LeBrun: Tomas Hertl not likely to sign extension with the Sharks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You got Burns and Karlsson for the foreseeable future on the right side.

Wouldn't you need to improve the LD? I doubt Burns/Karlsson will play on the 3rd pairing when they make so much $.

Jones would be on your top 4, potentially on your first pairing within 2 seasons.

Problem for us is we got Lindgren who's stapled to Fox. Miller and Trouba are set as a pairing (Gallant's own words).

And we signed Nemeth due to him being a Swedish vet so he could ease Lundkvist into everything, which is stupid. Zibanejad speaks Swedish and Nemeth is trash.

But ok, I get it. Unfortunately we're most likely trading for Eichs anyway.

Burns' future is four years max with the option of moving him up to wing if absolutely necessary but getting the right guy to replace him starts now honestly. Our left side currently has Ferraro, Knyzhov, Hatakka, and Kniazev all either established or right there. The latter three have shown at various levels to play both sides but they've moved Vlasic to the right to accommodate players moving up the chain there. Knyzhov played with Vlasic on the third pair and impressed enough to get moved up with Karlsson. Hatakka looks like he either will play for Knyzhov while he's out or is the last one cut. The team has depth there. Jones would not surpass Ferraro in any capacity...maybe Knyzhov but that seems unlikely.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Burns' future is four years max with the option of moving him up to wing if absolutely necessary but getting the right guy to replace him starts now honestly. Our left side currently has Ferraro, Knyzhov, Hatakka, and Kniazev all either established or right there. The latter three have shown at various levels to play both sides but they've moved Vlasic to the right to accommodate players moving up the chain there. Knyzhov played with Vlasic on the third pair and impressed enough to get moved up with Karlsson. Hatakka looks like he either will play for Knyzhov while he's out or is the last one cut. The team has depth there. Jones would not surpass Ferraro in any capacity...maybe Knyzhov but that seems unlikely.
Fair enough, you know more about the Sharks than I do.

I honestly think Jones will be a real good #2-3 in the future but you seem set on the left side.

Jones can play either side but you want a RH RD i assume?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fair enough, you know more about the Sharks than I do.

I honestly think Jones will be a real good #2-3 in the future but you seem set on the left side.

Jones can play either side but you want a RH RD i assume?

Correct. I'm not necessarily concerned with whether they're offensively or defensively inclined but an RHD with top pairing potential is preferred. They really only have Merkley in the short term and a project like Laroque and that's it.

However, I'm perfectly willing to accept the premise that Hertl's trade clause makes it where they have to accept another player in a strong spot for us based on the offers presented. Jones could be the best value young asset available here so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. Just that it isn't preferred.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's awful what? I don't even care what the conditions are on those picks. Strome and some 7ths???

2 7ths which can = 2 1sts IF Hertl plays [b'c he's available, not injured] and is productive [scores at least __________ ]

that is not unreasonable in the totality of the circumstances,
and no prob if you can get more

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
2 7ths which can = 2 1sts IF Hertl plays [b'c he's available, not injured] and is productive [scores at least __________ ]

It's completely trash just as it was in the Eichel thread and I'm assuming you're not dumb enough to believe the crap you post here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

At worst, those conditions would be 2nd round picks if they're not reached. Not 7th round picks but for a player like Hertl who is and has been healthy for more than a season, it's not a reasonable ask.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Probably somewhere in the 7.5-8.5 mil range that he'll likely get here.

great player. I wish we could sign him long term but we don’t have the money. If he doesn’t resign with the Sharks what would it take to get him in trade deadline deal?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
great player. I wish we could sign him long term but we don’t have the money. If he doesn’t resign with the Sharks what would it take to get him in trade deadline deal?

If he's a rental, I only expect a first and a decent prospect. But I also don't expect the Sharks to be sellers at the deadline.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
If he's a rental, I only expect a first and a decent prospect. But I also don't expect the Sharks to be sellers at the deadline.

Aren’t the Sharks about ready for a rebuild? Anyway, I would try to keep Hertl too if possible.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Aren’t the Sharks about ready for a rebuild? Anyway, I would try to keep Hertl too if possible.

They're not going to rebuild with the contracts they can't really get rid of. They just bring in their young talent as they go. Eklund is looking like a top line talent right out of the gate and Dahlen is going to play with Couture and Meier. If Karlsson continues what he's done in the preseason, they will be competing for a playoff spot even if they aren't Cup contenders.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think the "with an extension" talk won't be very relevant. Before any trade teams will talk with Hertl about his expectations, but I don't think a signing will necessarily *need* to happen.

IMO, fans see that expiring contract and see it as a huge risk; GMs I think see it as an opportunity. Their chance to test-drive Hertl, and if they like what they see...why wouldn't Hertl sign if they make a competitive offer? Maybe that's too much of a soldier mindset but it seems to me that many GMs operate that way. And, to be fair, for most organizations that generally holds true. Perhaps if Nashville, Columbus, VGK, or Winnipeg is going after him they'll want a deal signed beforehand, but I expect most competitive teams will be confident in their ability to sign Hertl if the fit is good.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If SJ situation resurrected overnight, I could see him thinking about some kind of return, can't say how many years. Not seeing that miracle, which requires time in addition to $$$.
Multiple teams will pay for his services if they have cap, and by next year many can maufacture cap.

He'll command a healthy rental, will not do sign and trade
will test ufa later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad