Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Jurco

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
No that's dumb. If they are gonna play him on the 4th line then call up ferraro, sheahan, or callahan instead. jurco is worthless on the 4th line.
He's not worthless there. Plus, the point is to get him acclimated. The 4th line lets him see what it's about without throwing serious minutes at a kid who's going to spend a lot of time in his first few games watching. If his transition from AHL to NHL is anything like the one from junior to AHL, that would be the way to go.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ya well they're both Slovakian, so it's easy to compare. But Hossa has proven himself as a point producing player, who's reliable in both ends of the rink, has good hands, and a very good shot. I know it's not really fair to put these types of expectations on Jurco, but he still does remind me of Hossa a bit. I don't get to watch too many Griffins games, so I haven't had enough of a sample size to really compare the 2, but there definitely are some similarities.

Who compared him to Hossa? He doesn't play the 200 foot game Hossa plays but in time Jurco has the offensive talent to have similar production as Hossa imo.

Jim Nill.

Former assistant general manager Jim Nill has described Jurco as a “Marian Hossa-type player†as a big winger with tremendous skills.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/10/22/4176/jurco-growing-up-fast-on-farm/

I personally don't take that as "He'll be the next Marian Hossa" but rather with the message that he has skills that give him the potential be an NHL player somewhat similar to Marian Hossa. But some fans read that and think, "We got the next Marian Hossa!"

It's like when people said Kronwall is like Konstantinov. It's like... You serious???

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
He's a point per game player in the AHL at 21 years old. Get high on him. Go to youtube. Type his name in, and enjoy. I remember his draft perfectly, slipped to round 2, and I woke up the next morning and had like 10 texts from friends saying that Detroit took him, because all I talked about leading up to the draft was Jurco.

I know he has insane hands/puck skills. Still very excited too see him tomorrow, it's been awhile.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He will get sheltered minutes on the fourth line and that's fine. The important thing is he got the call. But everyone has to remember he will not be a permanent fixture on the team until next year, or even more realistic, two years from now. All this will be is a sneak-peek at what they have.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He's not worthless there. Plus, the point is to get him acclimated. The 4th line lets him see what it's about without throwing serious minutes at a kid who's going to spend a lot of time in his first few games watching. If his transition from AHL to NHL is anything like the one from junior to AHL, that would be the way to go.

No better way to ease his transition than putting him with other skill players and giving him a chance to make some plays. Can do wonders for a young kids confidence. Putting him in a grinding role is just asking for trouble. That's not his game. Play to his strengths not his weaknesses.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No better way to ease his transition than putting him with other skill players and giving him a chance to make some plays. Can do wonders for a young kids confidence. Putting him in a grinding role is just asking for trouble. That's not his game. Play to his strengths not his weaknesses.

Yep, completely agree. Especially with all the injuries we have, its not like its going to hurt the team in any way if Jurco plays in the top 9, and gets 11-14 minutes. I see no point in calling him up to play him 6 minutes on the 4th line.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

I agree with this actually. But that said, I don't have expectations for him to succeed right away... even if he was playing with Pavel.

Like I said, I'm excited to see him and while I don't want to see him on the 4th line, I have zero expectations for him tomorrow.

It'll take time for Jurco. I'd like nothing for Jurco to push the scrubs on this team away, however -- (Bert, Cleary, Sammy, etc)

Aug 6, 2012
We're gonna have Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and Mrazek in the lineup tomorrow... :amazed:

I think its a good thing that, when possible, our prospects get a game or two in the NHL just so they can see what they're up against and what they have to improve on. Its a big part in the development of kids when they aren't ready for the NHL just yet.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Who compared him to Hossa? He doesn't play the 200 foot game Hossa plays but in time Jurco has the offensive talent to have similar production as Hossa imo.

The Hossa comparison has been floating around since he was drafted because he had ridiculous stickhandling and is roughly the same size.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Bert-Pav-Alfie
Tats-Mule-Gus
Jurky-Andy-Eaves
Miller-Glen-Cleary

Looks good to me. I really hope it's not Cleary who gets the promotion because of Abby going down. Although, if he does get it, I hope it means Jurco/Tatar on the third line. That'd be pretty killer.

I think Datsyuk and Alfie really need another skater. Datsyuk has no burst lately and is having trouble getting separation that we're accustomed to seeing. Babcock should give them Tatar or Nyquist IMO.

My fear is Dan Cleary though. Where will Dan Cleary play?

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Would try...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson
Jurco - Andersson - Eaves
Miller - Glendening - Cleary

NyquistIsMyGod*

Would try...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson
Jurco - Andersson - Eaves
Miller - Glendening - Cleary

I think I would switch Nyquist and Tatar. Sucks that now we wouldn't have a scoring third line.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
What's the point of having a great farm team if you can't pluck dudes when you have injuries...a nice subplot to the game tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad