Tom Wilson with a pretty aggressive high stick (suspended 6 games)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Usually in person hearing is for 5+ game suspensions. Wilson has alot of history and one 20 game ban what was reduced to 14. In theory Wilson could actually be done for the regular season at least as he has more suspensions on his record than when that ruling was made.

Wilson should also gotten 10+ games for his assault on Buchnevich when a caps player had his legs pinned and Wilson sat on him while punching his head/jaw against the ice with him lying down unable to defend himself in any way! That is still the most dangerous and disgusting thing Wilson has done in his career.

Buchnevich could have been paralyzed from that and had it happened Wilson would have been booted from the league for good!

Paralyzed?!? Oh the humanity!

So here's my question on this though....how could you possibly justify 2 games when you have other precedent examples?

Take Kassian's high stick suspension. Kassian went for a hit and was missing....he was spinning backwards into the boards and swung his stick in a backward swinging motion while not looking where it was going (so we are clear, I'm in no way trying to downplay Kassian's act here, just trying to differentiate). Kassian had ZERO disciplinary incidents at the time....he was suspended 7-8 games (albeit, only 5 regular season games).

Compare that to this one, Wilson was firmly in control of his body while he takes a forward swinging motion directly in the line of his sight with his body moving in upward direction to assist the velocity of the stick swing + he has all kinds of history.

How do you compare those 2 and reach conclusion that Wilson should get less. My view: on act alone, Wilson's is worse, but ignoring that, let's assume the act is the same, Wilson has history, Kassian did not, so how could you even give Wilson the same, let alone less, punishment?

Simple…don’t compare the two. I’d hope each incident is reviewed singularly…only fans want to compare punishments for different players. We’ll see, might be 5.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I wasn't taken up on the bet but I'm still willing to follow through. If anyone wants to suggest a charity, please lemme know.
How about your local hospitals sports concussion program? My daughter participated in one out here that helped her immensely when her playing days were ended due to concussions.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Paralyzed?!? Oh the humanity!

Simple…don’t compare the two. I’d hope each incident is reviewed singularly…only fans want to compare punishments for different players. We’ll see, might be 5.

Yeah, punching defenseless players face down on the ice has never lead the paralyze before (Bertuzzi).

Wilson is a repeat offender, he has been suspended more than 99% of the players in the league so he will get additional games for his crime history, whether Caps fans like it or not!

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So the baseline question is - regardless of all other factors, is this play worthy of suspension.

Well he made a non-hockey play and high sticked someone in the face with a deliberate swing. So yeah, pretty easy suspension there.

Then, you go for the baseline length of a suspension for this type of play. This could vary a bit. He knocked out a tooth or something but there's no injury. BUT it is a non-hockey play - we have a comparable (but not identical) play with Morgan Reilly high sticking someone in a non-hockey manner and that got what, 5? This one doesn't appear quite as violent as Reilly's (one handed swing versus two handed cross-check and the game situations are different). I'd call this one a 3-4 game suspension.

Then you add in the enhancement. Tom Wilson has been suspended like 7 times or some shit. Most of them for hits to the head. Been a few years but the history still matters. And his last suspension was a long one - like 14 games or something (after the appeal I think?). That 3-4 game suspension is probably going to double at minimum. It could even be higher (since suspensions *tend* to escalate based on history).

My *guess* is 8-10 games. That being said, depending on how history is weighed, they could make this a "rest of the regular season" or season + first round (if applicable). There's precedent for that from a player with a comparable history (Matt Cooke in 2011) at around the same time of the season, although admittedly on a worse hit.
A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension.

His last suspension was 3 years ago.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension.
Tom was probably scratching off days on his calendar gleaming with joy at his next opportunity to do something incredibly stupid/dangerous

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Holy crap it's been 10.5 years.. I'm getting old.
Kassian received 8 games for a careless high stick on Gagner (less malicious looking but way more damage) back in 2013.

With inflation adding 1.5 games, subtracting 3 games for the lack of broken jaw, and subtracting 0.5 for less teeth broken, this will be a 5 game suspension.

Reactions: Steerpike

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, punching defenseless players face down on the ice has never lead the paralyze before (Bertuzzi).

Wilson is a repeat offender, he has been suspended more than 99% of the players in the league so he will get additional games for his crime history, whether Caps fans like it or not!

Don’t turtle….;)

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
That only factors into the financial impact of the suspension, not the duration.
Man I get it's the internet but how many times are people going to have to share this before others understand it? Feels like this is the 5th or 6th time this point has been brought up in this thread and people still post like repeat offender status mattes to the length of the suspension.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Man I get it's the internet but how many times are people going to have to share this before others understand it? Feels like this is the 5th or 6th time this point has been brought up in this thread and people still post like repeat offender status mattes to the length of the suspension.
Eh no one reads through an entire thread before commenting. Still - if you don't know ask instead of commenting like you have some wisdom on it. "I thought repeat offender was 18 months?" instead of correcting, but everyone always knows everything so makes a statement instead of a question.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Holy crap it's been 10.5 years.. I'm getting old.
Kassian received 8 games for a careless high stick on Gagner (less malicious looking but way more damage) back in 2013.

With inflation adding 1.5 games, subtracting 3 games for the lack of broken jaw, and subtracting 0.5 for less teeth broken, this will be a 5 game suspension.

Apparently we should not try to compare against other incidents in deciding games though......BUT...if we did, there's no way I cut it in half simply because of "result" - I get they incorporate that into suspension length and moreso than I'd like, but even for the league, I think that's too much....there was still an injury here. Regardless of that though....you are missing another big difference - Wilson's enormous history of discipline issues vs. Kassian's ZERO history.

Reactions: ZJuice

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Apparently we should not try to compare against other incidents in deciding games though......BUT...if we did, there's no way I cut it in half simply because of "result" - I get they incorporate that into suspension length and moreso than I'd like, but even for the league, I think that's too much....there was still an injury here. Regardless of that though....you are missing another big difference - Wilson's enormous history of discipline issues vs. Kassian's ZERO history.
I will admit that I assumed Kassian already had an NHL suspension/discipline at that point. You are correct.

I was being a bit facetious with my chopping down of the suspension length due to lack of broken jaw. I dislike how the league does that.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I will admit that I assumed Kassian already had an NHL suspension/discipline at that point. You are correct.

I was being a bit facetious with my chopping down of the suspension length due to lack of broken jaw. I dislike how the league does that.

It’s funny because you kinda nailed it, but I think we gotta add or subtract 2 games due to the Parros principle. Y’know- no matter the seriousness of the offense, there is always a random 4 game variance. It tends towards the negative, but if Parros hasn’t had his morning lead and mercury it could be +2. So 7 games or 3, more than likely.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Well, you're the first to respond so done. I'll follow up.

Done. Sorry, I went with the children's hospital. This is NOT a virtue signal, I just hate people that are full of shit and don't want anyone to think that's me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_123143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_123143_Chrome.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Done. Sorry, I went with the children's hospital. This is NOT a virtue signal, I just hate people that are full of shit and don't want anyone to think that's me.
We don’t always see eye to eye, but I have a ton of respect for you for this, man. Very Stand-up thing to actually follow through.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Kudos to you, sir.

Treating the bairns never gets less expensive or less complicated. We can use all the help we can get.

Back O/T, this was a pointless, vicious play, and an absolute headscratcher given the game circumstances and point in the season. Just baffling, indefensible, and merits a significant suspension. Honestly have no idea what he thought he was doing there. Nor does he, I suspect,

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Whos holding the hearing in which Wilson will play the innocent lamb?

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
"If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad