Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson Re-signs 6 years, $5.17 AAV

How do you feel about Tom Wilson's new contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I agree completely with this which is why I don't think there are 31 first line right wings the league. Closer to 20.

Using the top 31, top 62, top 93 definitions for who is a first, second, third liner doesn't make sense to me because that would mean there are the same amount of fourth liners as there are first liners. Then it becomes a not very useful way to describe someone's ability.

Tom Wilson is somewhere between 40-50 for me so I would call him an average second liner.

An average second liner shouldn't make 5m a year but I do think he can improve his game to become either a low end first liner or a high end second liner. And of course with Cap increases 5m will become second line winger money soon enough.

Are we sure about that? Brand new contract? What exactly should they make? I think you’ve painted yourself into a corner here.

Again, brand new contract for an “average 2nd liner” that buys up 4 UFA years. What should that contract look like, using your parameters?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Re watching the 2015 road to winter classic and Tom Wilson just got put on 1st line vs Pitt with Ovie and Backstrom... We have been grooming him a Long time. This a game after being a healthy scratch

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I agree with this article about paying for a players past accomplishments
Calgary Flames waive Troy Brouwer in cautionary tale
so when comparing James Neal and Wilson, I probably take Neal to win a game tomorrow, but his contract is much riskier because you expect him to decline and Wilson to improve.

Neal doesn't do anything you can't get from some combination of Oshie and Connolly anyway.

That's a bad choice on your part, to say nothing of their respective performances in the last 7 game series played between them.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie's double whammy directly leading to goals needs to be gif'd. It wasn't his ultra high skill level that led to those goals. It was grit and determination. Oshie comes across as the smiling all american kid but he is a top secret badass. I knew right away when he fought McQuaid in preseason, right after we traded for him.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Neal doesn't do anything you can't get from some combination of Oshie and Connolly anyway.

That's a bad choice on your part, to say nothing of their respective performances in the last 7 game series played between them.
Wilson had 2 g 1 a playing 17 minutes a game with Ovy and Kuzy, Neal has 2 g playing 15 minutes a game with I’m not sure who, also was Vegas’s best forward games 2 and 4

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wilson had 2 g 1 a playing 17 minutes a game with Ovy and Kuzy, Neal has 2 g playing 15 minutes a game with I’m not sure who, also was Vegas’s best forward games 2 and 4

Yeah but....he was so cheesy. Neal, I mean.

Guy was diving right and left looking for fake penalties. It was embarrassing. Keep that clown off any team I root for......please and thank you.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Neal also looked old and slow, and couldn't maintain a physical presence without getting dirty. Throw in what might have been the least-clutch play in recent playoff history and I know who I'm picking.

I'd take any of R. Smith, Tuch, or Marchessault's playoffs/finals over Neal, and if it's just the Finals, Neal got outplayed by Nosek.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah but....he was so cheesy. Neal, I mean.

Guy was diving right and left looking for fake penalties. It was embarrassing. Keep that clown off any team I root for......please and thank you.
Neal has a reputation for diving. Possibly the worst in the league. He can also be dirty at times. Crosby must have taught him while he was with the Pens.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Wish I could block all references or links to RMNB. Don’t want to read anything from them or promote them in any way.

Anyway, for the record, I voted “worth every penny,” but I considered “a little high but ok,” as I figured he is overpaid now but will be a bargain in 3 years time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I heard someone imply he got an extra game for laughing on the bench. He clean destroyed the guy and I always hate suspensions for clean hits, for it slowly removes clean hits from the game. The players stand to lose too much by throwing hits.

We are damn lucky we won the cup for if not I would be so bitter had Tom being unfairly suspected leading to yet another choke. The team rallied behind Tom ( I think Oshie led the way) and sometimes wonder if the suspension actually helped us.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I heard someone imply he got an extra game for laughing on the bench. He clean destroyed the guy and I always hate suspensions for clean hits, for it slowly removes clean hits from the game. The players stand to lose too much by throwing hits.

We are damn lucky we won the cup for if not I would be so bitter had Tom being unfairly suspected leading to yet another choke. The team rallied behind Tom ( I think Oshie led the way) and sometimes wonder if the suspension actually helped us.
Don Cherry. It’s in the vid above.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Considering it was a bogus suspension I wouldn't be surprised.

Still blows my mind that two players can look at each other, understand what is about to happen, it happens, and one player gets suspended for being too big and strong and because the other player couldn't handle it.

If Aston-Reese simply checks up, like he should have, to avoid Wilson he doesn't spend the summer drinking smoothies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->