Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson re-signs 2years 2 mil AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What is the caps cap situation like now? Anyone care to break it down?

Damn I miss capgeek....

They only have $8.88M left to spend on Orlov, Johansson, and two more forwards.

The Wilson deal seems like at least $500k too much, but I haven't really looked at comparables.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland

The Wilson deal seems like at least $500k too much, but I haven't really looked at comparables.

I started to, but could only think of Marcus Foligno who signed for 3years at 1,875m (I think). And Foligno had more points then Willy.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

I think everyone here wanted him to get 1.5 max, but Wilson is the only player who can fight, hit, make crazy other fans and other key players. And since the last year, he can also PK.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i imagine that this is a sign that the Caps plan is not to stick Wilson on the 4th line and let him play higher in the lineup if someone gets dinged or oversleeps a meeting.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Other players who received $2M AAV 2nd contracts:
Marcus Johansson
Andrew Shaw
Colin Wilson
Craig Smith
Brandon Sutter ($2.066M)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I started to, but could only think of Marcus Foligno who signed for 3years at 1,875m (I think). And Foligno had more points then Willy.

Well he actually didn't. They both had the same points last year and foglino had 3 more points the year before. That's basically nothing

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's a fair deal. The market is the reason for this deal

How does the market come into play? Wilson doesn't have arbitration rights, and as an RFA is limited in his ability to play the market. The only tool Wilson would have would be an offer sheet, which NHL teams are historically hesitant to give out. Do you have any evidence to suggest another team was preparing to sign Wilson to an offer sheet?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
How does the market come into play? Wilson doesn't have arbitration rights, and as an RFA is limited in his ability to play the market. The only tool Wilson would have would be an offer sheet, which NHL teams are historically hesitant to give out. Do you have any evidence to suggest another team was preparing to sign Wilson to an offer sheet?

The market

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Meh, its not good, not terrible. Hopefully Wilson is working on his offensive game this off season. Still think he can develop a net presence. I want him to start on the 4th line and earn his way up. Now trade Winnik for a draft pick.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

The market

Once again, how does the market come into play? The Capitals are under no obligation to award him the same amount as Jason Zucker. Wilson has no arbitration rights. Wilson's negotiations with other teams are limited to offer sheets. Without that leverage, why should the Capitals give Wilson the same payment as Zucker?

That also completely ignores that Zucker scored 21 goals the year before (and 13 this past year).

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Well he actually didn't. They both had the same points last year and foglino had 3 more points the year before. That's basically nothing

Right you are about he points accumulated. I meant during his ELC though. Foligno had 50 pts in 135 games (.37pts/g). Willy has 50 in 231 (.22pts/g)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well. We aren't getting Radulov.

OK. Wilson is top-9 RW now. Maybe they'll try him with Ovi even.

Meh. But OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad