Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson re-signs 2years 2 mil AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good for Willy, a fair deal for a 3.5 that can change games.

Every little bit counts but it's the big contracts that really hurt.

Maybe justify it like this, who do opposition defensemen fear more? Wilson at 2M or Yo Flyby Hansen at 5M? I don't think a single Dman fears MJ in any aspect of his game.

Sarge got 2.75. Players are overpaid on every team. So he got an extra .5 for 2 years in an armchair market, at least we will get our money back on guaranteed blood sweat and tears from at least one player for 2 years. Other contracts on our team sting more.

For those bent he didn't do anything in the playoffs, at least he wasn't a liability like other players making much more money than he did.

Too bad Barry didn't give him PP time during the long coast job in the RS, for when he was thrown out on the PP late in game 6, it was new for him. Had he been groomed for that moment, maybe he pots one and all would like this contract.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Another player who has recently signed a ~$2M contract is Riley Sheahan.
The price is probably a little bit high, as Tom's reputation calls neglect his physical presence, and Beagle is paid less. Then again, Wilson's a unique skillset on the team and his playing value is steadily rising. If he isn't worth this contract though, we'll have a barely NHL 4th line again.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Tom better improve to justify this raise. I want him to succeed, so he can quiet his detractors. If he doesn't, I might just become a detractor myself.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Once again, how does the market come into play? The Capitals are under no obligation to award him the same amount as Jason Zucker. Wilson has no arbitration rights. Wilson's negotiations with other teams are limited to offer sheets. Without that leverage, why should the Capitals give Wilson the same payment as Zucker?

That also completely ignores that Zucker scored 21 goals the year before (and 13 this past year).

Are you suggesting that because Wilson is a RFA without arbitration rights, that somehow the Caps can ignore what goes on around the league and just pay him whatever they dictate? Even as a RFA, these are used as starting points for duscussions so that both sides negotiate with some level of good faith.

Zucker IMO isn't really a true comparable IMO except in points in a down year and would have been paid a lot more had he not had a major injury followed up by a terrible year. Still it feels like the Wild got themselves a deal and we overpaid by $1 over 2 years.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Eller and Wilson on the third line screams "lots of forechecking, cycling, and time killing with very little actual scoring opportunities.

So the two guys Caps are committing to adding scoring depth are Eller and Wilson - both who have lots of NHL experience now and have yet to hit 30+ points in a year.

Caps fwds two years ago:
Ovi
Backstrom
Brouwer
Kuzy
Johansson
Ward
Chimera
Fehr
Wilson
Beagle
Burakovsky
Laich

Forwards this year:
Ovi
Backstrom
Oshie
Kuzy
Burro
Williams
Johansson
Eller
Wilson
Winnik
Beagle
TBA

....... That's minimal improvement - if any.

Defense two years ago:
Carlson
Alzner
Orpik
Niskanen
Green
Gleason

Forwards this year:
Carlson
Alzner
Orpik
Niskanen
Orlov
Schmidt

..... That's a worse overall defense.

Not sure why GMBM has so many people drink the juice. I just don't see Cup contending improvement anywhere. It's just rotating depth guys out trying to hope that's the difference maker. You don't go from winning one series at most to winning four series in a row by swapping chimera's for eller's, etc.

Look at past cup winning teams and see their recent additions.... We're talking game changers. LA cup runs added carter, Richards, and Gaborik. Chicago has added big time pieces in free agency or trading their 1st rd pick always to get much better too. Pitt added Kessel, Hornqvist, Bonino, and tons others.

If you looked at roster one I posted from two years ago VS roster as of right now - I just don't see any real improvements that makes me go "oh yeah, this team is much better and has a better chance of winning 4x the amt of playoff series now"!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure everyone is clear on the whole rotating spare parts strategy.

I'm guessing if there were clear upgrades out there to be had that make sense beyond what we've seen GMBM do so far, he would have pulled the trigger.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Pretty sure everyone is clear on the whole rotating spare parts strategy.

I'm guessing if there were clear upgrades out there to be had that make sense beyond what we've seen GMBM do so far, he would have pulled the trigger.

It's the same "we like our team" mentality GMGM had for a decade plus. GMBM was handed the future core of this team from GMGM. Our current six most valuable players/core are Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzy, Carlson, Alzner, and Holtby. That's the same damn core that there is now and if you look at the rest of the roster It's all the same ****. Some rotated guys in/out - but no real improvements.

There's nothing really different from this Caps team from 2, 3, or 4 years ago. The same top players are the ones that need to carry the load - and there's been no REAL help added to help those guys out. Depth is basically the same. Where's the top help? The difference making top help that Cup winning teams add...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Totally good with this deal. As mentioned same range as people in the same point level and also Willy brings something else to the game that a lot of people don't. I know they've backed him off the fighting but with Latta leaving I feel like they're going to let him drop the hammer again. He's now the guy to handle stuff.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's the same "we like our team" mentality GMGM had for a decade plus. GMBM was handed the future core of this team from GMGM. Our current six most valuable players/core are Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzy, Carlson, Alzner, and Holtby. That's the same damn core that there is now and if you look at the rest of the roster It's all the same ****. Some rotated guys in/out - but no real improvements.

There's nothing really different from this Caps team from 2, 3, or 4 years ago. The same top players are the ones that need to carry the load - and there's been no REAL help added to help those guys out. Depth is basically the same. Where's the top help? The difference making top help that Cup winning teams add...

There are differences, some significant, some not. Overall they're better IMO, but still not a winner.

What are you suggesting a major core trade? You may get that in a year...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Eller and Wilson on the third line screams "lots of forechecking, cycling, and time killing with very little actual scoring opportunities.

So the two guys Caps are committing to adding scoring depth are Eller and Wilson - both who have lots of NHL experience now and have yet to hit 30+ points in a year.

Caps fwds two years ago:
Ovi
Backstrom
Brouwer
Kuzy
Johansson
Ward
Chimera
Fehr
Wilson
Beagle
Burakovsky
Laich

Forwards this year:
Ovi
Backstrom
Oshie
Kuzy
Burro
Williams
Johansson
Eller
Wilson
Winnik
Beagle
TBA

....... That's minimal improvement - if any.

Defense two years ago:
Carlson
Alzner
Orpik
Niskanen
Green
Gleason

Forwards this year:
Carlson
Alzner
Orpik
Niskanen
Orlov
Schmidt

..... That's a worse overall defense.

Not sure why GMBM has so many people drink the juice. I just don't see Cup contending improvement anywhere. It's just rotating depth guys out trying to hope that's the difference maker. You don't go from winning one series at most to winning four series in a row by swapping chimera's for eller's, etc.

Look at past cup winning teams and see their recent additions.... We're talking game changers. LA cup runs added carter, Richards, and Gaborik. Chicago has added big time pieces in free agency or trading their 1st rd pick always to get much better too. Pitt added Kessel, Hornqvist, Bonino, and tons others.

If you looked at roster one I posted from two years ago VS roster as of right now - I just don't see any real improvements that makes me go "oh yeah, this team is much better and has a better chance of winning 4x the amt of playoff series now"!

Don't forget Bowey and Vrana have a good shot at making this team. They could both potentially be an upgrade and likely are. If Bowey manages to catch on quick he's probably >>>> Schmidt. Vrana is supreme talented and adds another point producer.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Don't forget Bowey and Vrana have a good shot at making this team. They could both potentially be an upgrade and likely are. If Bowey manages to catch on quick he's probably >>>> Schmidt. Vrana is supreme talented and adds another point producer.

Unfortunately the oraganizational M.O. has been like this during the Ovechkin era:

Wait for Ovie and Backstrom to develop...then

Wait for Schutz and Green to develop...then

Wait for Calzner to develop...then

Wait for our young goalies to develop...then

Wait for Kuznetsov, Wilson and Burakovski to develop...and now

Wait for Schmorlov to develop...and then we'll

Wait for Bowey and Vrana to develop...

You guys sensing a trend here?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is a pretty clear indicator to me that gaining Lars Eller and subtracting Chimera (and Richards/Latta) was the off-season. Not pinching pennies on this contract means they aren't terribly concerned with fitting an additional player onto the roster. Nothing more than very small pieces from here on out.

Trotz was on Elliot in the morning a couple days ago and he said the Ellers trade was about it off season wise beyond resigning their own guys. He did say there was a chance to add a vet later in the off season who was on the market for a while.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wilson wont be on the 4th line

As much as I don't want Wilson penciled in on the 3rd line, it's looks like you're probably right unless another move is made in the offseason.

I guess the weird thing to me about wanting to pencil Wilson in as a third liner is that he is basically a functional equivalent to Daniel Winnik except the RW vs. LW difference and that Wilson hits more, but no one's penciling in Winnik on the third line. They score at about the same rate (Winnik: .25 pts/game, Wilson: .28 pts/game) and they both PK quite a bit. I imagine the argument is probably that Wilson has room to grow and that Winnik does not, and I agree with this theoretically.

But did Wilson really improve offensively much from 2014-15 to 2015-16?

2014-15: 17 points in 67 games (4 goals, 13 assists, .253 pts/game)
2015-16: 23 points in 82 games (7 goals, 16 assists, .280 pts/game)

Why is the increase in production between 2015-16 and 2016-17 going to be drastically higher than the slight increase between 2014-15 and 2015-16? Offense is much harder to teach than defense and requires a much different skillset, so I don't really see his newly learned ability as a defender and PKer as evidence that he can be "taught" how to score.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Is Mojo-Eller-Wilson the 3rd line? I think 50 goals is a reasonable expectation for our 3rd and that line isn't going to hit that number. I do think Wilson will get better, and I do think he's eventually a 2/3 winger, but he better have one hell of an off season because he's nothing but a 4th liner right now.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I like the idea of Eller-Wilson...just with something else on the LW not named Mojo.

I just don't know who. Burakovsky might work, but he seems a fit for the 2nd

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Is Mojo-Eller-Wilson the 3rd line? I think 50 goals is a reasonable expectation for our 3rd and that line isn't going to hit that number. I do think Wilson will get better, and I do think he's eventually a 2/3 winger, but he better have one hell of an off season because he's nothing but a 4th liner right now.

Johansson's career high esg is 17 with a career average of 11/82 And again he's played most of his career with incredible linemates and never demonstrated consistent scoring ability away from them.

Eller's career high ESG is 14 with a career average of 12/82.

Wilson is an extremely limited offensive player right now.

Throw in the fact that Trotz is going to bury them with defensive assignments and 50 goals would be a miracle.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Johansson's career high esg is 17 with a career average of 11/82 And again he's played most of his career with incredible linemates and never demonstrated consistent scoring ability away from them.

Eller's career high ESG is 14 with a career average of 12/82.

Wilson is an extremely limited offensive player right now.

Throw in the fact that Trotz is going to bury them with defensive assignments and 50 goals would be a miracle.

Sure, that's the point. If improving the bottom 6 was the goal, these aren't the droids we're looking for.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Reading some of the Canadiens feedback on Eller, they describe him as a possession type of player who's good at cycling the puck. I can see Wilson fitting in with Eller and his style, but no way in Hades does MAJO. If it comes to that I'd rather just resign Chimera and return him to third line and see if MAJO would still reap a late first round return.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
The improvement should come from Bura, Wilson, Eller and maybe Vrana i'm guessing.

Kuz has already taken the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad