me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
girardi not being on the pp should not be dependent on us signing a sloth like kaberle.

girardi just shouldnt be on the pp.

i like 4 forwards and boyle on pp 1 getting most pp time.

and 3 forwards and klein/moore on pp 2

no more girardi

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
girardi not being on the pp should not be dependent on us signing a sloth like kaberle.

girardi just shouldnt be on the pp.

i like 4 forwards and boyle on pp 1 getting most pp time.

and 3 forwards and klein/moore on pp 2

no more girardi

****ing this.

It's not rocket science. Girardi sucks on the powerplay. Just take him off, you don't even have to put another defenseman there. JUST STOP PLAYING HIM.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Two things:

1) Kaberle play LD, McIlrath plays RD
2) Completely different skill sets

Fact of the matter is that what McIlrath does bring is a) not something that the team seems to value or b) something they don't think he's good enough at, or maybe a combination of the two. I agree that if McIlrath brought something to the table that the team needed, he'd be up. I don't think that Kaberle really has much to do with him, though. I think Kaberle is a veteran who (in theory) can be trusted in important games and can add something to our meek PP.

This is basically the post I was going to respond with.

I would just also point out that the defense was structured in such a way that the RDs were two defensive Ds and a puck mover. When Boyle, the puck mover, went down they replaced him with another puck mover in Kostka. When Klein, a defensive D went down, they replaced him with McIlrath, a defensive D. My sense is that if Girardi had gone down the other night, they would have replaced him with McIlrath.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It was mentioned a couple of posts up, but...

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 28m28 minutes ago
#NYR to talk with Kaberle, agent this afternoon, are not expected to offer free agent defenseman NHL contract...

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Im ok if they just stand pat and and let the kids ride this out... but if we really need to sign someone .. I'd rather take a chance on Peter Forsberg with one foot.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can't blame the NYR for saying "No Thanks" to a guy who played two games in the AHL and was -3.

+/- the stat that means nothing, unless we can use it against you.

Marek Malik +35? Oh, who gives a ****, he played with Jagr.

Kaberle -3 in the AHL. OH HE SUCKS USELESS BUM!

Did you watch the games he played? Didn't think so.

And neither did I, but from what posters who have watched him have said, it wasn't as bad as you throwing everything out the window because he was a -3.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can't blame the NYR for saying "No Thanks" to a guy who played two games in the AHL and was -3.

Well Hartford as a team looked like garbage. He could have been Nick Lidstrom this weekend and finished as a minus. I'm not saying he was good--I watched ~2 periods and an OT of the games he played, and I didn't notice him either way.

I'm somewhat surprised by this. I thought the was a certainty, regardless of whether or not he looked good in those two games. This would have been such a Rangers move.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
+/- the stat that means nothing, unless we can use it against you.

Marek Malik +35? Oh, who gives a ****, he played with Jagr.

Kaberle -3 in the AHL. OH HE SUCKS USELESS BUM!

Did you watch the games he played? Didn't think so.

And neither did I, but from what posters who have watched him have said, it wasn't as bad as you throwing everything out the window because he was a -3.

Funny because:

A) I was going to put at the bottom of my post (note: I didn't watch the games AND I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of the +/- stat)

&

B) I didn't throw anything "out the window" the NYR did. You know, the team he was TRYING OUT FOR. SO... maybe they know what they're talking about and the posters who watched and thought he was OK don't know ****.

Ridiculous

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Funny because:

A) I was going to put at the bottom of my post (note: I didn't watch the games AND I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of the +/- stat)

&

B) I didn't throw anything "out the window" the NYR did. You know, the team he was TRYING OUT FOR. SO... maybe they know what they're talking about and the posters who watched and thought he was OK don't know ****.

Ridiculous

Should've done A and saved us both some time!

B - he probably looked good enough if they wanted to keep him around on an extended PTO. Get further looks at him. It's not like they released him from the PTO because he was terrible, they wanted more looks. Sounds like an 'OK' tryout to me.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
mcdonagh isnt right handed.

McDonagh is also much more talented. Look at the right-handed shots on our team. Almost all of them play the PP.

RH Shots
Stepan
Stempniak
Boyle
Girardi
Klein

From that list, only Klein doesn't receive regular PP time.

McDonagh receives PP time because he's our top LD and a great 2-way D. RH shots are much rarer on this roster, thus a guy like Girardi getting PP time. Knowing how AV likes to utilize RH shots on the PP, it's much easier to make the cut if you shoot right. That was my only point. AV likes a RH shot on the point, and another at the top of the circle on the back side. Stepan and Stempniak are the candidates for that back side righty shot, and Boyle, Girardi, Klein, and Stempniak are the candidates for the point shot. Since Stepan and Boyle can't play the full 2 minutes at their respective positions, it makes sense to use Stempniak and Girardi at those positions on the second unit.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Should've done A and saved us both some time!

B - he probably looked good enough if they wanted to keep him around on an extended PTO. Get further looks at him. It's not like they released him from the PTO because he was terrible, they wanted more looks. Sounds like an 'OK' tryout to me.

Knowing this board... You're right about A.

And on B we're going to have to agree to disagree. Sounded like he failed his tryout to me. If he had "rust" or issues and couldn't even cut it in the AHL he wasn't going to help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad