Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson Re-signs 6 years, $5.17 AAV

How do you feel about Tom Wilson's new contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I dropped out 8 or 9 pages ago, but has anyone brought up that Wilson's stats didn't have a major uptick playing with Kuzya and Ovi? He was still at a similar point pace with them as he was without them? Being a mid 30 point pace I believe.

Again, I don't see how anyone can argue this is anything but a gamble. Sure, you can believe in it, but it's still a gamble of a contract.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I dropped out 8 or 9 pages ago, but has anyone brought up that Wilson's stats didn't have a major uptick playing with Kuzya and Ovi? He was still at a similar point pace with them as he was without them? Being a mid 30 point pace I believe.

Again, I don't see how anyone can argue this is anything but a gamble. Sure, you can believe in it, but it's still a gamble of a contract.

I don't care if Wilson only produces 30-40 points (of course I want more) a season as long as he contributes all over the ice in the ways he currently does. He's far more of a game changer than the documented points show.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Considering it was a bogus suspension I wouldn't be surprised.

Still blows my mind that two players can look at each other, understand what is about to happen, it happens, and one player gets suspended for being too big and strong and because the other player couldn't handle it.

If Aston-Reese simply checks up, like he should have, to avoid Wilson he doesn't spend the summer drinking smoothies.
I didnt like the suspension either. In today's game it may have been borderline because there was contact with his face, even though the initial contact was lower. Not that many years ago that was a textbook hit.
A problem in today's game is that players no have no clue how to absorb a hit. Aston- Reese knew the hit was coming and he made no attempt to absorb the hit. Instead he took Wilson head on and lost. At Some point players have to be held accountable for putting themselves in a vulnerable position.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
A problem in today's game is that players no have no clue how to absorb a hit. Aston- Reese knew the hit was coming and he made no attempt to absorb the hit. Instead he took Wilson head on and lost. At Some point players have to be held accountable for putting themselves in a vulnerable position.

Agree with everything here.

This new breed of "awesome young speedy/skilled" players have never been hit and when they do actually get hit they either get injured or lie on the ice like they are injured to get a call. Watch McDavid or Gudreau anytime they get knocked on their ass, first thing they do is look for a ref and see if an arm is up. It is embarrassing.

I know things change, concussion stuff, etc. and the skill in the league is really exciting for sure, but it really has become unrecognizable from the league I grew up watching in the '80's and '90's with all these butter soft players who couldn't even take a hit from a Bantam player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

all of these contracts are a gamble. The long term to the unproven and the proven. Wilson and Oshie, say. Short term to the proven and unproven are also gambles. Lars Eller's contract extension was a gamble as was John Carlson's.

That said, what about Wilson's track record indicates any real chance that he wont improve? He is still y0ung and should. His game and his role have improved with each season that has passed. Look at his TOI ranking on the team among forwards. What about his playoff performance of 3rd in even strength points and 2nd in even strength points per game says flash in the pan?

I think its crucial to consider the character makeup of this player and how he is trusted throughout the organEYEzation. This is trust that he has earned thru work and accomplishment. Frankly I would love to see the chaos putting him in front of the net on the power play would cause. As both Oshie and Connolly are prone to miss some games, I am pretty sure we will get to see that this season.

One last. I don't think its a coincidence that the Caps playoff performance improved with the elevation of Wilson's game and role on the team. The opposition cant defend against what he brings.

I wonder if Babcock would game plan Tom Wilson now?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
all of these contracts are a gamble. The long term to the unproven and the proven. Wilson and Oshie, say. Short term to the proven and unproven are also gambles. Lars Eller's contract extension was a gamble as was John Carlson's.

That said, what about Wilson's track record indicates any real chance that he wont improve? He is still y0ung and should. His game and his role have improved with each season that has passed. Look at his TOI ranking on the team among forwards. What about his playoff performance of 3rd in even strength points and 2nd in even strength points per game says flash in the pan?

I think its crucial to consider the character makeup of this player and how he is trusted throughout the organEYEzation. This is trust that he has earned thru work and accomplishment. Frankly I would love to see the chaos putting him in front of the net on the power play would cause. As both Oshie and Connolly are prone to miss some games, I am pretty sure we will get to see that this season.

One last. I don't think its a coincidence that the Caps playoff performance improved with the elevation of Wilson's game and role on the team. The opposition cant defend against what he brings.

I wonder if Babcock would game plan Tom Wilson now?
:thumbu:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Another aspect to Wilson getting six years involves an aging Ovie and blossoming Kuzy. It's going to be increasingly more difficult for Ovie to be hitting and defending his linemates, whether thru loss of skating speed or increased chance of self-injury. To my recollection, Kuzy hasn't had to defend himself all that often (Coburn and the Bolts being the one specific time that comes to mind), but with his stellar 2017-18 RS campaign and playoffs, he's likely to become an increasingly marked man for opponents' shenanigans. I see Wilson playing the Semenko role for Kuzy in addition to his usual stuff. Easy to consider perhaps $1m a year of his hit as "insurance" for the Kuze.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I remember Kuzy getting roughed up a bit behind the net with Reeves. Otherwise, Kuzy is a bit of a hot head and doesn't take **** from anyone.
While I agree, it's also true that, especially after the Coburn fight, he can afford to be a hot head because most guys... maybe not a meathead like Reeves... would think twice about reacting, knowing that Willy's on the ice.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Its funny how desperately people (other teams players, coaches, fans, media) want to ignore Wilson. They are so determined to ignore Wilson that they publicly will tell you they are going to ignore that POS. And then go on full-ranting what a horrendous human being he is.

Thats stupid and dangerous hockeywise.

There is really no reason why ZAR should go head to head against the most impactful hitter in the league. If he just absords the hit there, its a nothing-play that has little effect on the game. It was like going at the biggest bully on the schoolyard and challenging him to fight just to show-off your buddies.

Theres a reason we didnt want Willy wasting any of his time with Reeves. As heroic as it would have been, Beagle trying to counterhit Reeves bigtime or our starplayers just ignoring that Reeves is out there looking for a big hit or a scrap would have been stupid. Its just not right to ignore the physical part of the game as hockey still is contact sport.

And as i love the physical part of the game, i couldnt be more happy we have Willy tied up long term. Overpaid by a million? So what. There will always be guys who are overpaid and underpaid and guys who are getting just what they deserve. You just need to find the right guys for the mix.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Another aspect to Wilson getting six years involves an aging Ovie and blossoming Kuzy. It's going to be increasingly more difficult for Ovie to be hitting and defending his linemates, whether thru loss of skating speed or increased chance of self-injury.

Ovechkin dialed back his hitting this regular season (but turned it on for the playoffs). Seems to me this is a measured and intelligent approach given that he is the best goal scorer in the game and aging.

Anyway, I think your point is dead on. Wilson can bring that physicality almost every night.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
William Karlsson of Vegas just signed a 1 year $5.25M deal that still brings him to RFA next year. Morons on the main board will point to WK's 43 goals vs TW's 14 goals, and point to their similar salaries and age and try to disparage TW's contract. But in the Stanley Cup Final, TW neutralized WK with one smashing hit, never to be heard from again. WK can't do that to TW if he tried. There's more to hockey than goals, and what TW brings, not many players can match, or even withstand.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
William Karlsson of Vegas just signed a 1 year $5.25M deal that still brings him to RFA next year. Morons on the main board will point to WK's 43 goals vs TW's 14 goals, and point to their similar salaries and age and try to disparage TW's contract. But in the Stanley Cup Final, TW neutralized WK with one smashing hit, never to be heard from again. WK can't do that to TW if he tried. There's more to hockey than goals, and what TW brings, not many players can match, or even withstand.

It's hard to ignore 43 much less compare it to 14 and defend it.

I'll leave the comparison at this, both guys played vital roles over the year for their team and neither team would have likely been as successful as they were over the year without either guy. They have different roles. To not be able to see past the price tag as many anti-Wilson people seem unable or unwilling to do is just plain dumb.

WK helped Vegas win a few good battles (games) over the year, but Willy was a key player in winning the war (The Cup).

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Willy would have gotten like 3.5 on a one year deal. And I bet you GMGM doesn't get a long term deal at the price if WK has another good season

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

This is getting absurd. The others Caps didn't have anything to do with "neutralizing" Karlsson?

Further, there have probably been quite a number of physical players who have at one point made an impact by damaging an opposition star during playoffs. Should they all get paid like those stars then? And why stop at Karlsson for a comparison -- since there's indeed more to hockey than goals. If Wilson can damage McDavid with a hit, maybe he should get paid 10M+? Brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad