Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson Re-signs 6 years, $5.17 AAV

How do you feel about Tom Wilson's new contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Yes, Wilsin has first line ability. It's quite obvious from the success of his deployment there. Of course, I'm sure your idea of "ability" is merely puck skills and/or point production, but there is loads more to the game than that.

Top 30.
Much stronger case could be made for top 30 RW to have over next 6 years as opposed to right now

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
FWIW, the answer to my question above is 28th. Still think a good case can't be made now?
Got about 25-30 guys I’d definitely take now then there’s guys like Atkinson and Bobby Ryan and a dozen others where when you make the case for Wilson over those guys, you’re making the case specifically for the Caps and not if you were starting a team from scratch to win a game tomorrow. I don’t believe in paying for fit but I do believe in paying for what you expect to get over what they’ve done and they’ve put him on the 1st line.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Got about 25-30 guys I’d definitely take now then there’s guys like Atkinson and Bobby Ryan and a dozen others where when you make the case for Wilson over those guys, you’re making the case specifically for the Caps and not if you were starting a team from scratch to win a game tomorrow. I don’t believe in paying for fit but I do believe in paying for what you expect to get over what they’ve done and they’ve put him on the 1st line.
What are those 25-30 guys? I was very underwhelmed with the RW group in the league.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
What are those 25-30 guys? I was very underwhelmed with the RW group in the league.
Top 18 guys here
NHL.com - Stats
Oshie, Hornqvist, Perry, Toffoli, Palmieri, Atkinson, Simmonds, haven’t seen DeBrincat, then you’ve got Mantha, Niederreiter, Justin Williams, Craig Smith, Zuccerello, Gallagher, Ryan, and Okposo where it’s Wilson is maybe better than these guys for the Caps because the inn is full on the power play but they’re guys the Caps could pick and choose as comps for arbitration. But they’re paying a premium now for Wilson’s prime.

I know I’m looking at points and not other things Wilson does but the Caps have the great advantage of Oshie on their PP plus Ovy and Kuzy, if you’re adding to a typical team Simmonds or Smith on the power play has a more tangible effect.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Perhaps. Perhaps not. You may be on the 9th level of hell (validity speaking) if Tom Terrific has 40ES pts and is near 50 overall.

We shall see
Yeah you're in good position. You're okay with same production and same physical impact even if things dont go north cause Willy so good and so great at fighting:D and to me it's more scoring (even strength or not) or bust. I'll take that anyways:popcorn:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah you're in good position. You're okay with same production and same physical impact even if things dont go north cause Willy so good and so great at fighting:D and to me it's more scoring (even strength or not) or bust. I'll take that anyways:popcorn:

My position on him is clear. He's a winner. He makes the team better. He hurts the opposing team. Both in tangibles and intangibles.

If they win a 2nd Cup this season, no matter what he scores points wise.....and he's the same factor in the playoffs again, then its an EASY win. Easy. Even if they lose in ECF (or to Pittsburgh again...shudder).

Lets see.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
@Ridley Simon

So do you agree with NBTW that Tom Wilson is a top 30 RW in the NHL?

@Dumb and nobody & @OvechkinTooth

Ranking players is so fluid. I fully believe he's a top 6 forward, and that 5m for a wing that is a top 6 forward is accurate.

Is he top 30? I honestly dont know. Thats like looking at the draft and saying a guy should be picked 25 or 35. its very subjective. As in most rankings, there are 3-5 total studs...another level of 10-15 that are tier 2...and then another level of 30 or so that are tier 3. I put him squarely in that 3rd tier (based on my "rankings").

I can see an argument where people say he's top 30. Or an argument that he's top 50. I put him in the 20-50 group, which can be relatively interchangeable, based on the rest of the team and needs.

I know that sounds evasive, and I dont mean it to be, but its just not cut and dry like golf or car racing...where your place is your place. You know if you are 25th vs 35th. Its not subjective like most other sports.

Am I happy Tom is with us and making 5m for the next 6years as a Capital? Absolutely. Quantify that any way you want

Edit — furthering this...are their 31 RW’s that I’d choose over Tom? For this team? I’d definitely say NO, there aren’t. But that’s just My Opinion.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The world needs ditch diggers, and I want to be entertained. Willy can almost do it all, from scoring at ES to PK to taking someones head off, and quite frankly there are few players I would pay more than willy to watch for the next 6 years.

I don't give a rats ass about an all star skills comp (which is what many would seem to use to grade a players worth, solely). When the real season starts, we often see those same all stars disappear. So what good was it that they can skate like the wind, if they cannot take a pounding from guys like Ovi Oshie Orpik and Willy? They can only run and hide for so long, before someone catches them proper.

Jun 15, 2007
@Dumb and nobody & @OvechkinTooth

Ranking players is so fluid. I fully believe he's a top 6 forward, and that 5m for a wing that is a top 6 forward is accurate.

Is he top 30? I honestly dont know. Thats like looking at the draft and saying a guy should be picked 25 or 35. its very subjective. As in most rankings, there are 3-5 total studs...another level of 10-15 that are tier 2...and then another level of 30 or so that are tier 3. I put him squarely in that 3rd tier (based on my "rankings").

I agree completely with this which is why I don't think there are 31 first line right wings the league. Closer to 20.

Using the top 31, top 62, top 93 definitions for who is a first, second, third liner doesn't make sense to me because that would mean there are the same amount of fourth liners as there are first liners. Then it becomes a not very useful way to describe someone's ability.

Tom Wilson is somewhere between 40-50 for me so I would call him an average second liner.

An average second liner shouldn't make 5m a year but I do think he can improve his game to become either a low end first liner or a high end second liner. And of course with Cap increases 5m will become second line winger money soon enough.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with this article about paying for a players past accomplishments
Calgary Flames waive Troy Brouwer in cautionary tale
so when comparing James Neal and Wilson, I probably take Neal to win a game tomorrow, but his contract is much riskier because you expect him to decline and Wilson to improve.

Screw that logic. We have guys that do what James Neal does. We only have one guy who does the things Willy does best, maybe the only one in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad