Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's less about direct transferable skills from economics and more about this is a guy who actually had a college education (Ivy League!), compared to most of the ex-players they tap for DoPS jobs, who opted into high schools that would cater to their junior hockey ambitions and likely haven't had any legitimate education past age 16 or so.

It seems you guys are just upset that Wilson got punished ("he should tell [sic] Bentman no that Tom's hit was not worth 4 games") and are thus declaring Parros unfit. I don't love Parros at this job, but I do think he's more qualified than their previous few heads of DoPS. And it's not like their previous heads have been any more consistent with rulings (remember "Campbell's wheel of justice?").

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's less about direct transferable skills from economics and more about this is a guy who actually had a college education (Ivy League!), compared to most of the ex-players they tap for DoPS jobs, who opted into high schools that would cater to their junior hockey ambitions and likely haven't had any legitimate education past age 16 or so.

It seems you guys are just upset that Wilson got punished ("he should tell [sic] Bentman no that Tom's hit was not worth 4 games") and are thus declaring Parros unfit. I don't love Parros at this job, but I do think he's more qualified than their previous few heads of DoPS. And it's not like their previous heads have been any more consistent with rulings (remember "Campbell's wheel of justice?").

Right. It's just homerism over Wilson. Nobody here has any reason to be suspicious of the league front office and there's no history of the DOPS being arbitrary and/or inconsistent....

Reactions: RandyHolt

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

Doesn't matter what qualifications someone does or does not have or if they are "fit" for the job. Parros is strictly there as an image stunt by the NHL. He is no different than the past 2-3 heads of the DoPS. The same baffling decisions are still made.

I want to say something about the Wilson aspect of this but this website is very close to unusably slow and my lunch is over.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have slowness issues regularly while at work. I believe it's an issue with the new forum and older browsers (like the ones typically installed on office computers).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've heard that the mandatory.com address now being used may be causing problems for some at places of work. Apparently some businesses filter that domain because it has some adult websites associated with it somehow. This is a big problem the admins are aware of.

As for why it might be slow instead of completely blocked, I'm guessing your traffic is being filtered pretty thoroughly and your web browsing is being manually inspected lol only half kidding

(edit: yes, I'm guessing older browsers and slower computers could have issues...the newer a page is the more likely it is to have a shit ton of multimedia embedding and script overload)

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I've heard that the mandatory.com address now being used may be causing problems for some at places of work. Apparently some businesses filter that domain because it has some adult websites associated with it somehow. This is a big problem the admins are aware of.

As for why it might be slow instead of completely blocked, I'm guessing your traffic is being filtered pretty thoroughly and your web browsing is being manually inspected lol only half kidding

(edit: yes, I'm guessing older browsers and slower computers could have issues...the newer a page is the more likely it is to have a **** ton of multimedia embedding and script overload)
Interesting... It seems to be site specific though. I was bouncing around on Twitch during lunch at the same time with no issue. I'm not going to test during a non-lunch hour but it seemed like an issue when quoting a post that had anything beyond just text (link, media and etc).

The machine I use is on the newer series of Mac OS and most up to date Chrome.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So...top line Willy.

Washington Capitals Tom Wilson Thriving on Top Line

“I’ve been thinking about [line shuffling] for a while," Trotz said. “I said I needed to get back to our identity in terms of everybody can pull their own weight."

Backstrom also believes that the line changes were necessary, and ultimately, it worked out or the best.
“We need that," Backstrom said. “It wasn’t working the way we played, so I’m sure the coaching staff felt that way, they wanted to switch things up."

“It’s just keeping my feet moving, creating energy, creating an element that’s hard to play against for that line, getting in on the forecheck and winning puck battles," Wilson said. “When I can win my battles and get the puck to [Ovechkin and Backstrom], it’s in good hands and so far it’s been pretty good and we just gotta keep that going."

There to stay, or just a shot in the arm?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So...top line Willy.

Washington Capitals Tom Wilson Thriving on Top Line

There to stay, or just a shot in the arm?

I hope it's permanent. Everyone benefits from that line combination. Backstrom gets a hard working guy that hits everything in sight and battles for the puck in the corner, Ovechkin gets a net front presence and Wilson gets to play with the two best players on the team. Maybe that's what he needs to take the next step forward in his development as a player?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd like to see him continue on the top line. He's already got the defensive game down so I'm not afraid of him going against opposing top lines (and balancing Ovechkin's weak defensive game), he's less likely to be called for dumb penalties because he's not going against goons, it's probably his best opportunity to develop an offensive game, and most importantly the line just clicks according to the numbers.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I'd like to see him continue on the top line. He's already got the defensive game down so I'm not afraid of him going against opposing top lines (and balancing Ovechkin's weak defensive game), he's less likely to be called for dumb penalties because he's not going against goons, it's probably his best opportunity to develop an offensive game, and most importantly the line just clicks according to the numbers.
Looks like it is going pretty well so far. He is doing a decent job on the boards and putting himself in good scoring positions. He starts finishing plays and the current .5PPG pace over the last 16 games could go up. Hell, he should have scored 2 goals last night.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Here’s a good look at how Wilson has improved the top line:

upload_2017-12-7_10-8-36.png

(stolen shamelessly from JapersRink twitter)

They won't continue to get 80+% of the goals but they should be in good shape going forward if their shots are above 50% and their scoring chances are at around 60%.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Tbh, 8-19-43 surge is probably not cause by 43 alone. I suspect 8 is the main force of that process. He's moving and suddenly everything works.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Tbh, 8-19-43 surge is probably not cause by 43 alone. I suspect 8 is the main force of that process. He's moving and suddenly everything works.

This isn't the first time Wilson has shown flashes while playing with players who have real talent. This run of play is likely going to regress and that line will ebb and flow in terms of effectiveness -- just like every other line in hockey -- but Wilson has certainly shown he's capable of developing into more than a plug or an agitator. People who don't see the vast improvements in his game have an axe to grind and are more concerned with protecting their narrative than with objectively discussing the player.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

8-19-43 has had chemistry going back to 2014-15. It's not just a matter of Ovechkin playing better IMO, though he certainly has been great recently. Wilson really does add something as a top line player.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Wilson would've benefited by playing in Hershey for a year, he was kinda rushed a bit. His maturation is what I've been impressed with, he picks his spots more now, instead of playing reckless. When this team needs a spark, he often supplies one, whether by a heavy hit, or dropping the gloves, especially when it's standing up for a teammate. I also think that his expanded role (more minutes, PK, playing with better linemates) has helped both him and the Caps tap into his potential. Yeah, he had 4pts against subpar goalies, but games like last night is nice reward for his effort and value to the team. He's gonna get paid more than the $2M he's getting this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad